Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    There's one question that I need help in Biology....I was wondering if anyone can help - I will really appreciate it

Q - Suggest how you could distinguish a sample of glucose from a sample of maltose using Benedict's reagent.

ReputationRep:
    Clues:

Glucose is a monosaccharide.
    Maltose is a disaccharide.
    Disaccharides can break down in a hydrolysis reaction to form monosaccharides (Heat does this).
    Benedict's reagent tests for monosaccharides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia.f)
    There's one question that I need help in Biology....I was wondering if anyone can help - I will really appreciate it

Q - Suggest how you could distinguish a sample of glucose from a sample of maltose using Benedict's reagent.
    Heat equal volumes of both substances with an excess of Benedict's solution. The one that turns from blue to brick red tests positive for a reducing sugar. Glucose is a reducing sugar, therefore the red colour contains glucose and the blue one contains maltose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    Clues:

Glucose is a monosaccharide.
    Maltose is a disaccharide.
    Disaccharides can break down in a hydrolysis reaction to form monosaccharides (Heat does this).
    Benedict's reagent tests for monosaccharides.
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typicalvirgo)
    Heat equal volumes of both substances with an excess of Benedict's solution. The one that turns from blue to brick red tests positive for a reducing sugar. Glucose is a reducing sugar, therefore the red colour contains glucose and the blue one contains maltose.
    Aw thank you! x

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.