The Student Room Group

I don´t know if I like it at university

I only been here a week, but it feels like months. I am an international student and I find it kind of hard to connect with people. I miss my friends and my parents back home and I can´t wait to go home in December! My flatmates are nice and I think we get along well, but I don´t really think they are my type. They usually aren´t very interested when I try to talk to them about different stuff. I am actually thinking about dropping out in December, but I don´t know. I feel like I am the only person who feels like this.
Original post by student97girl
I only been here a week, but it feels like months. I am an international student and I find it kind of hard to connect with people. I miss my friends and my parents back home and I can´t wait to go home in December! My flatmates are nice and I think we get along well, but I don´t really think they are my type. They usually aren´t very interested when I try to talk to them about different stuff. I am actually thinking about dropping out in December, but I don´t know. I feel like I am the only person who feels like this.

Perhaps you can look for international students (maybe even from the same country as you) as a starting point? If you found someone nice that way I think it might help.

I wanted to drop out for a few weeks of first year too :tongue: and didn't really feel like I connected with anyone but over time I connected with some of my flatmates which was what I needed and that was cool.

Try coursemates as well, it's not easy I know but friendship groups form fairly quickly so.. even if it's in tutorials etc, strike up a conversation with someone, sit with them etc (easier said than done I know) and keep trying :smile:

But I will say one thing as well, you have my sympathy. It must be hell to feel 'disconnected' (tbh I'd probably secretly shed a tear or two...) and to miss your parents etc. I know how that bit feels :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Why did you decide to study abroad if you find it difficult to be away from friends and family?
Original post by student97girl

Hello :smile:,

I understand that it's difficult. Being away from home can't be easy and home sickness must be quit easy to come by but as you've said, it's only been a week (even if it does feel longer). I feel as though you need to submerge yourself into student life and your course and see where things go.

Join some societies with interests you like, try and meet other international students! Just keep trying and I'm sure something will come of it - it'd be a shame to think you moved all this way to feel like you want to drop out!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Untrue
Why did you decide to study abroad if you find it difficult to be away from friends and family?

People don't really know what its like until they go and do it. She probably hasn't been away like this before so she can't already know that it would be this difficult...

Quick Reply

Latest