Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    so destroying property is better then arguing?
    Actually. That's what I was thinking. In the US, you would never do that as the right to property is sacred. I personally would be very pissed off at getting my headphones ruined like that, as I told you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    i was just kidding
    OMG and american with a sense of humour :eek: *

*note this is a joke - I'm only implying that americans are humourless because I know that padfoot and hopefully anyone else reading will realise that I'm poking fun and not trying to slander the citizens of the US
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Actually. That's what I was thinking. In the US, you would never do that as the right to property is sacred. I personally would be very pissed off at getting my headphones ruined like that, as I told you.
    Would you have turned them down when asked though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Is the intention to appear more American though, or just trying to appear somehow funky and different, which coincidentally happens to include using Americanisms?
    I remember reading a great essay about trying to appear American: there's nothing more pathetic than trying to sound/look American when you're not. If you actually went to the US, you'd just be laughed at.
    If you actually plan to go to the US, you should practice on the typical British English, it's much more endearing. (I used "you", but I wasn't referring to you pig)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    OMG and american with a sense of humour :eek: *

*note this is a joke - I'm only implying that americans are humourless because I know that padfoot and hopefully anyone else reading will realise that I'm poking fun and not trying to slander the citizens of the US
    OMG a secretary with a sense of humor *

*also a joke
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    OMG a secretary with a sense of humor *

*also a joke
    but who has difficulty typing an without making mistakes

*hands in her resignation as a secretary*

ReputationRep:
    but who has difficulty typing an without making mistakes

*hands in her resignation as a secretary*
    Your better then i am, although thats not saying very much
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Your better then i am, although thats not saying very much
    You're not your

*runs away*

ReputationRep:
    muahaha i have no joined the emma watson fan club forum time to traumatise some children

ReputationRep:
    You're not your

*runs away*
    i was just testing you

ReputationRep:
    Would you have turned them down when asked though?
    Probably but an American would probably think it's his right to listen to his music.
    This is just a great example of a clash of cultures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    muahaha i have no joined the emma watson fan club forum time to traumatise some children
    excellent

*calls police*

ReputationRep:
    actually i don't think i'll have to
    h3r f33t ar3 s0 s3xxxy. i can't stop thinking about them. i stare at them in the pic i have all day. it makes me so happy. it makes me space out and nothing can go wrong.

please say if anyone else f33ls this way. or any words of help

taken from the site

ReputationRep:
    No - please don't put words in my mouth,
    oh, there's really no need.

"it would be irritating in the same sort of way as if your friends/people around you..trying to be/pretending to be/acting like something they're not"

"English people are "faking it" to appear more american "

what similarities are you drawing between that and american speech?

if you don't understand my meaning then ask me to clarify before accusing me of anti americanism.
    i didnt accuse you of anti-americanism, i was following on from this,

"English people are "faking it" to appear more american (and therefore "cool"),"

"Would that sort of thing be irritating because it[faking it] would be like doing down their own nationality (yours) in favour of another, thus making out you and your nationality to be somehow inferior"

ReputationRep:
    now i'm just scared

for liking emma watson but i say no!! just becoz she is young does not mean i am pedo. she is v grown up in mind i can tell from intervews and why is it wrong anyway my friend sister is 9 and we kiss often is that wrong? i dont think so she says she likes it now

do u guys consider urself pedos?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vienna95)
    what similarities are you drawing between that and american speech?
    I wasn't - I was trying to put someone else example of something that annoyed them into context from another point of view

I certainly didn't imply anywhere that
    (Original post by Vienna95)
    americans fake it?

i didnt accuse you of anti-americanism
    so which suggestions of inferiority exactly where you referring to when you said
    suggestions of inferiority is anti-americanism
    Because my interpretation of:

"English people are "faking it" to appear more american (and therefore "cool"),"
    "Would that sort of thing be irritating because it[faking it] would be like doing down their own nationality (yours) in favour of another, thus making out you and your nationality to be somehow inferior"

is that it's in reference to British people regarding their own nationality to be inferior - and americans to be superior.

I'm unsure where you got the interpretation that brits pretending to be more american implies that they or anyone else considers america to be inferior?

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't - I was trying to put someone else example of something that annoyed them into context from another point of view

I certainly didn't imply anywhere that
    well, it was implied, but i doubted you actually meant that.

so which suggestions of inferiority exactly where you referring to when you said

is that it's in reference to British people regarding their own nationality to be inferior - and americans to be superior.

I'm unsure where you got the interpretation that brits pretending to be more american implies that they or anyone else considers america to be inferior?
    an example,to which you refer here, was used to see it from a British perspective. i was referring to the initial implication that piginapoke also pointed out, "Would that sort of thing be irritating because it would be like doing down their own nationality (yours) in favour of another, thus making out you and your nationality to be somehow inferior? I'm fishing here, but its the only rationalisation I can think of."

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose it would appear pathetic to some (i.e. the nationality that is being played down), but is possibly a complement to Americans, that these people so want to be like them or admire their culture.

Re. speaking, I have noticed that almost unconsciously my speaking style does change slightly to accommodate people around me. I am probably quite unintelligible to a lot of people (including British people) when I talk normally, but my accent appears to lessen when needed, although I don't do it on purpose.

I may sound like I'm waffling (and I am), but my whole point is to say that IMO people should make an effort to be understood by their audience, not just speak however they like no matter who they are talking to disregarding the audience's understanding. So in that regard, I can't say I've gone out of my way to underline my Britishness abroad, rather just taken into account who I am speaking to and which phrases they will probably understand. Its easier than having to explain what each phrase means or repeat myself.
    Yes, you end up adapting yourself to your surroundings. I have to agree. After two years in North America, most British expressions had been banned from my vocabulary.

I was referring to trying to appear American when you're not. There's nothing admirable about that at all because you can't appear American if you're not. You can try as hard as you want, but you'll always be a Brit trying to be American and in my opinion, there's nothing more pathetic.

Just imagine a Mexican guy wearing a US Flag t-shirt and trying to sing like James Brown. Would you think that guy is cool?

It's hard to realise how people from different cultures see you. That's probably what's so great about Sasha Baron Cohen's character, Ali G. He was pointing out the fact that trying to be something you're not, is pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    'oh my gawd'...SO SO ANNOYING 'you know what im sayin'

ReputationRep:
    Well I see what you mean, but this relates only to people who have suddenly decided to adopt another nationality or culture as their own, and are ostensibly gauche and inept at doing so. One could reasonably move to America, and after a certain time be accepted as American as long as one had adapated sufficiently and 'blended in', or at least no longer appear as British as one was.
    Yes, in theory, anyone can become American but you'd have to be in America for that to happen. Although, I don't believe in forgetting your background, I find it acceptable.
    I was referring to British people trying to be American with other British people.

The number of British music vids that are on the telly now with artists trying to look American is just a joke. These guys have no credibility whatsoever. I'm always thinking how Americans would laugh at these vids if the videos were actually good enough to be exported.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.