Issues with dad

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

My dad and i were close when were younger but it was only until i started growing up i began to notice the issues between us.

Before i was born my parents were involved in a horrible car crash, this led to my dad breaking many of his bones and this left him in a feeble state. Because of this my dad gets frustrated which is justified but sometimes some of the things he said is horrible.

Even before the accident my dad was known for being an aggressive and short tempered person and even though now he has an excuse for saying the things he does it still feels unjustified.

He mentally abuses me by calling me horrible things and he constantly degrades us. Whenever something little isn't perfect he begins to spew out insults and some of them really hurt, because of this i have had a decline in mental health and have been told by many (teachers) to go to therapy as something about my behaviour always seemed off, every time i think that he has maybe changed and i should give him a chance, a couple of hours later the whole thing starts again and it keeps on taking a toll on me.

I can't deal with this anymore and i just don't know what to do, i feel like i am constantly stuck in an ongoing loop of false hope and forgiveness. I'm a wreck and often i feel like i am the root cause of all things bad in my house, i have contemplated bad things and i almost took my life last year as an attempt to get away from this, i do not want to go to a professional nor do i want to involve anyone in this matter, i just need help coping with it all.

sorry for the length..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My dad and i were close when were younger but it was only until i started growing up i began to notice the issues between us.

Before i was born my parents were involved in a horrible car crash, this led to my dad breaking many of his bones and this left him in a feeble state. Because of this my dad gets frustrated which is justified but sometimes some of the things he said is horrible.

Even before the accident my dad was known for being an aggressive and short tempered person and even though now he has an excuse for saying the things he does it still feels unjustified.

He mentally abuses me by calling me horrible things and he constantly degrades us. Whenever something little isn't perfect he begins to spew out insults and some of them really hurt, because of this i have had a decline in mental health and have been told by many (teachers) to go to therapy as something about my behaviour always seemed off, every time i think that he has maybe changed and i should give him a chance, a couple of hours later the whole thing starts again and it keeps on taking a toll on me.

I can't deal with this anymore and i just don't know what to do, i feel like i am constantly stuck in an ongoing loop of false hope and forgiveness. I'm a wreck and often i feel like i am the root cause of all things bad in my house, i have contemplated bad things and i almost took my life last year as an attempt to get away from this, i do not want to go to a professional nor do i want to involve anyone in this matter, i just need help coping with it all.

sorry for the length..
    You say you don't want help from a professional or anything but if your life was in danger like last year and your dad is behaving in the way he is towards you then really you both need help. What would be best would be to go to your GP and ask what's available for you and your dad/family. Explain how he is behaving and say you know obviously he's frustrated with his situation but you simply can't handle it and need support. Honestly it's the best idea so please go through that initial uncomfortable feeling to get the help you need . Things like this are really difficult but you won't be able to do well and get on with your life if you just cope alone. It's simply too difficult to juggle it all as a young person. Take care!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

sorry for the length..
    I'm sorry your home situation is not comfortable for you and you feel emotionally unwell. Rest assured you are far from the only one to have had difficult home experiences in growing up and so many people are eventually able to rise from these stronger and wiser people with the right support. Remember always that bad times do pass and there is always goodness to be rediscovered.
    Definitely seek the help of a counsellor through school or ring the Nspcc about this situation as soon as you can. You deserve support.
    Do you have any understanding immediate family members or relatives? If so you should confide in them the way you feel and how hard things are for you right now .
    Ultimately never feel alone. seek support from professional adults

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.