TSR Weight Loss Society Part II Watch

This discussion is closed.
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not sure - i've probably got it in one of my essays from 1st year... if i can find it.

The starvation response is quite complicated, some people will use fat as a fuel and produce ketones, which has its only implications.
Crisps
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yay back below 17st
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
Do you have a link to this info chick? Everything I've read entails that exercising on an empty stomach burns more fat. I even saw on the TV that some modeling companies send their models out for a run before breakfast.
The idea behind fasted cardio is that after sleep glycogen levels should be low, supposedly leading the body to turn to fat (FFAs) as a source of fuel. The downside is catabolism (loss of muscle mass). An easily converted energy source - big mention to fasted cardio-triggered cortisol - is to oxidise amino acids (protein). This is especially true if it is high-intensity exercise.

Your primary concern should not be the tissue you burn while exercising - rather the amount of calories burned, and the significant rise in baseline metabolism you get from (high intensity) cardio post-workout. You want effective weight loss? I'm pointing towards HIIT.

(I strongly suggest you use common sense when posting or giving advice on the weight-loss subject. You've done well, yes. But some of your methods (subotaging food, repetitive, unproductive exercise 7/7 etc) are neither extreme nor productive - just ridiculous.)
Crisps
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's a much simpler way to avoid sabotaging bad food, just don't buy it!
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Crisps)
yay back below 17st
Atta boy Knew it would happen
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Crisps)
There's a much simpler way to avoid sabotaging bad food, just don't buy it!
Yeah, that's what I do 99% of the time
ChocolateEyes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
Yeah, that's what I do 99% of the time
me too

Had a lovely smoothie today so should be fine till tea :p:
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been reading this post for a couple of weeks now so thought I'd actually post something! What with it being a new year and all, I've made a 'more exercise and healthy eating' resolution with the hope of losing a few pounds and generally just toning up. I've been ill pretty much since New Years Eve though so haven't actually managed to start the exercise yet, but I'm pleased with my eating so far (especially since I'm still at home and there's never any decent food in the house!)

I'm back at uni next week though so hope to get properly started on the exercise . What would you guys think would be a reasonable weight loss per week? Keeping in mind I'm not really overweight (5'4 and 9 stone) and I don't want to starve myself, just cut down on rubbish and do more exercise.
KOooki
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi ppl!! I've just been running like for 10 mins ( I know pathetic!!) and I hadn't been since I was about 17 (I'm now 20). It feels sooooo pleasant running in the fresh air, as fast as you want!! lol Thing is I've stopped smoking for 5 days and when I go running well it hurts; put it this way, my lungs are alive!!!!
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PaperMoon)
Gosh, not this again. Tufts, do what you like with your food, but do bear in mind that a lot of younger people who don't even need to diet in the first place read this. Not blaming you in particular, but even you must have noticed the high frequency of posts lately from people proud of destroying their food through various means. That's why people are getting a bit worried.

Yes, it's a method which may help you. On the whole though, it's not very healthy psychologically. Apart from the waste, on the long term it does not work to see food as the enemy, which is out to ruin our figures.
that's what i've been trying to get across to everyone. anyways been a bad weekend food wise, went all out junk food wise but meh made up for it in a way.
CheesyBeans
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm glad it has come to this in a way. When I used to read this thread regularly over the summer I felt quite bad because I wasn't restricting my food or exercising as much as some of the people in this thread. I ate quite a lot of food but it was healthy food and the only exercise I had was my 2 hours a day job as a pub cleaner. I still lost 22lbs though and got myself to a healthy weight/size/BMI but I got upset sometimes thinking that if I met some of the people on here in real life, I would get called fat or weak or something.
annab1684
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's a shame it has to be like this. I am losing weight healthily, 24lbs since September because I really want to change my eating habits for good and when I found this I liked the idea that there were people to talk to on here about it. However, I can totally see where your all coming from. I just try and ignore all the "dodgy" posts and pay attention to the sensible ones. .
melissabee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)

For one, you're encouraging people to damage themselves, which looks awful on your part, but on the other hand, you're putting TSR in a slightly dodgy position. This is WAY OVER THE LINE and if you're seriously considering or doing things like putting emetics in food, you need some professional help.
Woah no one here has mentioned doing this. People said that they had put washing up liquid on food to prevent them from eating it, not so they could eat it and then spew.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I miss the good old days of this thread. I agree with Cheesy, posts here make me feel very inadequate and I've lost ~3 stones and am a size 8-10 on top and 10-12 on the bottom. Heh. Let's get back to the good old days, please.
ChocolateEyes
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^^ ditto

It would be such a shame to have this thread closed. I've lost just shy of 2 stone and am a size 8/10 but sometimes I feel guilty on here.

Bring back the good old friendly chat
LP_G_P
Report 11 years ago
Same i lost 0.0001 stone i would be devistated if this thread got closed!
noujazeg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by melissabee)
Woah no one here has mentioned doing this. People said that they had put washing up liquid on food to prevent them from eating it, not so they could eat it and then spew.
EXACTLY, and it was only a chcolate éclair pffffft. And whoever negged me for it could have at least left their name hmph.

However, I do apologise. I understand that it's extremely important that no aspect of this thread suggests even a hint of unhealthy practice, since weight loss is such a delicate issue that it might be misinterpreted and trigger unhealthy behaviours in others. I really hope this thread doesn't get closed down because it really is a wonderful platform for moral support.
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What constitutes a 'sensible healthy tip' and what does not? Where is the line drawn?

(Genuine question. I can't police myself within the line if I do not know what the line looks like. Perhaps some written rules are in order?) :confused:
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh_baby_yeah_baby, I'm sure lessthanthree wasn't referring to you.
kinkajou
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
meh, no offence but if people can't distinguish between what is normal and healthy, and what one may consider slightly dangerous tips, then i suggest the whole soc be locked for good. It really can't be doing people any favours at the moment.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (278)
80.35%
Leave (68)
19.65%

Watched Threads