The Student Room Group

Help with changing mathematics exam boards at the end of year 12

right so finished year 12
AS RESULTS:
MEI Maths A 81 ums avg, did: C1, C2 and M1
Biology E
Physics A
Psychology E
Spanish (native language, still accepted by most russell group unis, and done without lessons) A
MEI Further maths (self taught since they didn't do it at my old school, still don't) E did: FP1, M2 & M3

So cause I wasn't sure about getting good enough grades for my uni offer (A* Maths, A Physics and A in third subject, Spanish most likely),
I wanted to do (in a new college) for A2 Maths, Physics, Spanish (also without lessons) and Further Maths (in a new college, although I would mainly focus on the other 3, since this is just for back up)

however after joining, turns out that they do Edexcel for maths instead of OCR MEI and now I'm scared because teachers say there's barely any difference in the content of the modules, for maths: C3, C4 and S1
and further maths: FP1, M2 (resitting), D1, S2 and FP2.
Focusing only on maths,I believe c3 and c4 are MOSTLY similar (not totally although the teachers say they are), S1 is rather different, but no one has assesed me on how to proceed with it.
M2 is well similar, there's only a topic of difference, if I did do better in m2 than in s1, can I put m2 as my Maths module deliberately?
Please help me, I don't know what to do. Couldn't I just go back to my old college and do Maths Physics and spanish (by myself and help of a french teacher)? or continue in this one since the maths modules are fairly similar?
Generally modules are very similar and if that's what your teachers say then it's what it is. Why can't you go back to your old college?
Original post by josemaria
right so finished year 12
AS RESULTS:
MEI Maths A 81 ums avg, did: C1, C2 and M1
Biology E
Physics A
Psychology E
Spanish (native language, still accepted by most russell group unis, and done without lessons) A
MEI Further maths (self taught since they didn't do it at my old school, still don't) E did: FP1, M2 & M3

So cause I wasn't sure about getting good enough grades for my uni offer (A* Maths, A Physics and A in third subject, Spanish most likely),
I wanted to do (in a new college) for A2 Maths, Physics, Spanish (also without lessons) and Further Maths (in a new college, although I would mainly focus on the other 3, since this is just for back up)

however after joining, turns out that they do Edexcel for maths instead of OCR MEI and now I'm scared because teachers say there's barely any difference in the content of the modules, for maths: C3, C4 and S1
and further maths: FP1, M2 (resitting), D1, S2 and FP2.
Focusing only on maths,I believe c3 and c4 are MOSTLY similar (not totally although the teachers say they are), S1 is rather different, but no one has assesed me on how to proceed with it.
M2 is well similar, there's only a topic of difference, if I did do better in m2 than in s1, can I put m2 as my Maths module deliberately?
Please help me, I don't know what to do. Couldn't I just go back to my old college and do Maths Physics and spanish (by myself and help of a french teacher)? or continue in this one since the maths modules are fairly similar?

You need to talk to your exams officer about what is actually possible with maths and further maths. You can certainly do AS maths with MEI and A2 with Edexcel, overall c3&4 cover almost exactly the same content but there are a few differences on which topic is is which unit. S1 on Edexcel is largely GCSE content and the new stuff is no harder than S1 with MEI. I'm not sure you can do AS FM with MEI units and then A2 with Edexcel, you should clarify that with you exams office who can contact the examiners and get official confirmation.

It's unlikely you can go back to your old college and only study 2 A levels with them. To claim funding for you they need to be teaching a full time subject load and 2 A2 levels won't be enough, they can't count the Spanish that you will self study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
You need to talk to your exams officer about what is actually possible with maths and further maths. You can certainly do AS maths with MEI and A2 with Edexcel, overall c3&4 cover almost exactly the same content but there are a few differences on which topic is is which unit. S1 on Edexcel is largely GCSE content and the new stuff is no harder than S1 with MEI. I'm not sure you can do AS FM with MEI units and then A2 with Edexcel, you should clarify that with you exams office who can contact the examiners and get official confirmation.

It's unlikely you can go back to your old college and only study 2 A levels with them. To claim funding for you they need to be teaching a full time subject load and 2 A2 levels won't be enough, they can't count the Spanish that you will self study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would do just MEI, in the college I'm in now, so is there any other difference between Edexcel's C3 +C4 & that of MEI other than the topic of proof being included in MEI? Do you know about this for statistics? Thanks a lot
Original post by chemari1
I would do just MEI, in the college I'm in now, so is there any other difference between Edexcel's C3 +C4 & that of MEI other than the topic of proof being included in MEI? Do you know about this for statistics? Thanks a lot

Obviously there is a difference in assessment between C3/4 MEI and Edexcel, especially the coursework in MEI c3, but the overall c3/4 content is very similar. There is a big difference between MEI and Edexcel s1 content. In particular, MEI focus is on binomial probability and Edexcel focus is on the normal distribution. In terms of difficulty though there's no real difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
Obviously there is a difference in assessment between C3/4 MEI and Edexcel, especially the coursework in MEI c3, but the overall c3/4 content is very similar. There is a big difference between MEI and Edexcel s1 content. In particular, MEI focus is on binomial probability and Edexcel focus is on the normal distribution. In terms of difficulty though there's no real difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

cheers, so what would you say (for c3 and 4) are the main differences apart from proof?
cheers, so what would you say (for c3 and 4) are the main differences apart from proof?

MEI questions are less formulaic or predictable, meaning that it's considered a more rigourous and challenging course, whereas Edexcel is more popular because it's easier.

From memory
MEI C3 has a coursework task on numerical methods and so thats not tested in the MEI exams, it is in Edexcel.
MEI C3 covers differentiation AND integration, Edexcel has integration in C4
MEI C4 covers trigonometry that Edexcel do in C3 (because they have covered trig in C3, Edexcel can ask a few trickier questions in C4 trig integration)
MEI C4 has a comprehension task that looks at modelling, Edexcel include a bit of modelling of real world contexts scattered in questions
Have a read of the specifications if the differences really interest you but there's really nothing to be concerned about, if anything I'd say Edexcel is the more straightforward though there have been significant efforts from Edexcel in recent exam series to be less predictable and ask questions in new ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply