ned help acting on obvious target

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    so i'm doing A2 physics and i am pretty bad at it, getting majority of the questions i do wrong. my friend who gets consistent A's (now A*'s) says to get better at a topic do as many past paper questions on it as possible. the only problem is i absolutely HATE it when i get something wrong and then cant understand why which completly de-motivates me. i know that if i actually do the questions itll help loads as "im a very smart person" according to all the teachers but i just cant bring myself to do it as i feel like ill always be crap at it.
    I'm fairly bad with words but if anyone has had this kind of experience and has gotten over it can you give me some tips, would be greatly appreciated.

Oh friggin hell, apolgies for the poor spelling of "need", you know what i mean :P

ReputationRep:
    Sounds more like a motivational issue... probably you should try and concentrate on the payoff for getting things right rather than beating yourself up excessively over mistakes. calm yourself - count to ten or whatever and do it again.

analyse at the type of mistakes you're making and if you're falling down frequently in the same areas come up with a strategy to fix it... e.g. if you make a lot of unit errors make it an unbreakable ritual to convert everything to SI before you do any calculations.

tbh the people here on the physics forum love it when someone's tried a question and can't work out what they've done wrong so you can ask here if you're stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    so i'm doing A2 physics and i am pretty bad at it, getting majority of the questions i do wrong. my friend who gets consistent A's (now A*'s) says to get better at a topic do as many past paper questions on it as possible. the only problem is i absolutely HATE it when i get something wrong and then cant understand why which completly de-motivates me. i know that if i actually do the questions itll help loads as "im a very smart person" according to all the teachers but i just cant bring myself to do it as i feel like ill always be crap at it.
    I'm fairly bad with words but if anyone has had this kind of experience and has gotten over it can you give me some tips, would be greatly appreciated.

Oh friggin hell, apolgies for the poor spelling of "need", you know what i mean :P
    As Joinedup said, conserve your energy for congratulating yourself with the things you get right and channel that energy into cracking the next problem without beating yourself up over it.

Physics and maths require the learner to conquer the foundation topics before moving on to the higher stuff.

That means understanding 'why' it works the way it does and not simply trying to remember an algorithm to get to the answer. Often it shows that AS learning may need to be revisited because you may have missed something vital required for A2.

Try posting a question here on TSR including the answer you got wrong in it's entirety.

People will be only too pleased to guide and help you understand how to get to the correct answer and improve your knowledge of the subject.

Stick with it - you can conquer it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.