Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I In the Wrong...? watch

Announcements

well done!! sticking to your principles is the way forward when it comes to library fines..

ReputationRep:
    Its not the amount of money that counts its the principle. Lets go have a mass demonstartion outside your library.

Mod Expression - Strong Language Violation - Post Amended to Remove Profanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Its not the amount of money that counts its the principle. Lets go have a mass demonstartion outside your library.
    I'm up for that

(Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I'm up for that
    Too much information, don't get too excited.

ReputationRep:
    It's 16p for God's sake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Too much information, don't get too excited.
    And neg rep is coming your way

And neg rep is coming your way
    lol, you just dare.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I had a 50p fine which I refused to pay, as the day they said I returned it was the day of my Cambridge interview. I showed them my letter saying when my interview was to prove I couldn't have taken it back then, and they cancelled the fine!

Another time, I took a book back and they didn't do the returns stuff properly so they thought I still had it out. They weren't very pleasant when I told them and they found the book on the shelf, but they cancelled that fine too. My sister had the same thing happen to her once though and they wouldn't cancel the fine, which was something ridiculous by the time she found out about it.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are so bad. Well done. And a message for everyone. Never pay your fines .
    Why not? Perhaps you shouldn't pay the £40 because that is extortionate, but you should reimburse your library for the book you've got, or return it. People wouldn't be so understanding if you'd gone into a bookshop and stolen something, which is effectively what you've done.

This isn't about making a stand against fines, it's about refusing to pay money the library isn't entitled to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Why not? Perhaps you shouldn't pay the £40 because that is extortionate, but you should reimburse your library for the book you've got, or return it. People wouldn't be so understanding if you'd gone into a bookshop and stolen something, which is effectively what you've done.

This isn't about making a stand against fines, it's about refusing to pay money the library isn't entitled to.
    I did give it back but I had to go into town where i took the book out and I was busy with all the college work making me unable to return it. I didn't steal it. I would never do that. Plus I did forget that I had the book. But its back now so thats the main thing.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think you are in the wrong - when they reopen on 29th December, how are they supposed to differentiate between books returned on the 28th and those deposited on Christmas eve? All they can do is to process all books as deposited on the previous evening, as is their stated policy. There is nothing they could do about it, you will just have to be more careful about returning it on a date when you know it will be processed as not overdue.

ReputationRep:
    16p? 16p??? I'm sorry, but, you really need to get out more.

ReputationRep:
    but i couldnt help the fact that the due date was the 24th, I should incrue no penalty, since I did what was asked of me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    but i couldnt help the fact that the due date was the 24th, I should incrue no penalty, since I did what was asked of me!
    awwwwwww, poor baby... boo hoo hoo, get over it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I just want to know your opinions on a little matter that occured just now. I feel like a cheap tight ******* who's just out to cause trouble, but then again, I do feel as though my complaints are just. So...here it is.

I just went down to my local library to get out a few books I wanted. I go up to the desk and they tell me I have a 16p fine because I returned my last book late. Now, I thought this might be a problem, because the last book I borrowed has a due date of 24th of December 2003. And I distinictly remember that on the 24th of December I went to return that book. Obviously, being xmas eve, the library was shut, so I just popped it through the letter box.
    Now the lady at the desk explained to me (she was getting rather frustrated at my refusal to pay 16p....I said i would if that's what had to be done, if I was wrong about my complaint....but you judge for yourself) that a book that is returned on a date when the library is shut (or in the evening after they have closed) will be processed the next opening day's morning, and processed under the previous days date. Thus a book dropped in last night that was due yesterday, for example, would be processed this morning, but will incure no fine because it was returned yesterday, on it's due date.

Now, the system claimed that my book had been returned on the 29th of December. This seems to be the first day they opened after christmas, thus you would think that any books processed that morning would be run through as being returned on the 24th of december. However, clearly mine has not. Am I just in refusing to pay 16p (which I am willing to pay if I am wrong, 16p is very little, but I still have to do 3 and a half minutes work at my job to earn that much!), or am I a complete tight arse who is just out to cause trouble!

In the end I didnt pay the fine, they let me take out my books (they had got thoroughly anoyed at me...., poor customers service it really is), but I need to still contest the fine or otherwise pay it, the next time I try and take books out.
    well it's only 16p........but you we're right!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Shocking language
    I'm terribly sorry, did I offend you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murphy1)
    I'm terribly sorry, did I offend you?
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    Nope

Im bored...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murphy1)
    Im bored...
    Awww. What do you wanna talk about?

ReputationRep:
    Awww. What do you wanna talk about?
    naughtiness

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.