Debit Card Fraud Watch

pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i've just found out that someone has cloned my card and has been using it in the dominican republic. they've taken out 2 payments of £77.50, and it's been taken out of a cash machine, because there are two £1.74 fees.
in this day and age, you would think your details are safe, but no! i've been told that it probably happened when i was at a petrol station., as they can easily take your details in a swipe of a hand.
i've been to see my bank though. they have cancelled the card and set me up a new account, and will be refunding the money that was taken out. i have, however, lost the use of my bank account until the end of the week while they set the new one up and send me out a new card.
it's just you hear it happen, but you never think it will happen to you. i've been told to pay by cash at petrol stations...

sucks! has it happened to you?
tbm
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thats awful! Same thing happened to me over the weekend but with my credit card, Im just relieved it wasnt my bank account as I have a lot of spare cash in there at the moment and they could have quite easily emptied my account!!

I think mine might have been swiped at a petrol station to as I used it there a few weeks ago, I honestly cant think of anywhere else it could have happened. Ive used it online but Ive used the site loads of times so I dont think it would have been that
[email protected]
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It happened to me about two weeks ago, but it was an internet fraud thing where they got my details, so they could only make online purchases, they tried to spend £500 using google checkout on my card....the swines! :p:

They also had a nice meal at Pizza Hut in London, with me footing the bill...

...but my bank were great, they were the ones that alerted ME to it and had it sorted in 12 hours
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pumpkin7)
i've just found out that someone has cloned my card and has been using it in the dominican republic. they've taken out 2 payments of £77.50, and it's been taken out of a cash machine, because there are two £1.74 fees.
in this day and age, you would think your details are safe, but no! i've been told that it probably happened when i was at a petrol station., as they can easily take your details in a swipe of a hand.
i've been to see my bank though. they have cancelled the card and set me up a new account, and will be refunding the money that was taken out. i have, however, lost the use of my bank account until the end of the week while they set the new one up and send me out a new card.
it's just you hear it happen, but you never think it will happen to you. i've been told to pay by cash at petrol stations...

sucks! has it happened to you?

All I require is your card number, expiry date and PIN number, and I can wire you the monies directly...
bowdeni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah someone took £300 of my money last week in debit card fraud.
TG777
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do you use a privately owned Petrol Station, or a Sainsbury or Tesco etc one?
pumpkin7
Rep:
?
it's either a shell one down the road rarely.. i've used it 3 times max... and the other one i usually go to is a texaco garage by my boyfriends house.
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't get the petrol station thing .. who are you accusing of swiping your details - the cashier?
guitargirl03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I haven't experienced card fraud but I've been a victim of internet fraud. They took my details off of the internet and stole £600. It was a scary moment, but luckily they managed to trace who stole the money and I had to speak to the fraud team at Nationwide. They instantly refunded my money though.
pumpkin7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cortez)
I don't get the petrol station thing .. who are you accusing of swiping your details - the cashier?

yes.

people buy out petrol stations for the sole reason to employ people to steeal your details. i'm not joking and i'm not making this up. this is what my bank told me.
it's not like the supermarket owned ones, they are ok. it's the other ones.
i have one down the road and the staff change every week.. hmmm!
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
Yes, as the other person pointed out

But there can also be rogue employees in larger companies like Shell/Tesco who will also swipe for details.

Not sure what the status is with Chips but with magnetic it was easy - all you have to do was swipe the card onto another machine.

This could even work as a supermarket as customers very often put their card down on the till whilst they pack their bags so its very easy for the cashier to copy the card.

when i was working in a supermarket a guy got sacked for just writing down the card details when peopel had given them to him (to use on the internet) - mind you they should have been mroe protective.
flipshot
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pumpkin7)
yes.

people buy out petrol stations for the sole reason to employ people to steeal your details. i'm not joking and i'm not making this up. this is what my bank told me.
it's not like the supermarket owned ones, they are ok. it's the other ones.
i have one down the road and the staff change every week.. hmmm!
Yeah the Total garage near me was doing this. There was some big organised operation going on, with the card details being stolen and then sent back to be used in China where the workers came from. I don't know quite how it works though with chip and pin as normally you put it in the reader yourself but they must have been doing it some how.
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Woah, I was completely unaware that stuff went on :eek: First I've heard of it but sounds well dodgey!
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Chip and PIN cards can be got at by putting something inside the machine you type your number into

i cannot fidn the exact article but her is soemthing to bite on
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4980190.stm
[email protected]
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They also have stuff like cameras looking over your shoulder (as it were) when you type your pin in cash machines at garages and stuff, and voila they have your pin...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads