The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey Guys,

I went doctors yesterday to change my pill. Anyway i had to get weighed.. and i am nearly 10 stone!! :frown: It wouldn't be a big deal but i'm only 5 ft 1.. I just can't figure out how on earth i've put on nearly 2 stone since starting university!! I mean i knew i'd put a little bit but i definitely wasn't expecting THAT much! It has only been a couple of months after all :s-smilie: What do i do?!
I've also noticed how taking up aerobics/dancing through a workout DVD really helps to tone and lose fat... its more of a mixture than just going to the gym 3 times a week as it has more variety.
Reply 2822
dani_88
Hey Guys,

I went doctors yesterday to change my pill. Anyway i had to get weighed.. and i am nearly 10 stone!! :frown: It wouldn't be a big deal but i'm only 5 ft 1.. I just can't figure out how on earth i've put on nearly 2 stone since starting university!! I mean i knew i'd put a little bit but i definitely wasn't expecting THAT much! It has only been a couple of months after all :s-smilie: What do i do?!

Me too, nearly 10 stone, 5'1", was just over 8 stone when I got to uni. It happens. You just need to do loads of exercise to keep on top of the drinking and ****ty food at uni.
It is sooo easy to put the weight on. I just have a couple of days where i can eat and drink what i want, and the rest of the time i behave myself. Hence my weight is now going in the right direction.
I was told from a male friend of mine I had a really good figure today :biggrin:

Makes it worth it when people notice
You can still eat healthily at uni, I find it easier just to completely avoid all junk food and never buy crisps/biscuits/chocolate as I know if I have them around me, I WILL eat them. And stick to low calorie drinks like vodka and diet coke rather than wine or alcopops which are just full of sugar.
oh_baby_yeah_baby
I wanna get a hula hoop as well!! I HATE doing sit-ups and the like, but hula hooping sounds like fun. And I heard that it really is a good work-out.

I need to join this society, I need to lose weight, I need to stop eatting so goddamn much. This morning I found it really easy to get up for the first time in AGES, and upon asking myself why I realised that, for the first time in the aforementioned AGES, I was hungry for breakfast as opposed to still stuffed from all the crap I ate the night before.

So. I am going to start being healthy now. I'm getting myself one of them look-how-much-weight-I've-Lost thingies in my sig. Things are going to change, man! :cool:

it's been much fun so far :biggrin:
Reply 2827
liladriel
And stick to low calorie drinks like vodka and diet coke rather than wine or alcopops which are just full of sugar.

But wine is soooo good
^ Dry white wine has less calories than sweet wine. (although I much prefer sweet wine - typical!)
Reply 2829
liladriel
^ Dry white wine has less calories than sweet wine. (although I much prefer sweet wine - typical!)

Fewer calories

I like red wine unfortunately. Changing my diet is always futile, I'm one of those people who just needs to move around a lot.
puppy
Me too, nearly 10 stone, 5'1", was just over 8 stone when I got to uni. It happens. You just need to do loads of exercise to keep on top of the drinking and ****ty food at uni.

But that's the thing.. I'm not a big drinker.. And other than Ben and Jerrys (which i can't afford to buy that often anway) i don't really eat loads of junk i don't think..
And i've been going to the gym at my accommodation..
I just really can't figure it out... :frown:
Reply 2831
dani_88
But that's the thing.. I'm not a big drinker.. And other than Ben and Jerrys (which i can't afford to buy that often anway) i don't really eat loads of junk i don't think..
And i've been going to the gym at my accommodation..
I just really can't figure it out... :frown:

Must be something, you don't put on weight out of nowhere! Before I started losing weight I'd convinced myself I ate well and exercised enough but I clearly didn't. Unless you cut your calories to 1500 a day or less you're going to have to do quite a lot of exercise (in my experience anyway). I'm at gymnastics about 6 hours a week and trampolining about 4 and then I probably walk a mile each day on average and I eat what I like (within reason) and am only losing weight very very slowly even doing all that.
puppy
Must be something, you don't put on weight out of nowhere! Before I started losing weight I'd convinced myself I ate well and exercised enough but I clearly didn't. Unless you cut your calories to 1500 a day or less you're going to have to do quite a lot of exercise (in my experience anyway). I'm at gymnastics about 6 hours a week and trampolining about 4 and then I probably walk a mile each day on average and I eat what I like (within reason) and am only losing weight very very slowly even doing all that.

