Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Annoying american terminology watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    The problem is: the Americans call their version of English "English" and don't care about other languages.
    so what is the relevance of US English?

The fact that it originated from the UK is irrelevant to them, and has been for over 200 years.
    as it should be. they treat UK English as UK English and US English as US English. if they are speaking to a spaniard then theyll obviously just refer to 'English' as recognition of a broader difference.

your whole problem, as your joke suggests, is one of the respect the Americans are meant to show the British because "we made 'em"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Stephen Fry came and spoke to my school a while ago and he spoke for a while about Americans and he said some funny things. Generally, he said he really liked them as people but they did say some very odd phrases. He was filming with Meg Ryan once and after she had said her line wrong on a couple of occasions she came out with "That line just doesn't nourish me" Apparently himself and an aussie in the room were the only people who thought this was a slightly odd thing to say.
    Americans use their language with a lot of flexibility.
    English isn't even their official language. They probably just see it as a tool they use to make themselves understood. When an American makes a spelling, grammar or vocabulary "mistake", they just say that it's an alternative way of saying what they want to say. To them, saying that someone made a mistake is arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I suppose if you put it like that, it seems quite admirable to have specified the 'US', rather than specifiying plain 'English' and having English people moan about Americanisms in it...
    exactly, which is why i was baffled that, on this thread of "moaning about Americanisms", it wasnt actually viewed in a postive light. of course, i assumed the gripes were specifically in regard to the language and nothing to do with being american.

ReputationRep:
    i love snatch but lock stock is better, i think americanism are confusing especially (due to my previous american girlfriend) the whole pants/trouser thing which developed into a horribly embarassing situation. oh well we have a head of state who can string a sentence together (albeit with stammers in between)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    cinemas are called theatres, short for MOVIE theatres because they show movies...i would have thought that made sense.

And who the hell calls a film a motion picture event?

"Hey Jim, let's go see a motion picture event tonight"

doesn't happen mate.
    yeah, i have never heard that either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    its only in recent history that what we are conversing in now is known as English.
    The term Englisc, refering to the language was used about 500 years before the term Engaland.

A form of English we can still understand has been used for about 1000 years, in Wales as late as 1890 30% of Welsh people could not speak English even though it had been the official language since 1500 (ish).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Americans use their language with a lot of flexibility.
    English isn't even their official language. They probably just see it as a tool they use to make themselves understood. When an American makes a spelling, grammar or vocabulary "mistake", they just say that it's an alternative way of saying what they want to say. To them, saying that someone made a mistake is arrogant.
    But it's still quite funny when someone puts a work into a totally different context, it could be considered poetic, but there's just something odd saying that words don't nourish you. I suppose it's just us brits' outlook on it.

ReputationRep:
    exactly, which is why i was baffled that, on this thread of "moaning about Americanisms", it wasnt actually viewed in a postive light. of course, i assumed the gripes were specifically in regard to the language and nothing to do with being american.
    i think it was started as a light hearted idea but now has turned into a full debate

ReputationRep:
    I though this was going to be humorous, not a moan.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    i think it was started as a light hearted idea but now has turned into a full debate
    god forbid a light hearted conversation happen in general chat :eek:

ReputationRep:
    My Australian wife likes to call flip-flops 'thongs'...
    yer my science partner (at school) always calles them thongs, really confuses me. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    I hate it when English people use American teriminology, like saying "ass" instead of arse. *******s.
    Yeah god forbid there is any difference between two countries. What a stupid remark.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that happened to me one of my mum's friends (male) who lives in australia asked me if i wanted to borrow a pair of his thongs took me a while to work that one out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    hehe, which for once, was not my doing..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    I though this was going to be humerous, not a moan.
    some people dont find anti-americanism all that amusing, but hey i was willing to play along all the same.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Yeah god forbid there is any difference between two countries. What a stupid remark.
    Again I think the point was people trying to talk like someone they're not rather than the existance of the two different words.

It's like if a bunch of your friends all started using the word "******" because it made them sound englsih because they associated english with "cool" (if that makes sense) - it's the behaviour not the language that irritates

ReputationRep:
    some people dont find anti-americanism all that amusing, but hey i was willing to play along all the same.
    no, I thought this was going to be point out funny uses of the english language, not an attact on americans or a debate about the english language, like pig's thong story. this is like D+D all over again

ReputationRep:
    See here's a bloke who knows where its at. I don't see PadFoot moaning about our weird expressions and phrases and different spellings, its just accepted, right?
    right. haha thanks pig

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that caused confusion on the honeymoon when she asked you to put your thong on
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I imagine that caused confusion on the honeymoon when she asked you to put your thong on
    *disturbing mental image of piggy in "thongs" AND a thong* :eek:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.