TSR Weight Loss Society Part II Watch

This discussion is closed.
[email protected]!a
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wah- weighed myself for the first time post christmas. Not cool!

But on the plus side I rejoined the gym this morn- felt soooo good to get moving- it's tough to motivate myself when all my housemates sit around watching TV & eating most days!
~Sam~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What would you say is the best cereal to start the day with? I've been having shredded wheat lately because of the whole 'no added anything' appeal, but looking at the list it seems to be a high GI food (which is bad, right? I don't know much about GI :s) Is there anything better I could eat which would keep me full for longer?
Monkey_Maiden
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yey I fit back into my size 8/10 black jeans! Havn't been able to wear them in years hehe so happy.

I try to eat porridge for breakfast as it fills you up longer and I can't eat wheat Most of the time though I eat crunchy nut cornflakes they're so yummy

ooo on a side note I take pics every month or so to compare and as i've reached target weight I thought I'd post the 'fat' me and the new me
Attached files
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CheesyBeans)
Those of you too poor to own gym membership - What exercise do you do?

I would probably join the uni gym if I could afford it but I can't so I won't. I can't go running/jogging as I have bad knees so please don't suggest this. Any other ideas though?
I'm doing Natalie Cassidy's new exercise dvd these days - it's pretty good, but does involve a fair amount of jumping and stuff - maybe you could have a look and see what other types of exercise dvds are out there that would be more suitable
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Monkey_Maiden)
Yey I fit back into my size 8/10 black jeans! Havn't been able to wear them in years hehe so happy.

I try to eat porridge for breakfast as it fills you up longer and I can't eat wheat Most of the time though I eat crunchy nut cornflakes they're so yummy

ooo on a side note I take pics every month or so to compare and as i've reached target weight I thought I'd post the 'fat' me and the new me
Wow you look great, I'm impressed! The day I fit into size 8 jeans I'll be very happy indeed! Sadly I don't see it happening though.

Aww, I've been saying to my dad that I want to eat more healthily and he's just been to Dallas and brought me back a steamer basket so I can steam my veg
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well done monkey maiden! what size did you start at?
Monkey_Maiden
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks people Think I was a size 12 when started but some tops were a 14 because of my chest. Now I'm an 8/10 and I pigged out at xmas :p:

When I first started dieting it was a bit extreme and worrying but thanks to some people on here I took their advice and didn't starve myself and it worked Plus even though I cut down/removed junk food from my diet I still treat myself to a bag of pick n mix every week
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yay for you!
it's also glad to see that you made it a gradual healthy process that still involved treats
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
What would you say is the best cereal to start the day with? I've been having shredded wheat lately because of the whole 'no added anything' appeal, but looking at the list it seems to be a high GI food (which is bad, right? I don't know much about GI :s) Is there anything better I could eat which would keep me full for longer?
Don't let the GI thing bog you down. I just posted that in response to a specific query and it was aimed at someone who needed it for medical reasoning. GI can be useful in certain people who are dieting, and some do follow a low GI diet successfully, but its not the only approach to dieting. GI is a good indicator of how fast blood sugars rise in average people, but if your perfectly healthy, and have no indications for needing a low GI diet, then just try and eat healthily (as a first approach to the diet, often healthy foods are also low GI automatically). Do the usual cut out on sugary and fatty foods. (most people know what these are in the diet) Theres hundreds of ways to diet, and lose weight, and probably the hardest part is to choose the right approach for you.

In my honest opinion, Shredded wheat as a cereal is fine, avoid the cereals which may have added sugar since thats empty calories. ie no real nutrients. Things like weetos, frosties, plus the ones which look like they would be good - certain muesli's. Check labels if needs be - your looking for the carbohydrates of which sugars to be under 20g/100g in my opinion are reasonably decent cereals. BUT as perfectly healthy members of the population its not life or death to eat foods which don't fall into this category. If you think the shredded wheat isn't keeping you full then maybe try something like porridge, or bran style cereal.

I think my point is, yes watch what you eat to some extent, but try not to become too obsessive, unless you have to.