I understand that weight doesn't appeear out of nowhere.. but in 2 months.. nearly 2 stone is shocking! :redface:

But i don't look any bigger at all (my mum thought i'd lost weight to look at me..and she's normally very honest about my weight!) .. and i'm still only a size 8 to 10.. i just weight loads more.. i really dont understand :s-smilie:
are you using the same scales? Its surprising how different they can be.

Could be portion sizes...
To be honest, don't take the weight too much to heart - if you are eating similarly, and your body hasn't changed that much (and you really would notice two stone), it could be water-weight and incorrect scales.
Try not to freak out about it too much - you know if you're healthy or not, and you know if you are too heavy for your size. If you don't think you are, you're probably not, and it's probably a mistake on the doctors behalf.

__

I need to join here. I need to lose weight, it's quite disgusting. I've just gone on the pill, and the pill combined with student lifestyle (i.e. drinking) has made my weight rocket up. I'm so uncomfortable right now, it's untrue.
I do eat healthily for the most part, but I have issues with drunk-induced eating, not to mention that I'm trying to overcome an eating disorder, which means that I have no idea of when I'm hungry or full, so I tend to just eat and eat, or not eat at all. So, regular meal-times, regular portion sizes. I walk to my lectures daily, and that adds up to a good hour of walking, but I'm quite sedientary for the rest of the time, so I'm going to go running at least twice a week, I'm going to do sit-ups, and I have a ballet workout DVD, which I'm going to use, daily hopefully. After Christmas, I am going to join a gym, but I can't until then because my trainers are at home!

x
Reply 2835
Simulatio

__

I need to join here. I need to lose weight, it's quite disgusting. I've just gone on the pill, and the pill combined with student lifestyle (i.e. drinking) has made my weight rocket up. I'm so uncomfortable right now, it's untrue.
I do eat healthily for the most part, but I have issues with drunk-induced eating, not to mention that I'm trying to overcome an eating disorder, which means that I have no idea of when I'm hungry or full, so I tend to just eat and eat, or not eat at all. So, regular meal-times, regular portion sizes. I walk to my lectures daily, and that adds up to a good hour of walking, but I'm quite sedientary for the rest of the time, so I'm going to go running at least twice a week, I'm going to do sit-ups, and I have a ballet workout DVD, which I'm going to use, daily hopefully. After Christmas, I am going to join a gym, but I can't until then because my trainers are at home!

x

Which pill are you on? If it's making you put on a lot of weight straight away then you should change it. My friend changed from dianette (sp?) to Yasmin and lost a stone without even doing anything. It's not a side effect you have to put up with, speak to your doctor or the nurse about it.
Reply 2836
To everyone who goes to the gym or goes running etc. I can't emphasise enough how much good it does to just do 10 minutes of something in your room every day on top of whatever you're doing.

The conditioning exercises gymnasts do are so good for toning and strengthening and if you're losing weight and toning at the same time you look much thinner quicker. You might be able to find some exercises if you Google it. If not and anyone's interested then I can always type some up on here when I get a minute.
Reply 2837
puppy
To everyone who goes to the gym or goes running etc. I can't emphasise enough how much good it does to just do 10 minutes of something in your room every day on top of whatever you're doing.

The conditioning exercises gymnasts do are so good for toning and strengthening and if you're losing weight and toning at the same time you look much thinner quicker. You might be able to find some exercises if you Google it. If not and anyone's interested then I can always type some up on here when I get a minute.

Yah, I'd be quite interested about the tonng stuff. Rep on offer.

-----

Dianette does funny things. I put on 2 stones over the time I've been on it and now have lost 3 stones (whilst still on it.) Make what you will :s-smilie:
Reply 2838
ChocolateEyes
I was told from a male friend of mine I had a really good figure today :biggrin:

Makes it worth it when people notice

It feels soooooo good, doesn't it?
Hmm just reading some posts.. i've only just come off dianette.. maybe it was that which caused me to put on so much "weight"?!

Ooh and i'd quite like to hear about toning stuff as well please :smile:

Latest