chances of getting in for maths at Oxford or LSE

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on a gap year after achieving A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Business Studies and i want to study maths at oxford or maths with economics at LSE and I do realise that for maths applicants a gap year isn't a great idea but i plan on studying a couple of additional a level maths modules to keep my maths skills up to standard swell as practice for MAT. However during year 12 i didn't put in much effort into any subjects and revised an hour or 2 on the day of the exam for pretty much all of them and I received ABCD in Maths, F.Maths, Business Studies and Physics. Also the same applies for GCSEs after revising little no nothing i got 1 A* 2As 7Bs and a C. I am quite annoyed with myself for not putting in the effort as i could've been off at university right now if i had.
    UMS for maths was : C1- 93 C2-87 C3-100 C4-95 M1-100 (after resit from 69ums) S1-100( after resit from 67ums) = A* with 575/600 ums
    UMS for F.Maths FP1-77 FP2-90 M2-100 M3-93 S2-100 D1-100(after resit from 70ums) = A* with 560/600 ums will probably retake FP1 so potentially 100 in fp1 and then583/600 ums. also Business was a solid A at A2 after retakes. I also plan on self studying FP3, S3 and M4 during my gap year with some help from a tutor.
    Realistically what are my chances of getting into Oxford for maths or LSE for Maths with Economics compared to those that have a perfect record of A*s at GCSEs and As at as but similar grades to me at A2.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if you'll have a good chance at Oxford because if your GCSEs but for LSE I think you could have a good chance if you have a very good personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    For Oxford it really depends on your MAT score and interview, nail those and you should get a place. When it comes to the top maths courses, MAT/STEP and interview (for oxbridge) matter a lot more than stuff like GCSE grades.

There's no interview or entrance test for LSE, so other than making sure your PS is top-notch there's not much else you can do there. I think you have a shot, but it's not 100%.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.