A big point is nutrition is that it is a multi factor thing - whilst one food is good for one aspect, eating the same food may be shown to cause certain complications for other things. Taking shredded wheat, ok so it breaks down rapidly meaning a fast rise in glucose and a higher GI, but on the otherside its high in fibre, which is good for your digestive tract. Its still going tobe lower in sugars than say a bowl of Lucky Charms (if anyone remembers them!) Plus the list i posted was from the manual of dietetic practice, but looking at it, i think the higher GI foods, may not necessarily be extrotionately high or unhealthy for some of the categories, just higher than other alternatives. For example, cakes and bisuits aren't mentioned on that list, and i'm sure the GI of those will be pretty high. On lists i've seen previously for GI, wholemeal bread certainly wasn't classed as a high GI food. It could be new research, has led to reclassification of some of the foods, since that table was taken from a 2007 publication.
dita_parlo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

You look fantastic! Good work

How long did it take you?
dita_parlo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm going shopping in half an hour and want to buy lots of healthy stuff to kick start the diet. Thankfully, the boyfriend's not coming with me so he won't try to pile up the trolley with loads of junk lol.
KOooki
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks people Think I was a size 12 when started but some tops were a 14 because of my chest. Now I'm an 8/10 and I pigged out at xmas :p:

When I first started dieting it was a bit extreme and worrying but thanks to some people on here I took their advice and didn't starve myself and it worked Plus even though I cut down/removed junk food from my diet I still treat myself to a bag of pick n mix every week
Well done Monkey_Maiden, you look great! Congrats!!
KOooki
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dita_parlo how's the smoking ( or rather said NOT smoking going)??!
I haven't touched a fag for one week today and am beginning to even forget about it!
CheesyBeans
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
I do swimming every so often. Is walking ok? Perhaps 30-45 minutes walk a day, or every other day?
To be honest, I do a fair amount of walking at uni as it is. I'm constantly walking to and from uni (especially days when there are lots of lectures and lots of library trying-to-get-my-work-done-in-time sessions), walking around town and lugging my shopping back from Tescos and also the lovely walks around the city walls. I also have to clean up after 6 lads (my housemates) most days too so I'm not completly inactive.

PinkMobilePhone - My mum has a few exercise dvds that I used a few times over the summer but I can't really do them at uni. I have a large room but there isn't really enough room for me to be prancing around in it plus I'm in the attic and I'm sure my housemates in the rooms below wouldn't be happy with the noise either :rolleyes: Plus, over the summer I found that I knackered my knees up if I did the dvds for too long. Most I could do before I started to hurt was about 20 mins. I haven't been to the doctors regarding my knees in years, maybe I should go again

Monkey_Maiden! congrats on your weight loss! How long did it take?
The last time I fit in to size 8 (or 10) jeans was about 2 and a half years ago which is depressing considering I'm only a little short arse Even after my weight loss in the summer I could still only buy size 12s.
Dramatic Star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
I'm doing Natalie Cassidy's new exercise dvd these days - it's pretty good, but does involve a fair amount of jumping and stuff - maybe you could have a look and see what other types of exercise dvds are out there that would be more suitable
I'm going to get that now. It loosk great & I think its really going to motivate me because you can definatly see how much weight she has lost. She looks fantastic now! :eek:
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dramatic Star)
I'm going to get that now. It loosk great & I think its really going to motivate me because you can definatly see how much weight she has lost. She looks fantastic now! :eek:
She really does- it just goes to show what can be achieved
Dramatic Star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eeeee! God I'm sad. I'm looking forward to doing the workout. How is it? Is it difficult at first? Do you feel the results?
CheesyBeans
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's so annoying though that they have put an obviously airbrushed photo on the front cover. I know that she has lost loads of weight, I have seen photos and watched the little preview video, but she looks nothing like what she does on the cover. Her waist is nowhere near that small. If anything she's more straight up and down now.

I know it's to try and sell the dvd and make people think "ooh I can do that too" but it's bull. The whole point is to make it seem that these celebs have lost weight by using that exact workout but by putting fake photos up to me it basically shows that they don't. I would much rather see an honest photo.
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Monkey Maiden you look great!
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CheesyBeans)
It's so annoying though that they have put an obviously airbrushed photo on the front cover. I know that she has lost loads of weight, I have seen photos and watched the little preview video, but she looks nothing like what she does on the cover. Her waist is nowhere near that small. If anything she's more straight up and down now.

I know it's to try and sell the dvd and make people think "ooh I can do that too" but it's bull. The whole point is to make it seem that these celebs have lost weight by using that exact workout but by putting fake photos up to me it basically shows that they don't. I would much rather see an honest photo.
oh yeh that's true, but even so, the transformation you see in the dvd itself when she's being weighed and stuff is enough to be motivational. Okay it's not quite as dramatic as the cover would have you believe, but no denying there is a very noticeable difference.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.36%
No (377)
72.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise