JP Morgan application question

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    So I was wondering if anyone could advice me on what JP Morgan are looking for on the following application question:
    'Please write about a recent news article that has interested you and how you feel that subject would relate to J.P. Morgan (200 words)'.

My concern is that there's 2 ways to approach this:
    1) Do they want an article strictly relevant to them (i.e an M&A deal they're advising on) and showing how it demonstrates their values, ethos etc, or
    2) Do they want a semi-relevant article (i.e changing banking regulations) and how that could affect JP Morgan?

My concern is that I'm unsure whether they just want to see you've got commercial awareness even if it's not directly relevant to JP Morgan and therefore can't really show JP Morgan in a positive light (no.2) or do they want to see you've researched the company and its culture (no.1)?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I think it doesn't have to be directly relevant to JP, for example maybe an article on something random like fintech. But to show your commercial awareness you have to be able to show how this would affect JPM, and how it would do this. So approach 2 but both can work, whatever you feel is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante991)
    I think it doesn't have to be directly relevant to JP, for example maybe an article on something random like fintech. But to show your commercial awareness you have to be able to show how this would affect JPM, and how it would do this. So approach 2 but both can work, whatever you feel is better.
    Ah fair enough. Kind of struggling to find a decent article, trying to look for any positive stories where there's an opportunity for JPM as opposed to challenges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iopa)
    Ah fair enough. Kind of struggling to find a decent article, trying to look for any positive stories where there's an opportunity for JPM as opposed to challenges.
    Took me a while to, can be completely any article but they are more interested in your understanding rather than the article I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante991)
    Took me a while to, can be completely any article but they are more interested in your understanding rather than the article I think
    Noted.

Just for the other question (Please describe your motivation for applying to the CIB - Investment Banking program within J.P. Morgan. Please give details of any skills you have that would be relevant to this area (300 words)) I'm assuming they want the standard CL format: why me, why IB, why JPM albeit in a much shorter format?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iopa)
    Noted.

Just for the other question (Please describe your motivation for applying to the CIB - Investment Banking program within J.P. Morgan. Please give details of any skills you have that would be relevant to this area (300 words)) I'm assuming they want the standard CL format: why me, why IB, why JPM albeit in a much shorter format?
    Yeah thats just your general motivational question. Why XXX and why the XXX division

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.