This discussion is closed.
[-David-]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Im off to university in september and have been applying for summer jobs with no luck, however someone phoned me up from a requitment agency saying they want someone fresh out of college to join their software development team with a salary of £15-£20k, obviously a full time position. I think I will still go to uni anyway. Thoughts?
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by [-David-])
Im off to university in september and have been applying for summer jobs with no luck, however someone phoned me up from a requitment agency saying they want someone fresh out of college to join their software development team with a salary of £15-£20k, obviously a full time position. I think I will still go to uni anyway. Thoughts?
lol, go to university
Cossack
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
go to uni if they're offering you that now, think what they'll offer you when you've got a degree
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Cossack)
go to uni if they're offering you that now, think what they'll offer you when you've got a degree
£15- £20k
[-David-]
Rep:
?
Im not even sure I want to be a programmer yet lol. Just the prospect of all that money.....

But nah, uni it is.
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by [-David-])
Depends. If you're studying something shite, like media studies, then forget about it - what good would that do you? However, if you're pursuing a more vocational path, then I would advise you to go to university.
[-David-]
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr White)
Depends. If you're studying something shite, like media studies, then forget about it - what good would that do you? However, if you're pursuing a more vocational path, then I would advise you to go to university.
I'll be studying computer science
[-David-]
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
Scenario: Job turns out to be naff after a couple of years ago, or the company folds, or they sack you. You're now two years behind the people doing comp sci or related degrees and you'll have a hard time finding a decent calibre job in that field without a degree.
ahh! scary stuff :eek:

*packs uni bags*
who_me
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I had a similar scenario - I got offered a job as a website editor for a pretty big company, which involved me getting free tickets to any gig/festival I wanted (I LOVE music) and basically writing and managing reviews and content on the website....and I got offered 20K to start, going up to 25K in the second year. However, I am due to go to uni in September, so I turned it down. To be honest, although it sounds like my dream job, I think getting a degree is much more important, as it will enable me to meet loads of people and generally extend my youth, rather than limit it (which would inevitably happen if I got a 9-5 job). I also want to extend my knowledge on my subject (Comp Sci) and hopefully spend a year in the US. My advice is, turn the job down....you can do all that grown up stuff in your forties! hehe.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads