Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im off to university in september and have been applying for summer jobs with no luck, however someone phoned me up from a requitment agency saying they want someone fresh out of college to join their software development team with a salary of £15-£20k, obviously a full time position. I think I will still go to uni anyway. Thoughts?

(Original post by [-David-])
    Im off to university in september and have been applying for summer jobs with no luck, however someone phoned me up from a requitment agency saying they want someone fresh out of college to join their software development team with a salary of £15-£20k, obviously a full time position. I think I will still go to uni anyway. Thoughts?
    lol, go to university

ReputationRep:
    go to uni if they're offering you that now, think what they'll offer you when you've got a degree

(Original post by Cossack)
    go to uni if they're offering you that now, think what they'll offer you when you've got a degree
    £15- £20k

ReputationRep:
    Im not even sure I want to be a programmer yet lol. Just the prospect of all that money.....

But nah, uni it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [-David-])
    Depends. If you're studying something shite, like media studies, then forget about it - what good would that do you? However, if you're pursuing a more vocational path, then I would advise you to go to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Depends. If you're studying something shite, like media studies, then forget about it - what good would that do you? However, if you're pursuing a more vocational path, then I would advise you to go to university.
    I'll be studying computer science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Scenario: Job turns out to be naff after a couple of years ago, or the company folds, or they sack you. You're now two years behind the people doing comp sci or related degrees and you'll have a hard time finding a decent calibre job in that field without a degree.
    ahh! scary stuff :eek:

*packs uni bags*

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar scenario - I got offered a job as a website editor for a pretty big company, which involved me getting free tickets to any gig/festival I wanted (I LOVE music) and basically writing and managing reviews and content on the website....and I got offered 20K to start, going up to 25K in the second year. However, I am due to go to uni in September, so I turned it down. To be honest, although it sounds like my dream job, I think getting a degree is much more important, as it will enable me to meet loads of people and generally extend my youth, rather than limit it (which would inevitably happen if I got a 9-5 job). I also want to extend my knowledge on my subject (Comp Sci) and hopefully spend a year in the US. My advice is, turn the job down....you can do all that grown up stuff in your forties! hehe.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.