MSc by research VS MSc taught

    • Thread Starter

    Hi there,

    I'm looking for advice on doing an MSc by research. I have a bachelors degree in physics and have been thinking about taking up a masters, however, most of the courses are by research.

    I did a research project as part of my degree and found it quite isolating to be honest. I spent a lot of time alone in the lab and writing things up. Is an MSc by research similar to this?

    I think I would prefer a taught MSc and be able to go to lectures and sit exams, whilst also doing research, but the courses that interest me (such as quantum fields at Imperial) are much more expensive.

    Thanks in advance

    A masters by research or MRes is very research focused so if you know you don't enjoy research go for a taught MSc.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Electronic notes or handwritten notes?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.