The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Aww, chin up everyone, your belly doesn't make you who you are and you've all done really well.

Having some macaroni on its own for tea so that shouldn't be too bad. School is jsut seriously stressing me out at the moment and I can think of what to make at nights cause I'm revising
Reply 4021

Anyone know if lean Chicken is a good thing for dinner whilst trying to lose weight?
Reply 4022
yes diru
I had brown rice with chicken for dinner, but as i dont usually ever cook it I found that i had TONS left over! my house mates say you cant re-heat rice so I just have like 2 tubs of the stuff and have nothing to do with them. any ideas on how to use them up? i was thinking a rice salad?

any suggestions would be great : )
Reply 4024
I'm pretty sure you can re-heat rice!
Reply 4025
you can reheat it but make sure you do so thoroughly. i.e. piping hot for a bit of time.
There is increased food poisoning risk from toxins in rice if you reheat it, hence your supposed to rinse it after cooking.
PinkMobilePhone
Kirsty, as a dietician I don't suppose you know anything about dieting whilst breastfeeding do you? I know I'm not supposed to 'diet' as such, but I'm trying to eat healthily instead, which I would think is a good thing, and I'm assuming I'd be losing weight that way anyway, as the breastfeeding uses a fair amount of calories itself.
Is there anything I'm meant to be eating more of, like calcium?
It's so darned confusing.
(If you don't know anything about breastfeeding requirements thats ok, just thought you might :wink: )

I did something about breastfeeding last year.

Well I can look things up, type things, up, find links etc if you like. I wouldn't really try and diet and lose lots of weight, since that would pose a risk of not been able to pass on enough nutrition to your gorgeous little one! I expect it won't be long till you start weaning? Obviously when that starts from that perspective as breastfeeding reduce your requirements will go down slightly.

Anyhow I'll look things up.

Actually brilliant result - what i was going to type up is on google books.

Hopefully this link works, if not go to google books and search for manual of dietetic practice it should be the first book. You need to find page 278 and 279. (the scrollbar will be just above halfway down) Its the right at the bottom of 278, 'nutrition for mother during lactation'. Basically most of your micronutrients are higher, the extra calories you need are usually taken from fat laid down in pregnancy (thats what adipose means). I'm not sure if your doing this, but the department of health recommend you take a vitamin D supplement. And theres a few other tips, try and not have excess caffeine/alcohol, fish is good(for healthy fats) although nomore than 2 portions of oily fish, plenty of fluid to replace what the baby has. Other than that normal balanced diet really.
Today I had a good day.. porridge for brekkie chicken salad for lunch, pork+veg+1 potato for dinner and I went to the gym even though I felt tired and depressed...I now feel a lot perkier, which is good and I managed to resist the Thortons gift box (including...viennese truffles!!!) and apple pie my mum was eating earlier.....:biggrin:
Reply 4029
I've got some yoghurt coated Go Ahead bars, they're LUSH! Got some other fruity ones too. Already had a couple of each :redface:
mmm - i was editing this post and it disappeared - weird - (good job when i went back in my browser i could copy the post into a new one!)

PinkMobilePhone
Kirsty, as a dietitian I don't suppose you know anything about dieting whilst breastfeeding do you? I know I'm not supposed to 'diet' as such, but I'm trying to eat healthily instead, which I would think is a good thing, and I'm assuming I'd be losing weight that way anyway, as the breastfeeding uses a fair amount of calories itself.
Is there anything I'm meant to be eating more of, like calcium?
It's so darned confusing.
(If you don't know anything about breastfeeding requirements thats ok, just thought you might :wink: )

I did something about breastfeeding last year.

Well I can look things up, type things, up, find links etc if you like. I wouldn't really try and diet and lose lots of weight (the weight gained in pregnancy might fall if you just follow a normal diet, which i think is fine), since that would pose a risk of not been able to pass on enough nutrition to your gorgeous little one! I expect it won't be long till you start weaning? Obviously when that starts from that perspective as breastfeeding reduce your requirements will go down slightly.

Anyhow I'll look things up.

Actually brilliant result - what i was going to type up is on google books.

Hopefully this link works, if not go to google books and search for manual of dietetic practice it should be the first book. You need to find page 278 and 279. (the scrollbar will be just above halfway down) Its the right at the bottom of 278, 'nutrition for mother during lactation'. Basically most of your micronutrient requirements are higher, the extra calories you need are usually taken from fat laid down in pregnancy (thats what adipose means). I'm not sure if your doing this, but the department of health recommend you take a vitamin D supplement. And theres a few other tips, try and not have excess caffeine/alcohol, fish is good(for healthy fats) although nomore than 2 portions of oily fish, plenty of fluid to replace what the baby has. Other than that normal balanced diet really - this should be adequate to meet needs.
Kirsty, thanks so much :smile: thats great.
Yes you're right I'll be starting weaning soon - in a month's time most likely, that's the plan anyway.
I haven't been taking Vit D supplement, but I will.
I do eat lots of fish anyway so that's ok.
You've been very helpful, thanks hun :smile:
Crisps
I've got some yoghurt coated Go Ahead bars, they're LUSH! Got some other fruity ones too. Already had a couple of each :redface:

I love those! They're so yummy and you really wouldn't think that they were a diet product.

I had some Perfectly Balanced soup for dinner - only 70 cals for a whole can and it's really filling :smile:
wooop cooking myself chicken, swede, new potato, leek & carrot casserole tonight :biggrin:

i'm so fat at the moment, i really need to get into some real routine, mum keeps saying "oooh shush you look great, just eat healthily and dont 'diet'", and as nice as that is i believe her that i dont have to but i know i really ought to! im being far too relaxed about it all. UH. pot belly must go :frown: im becoming so untoned too due to lack of gymming. i have my last exam on thurs though so will take it seriously from next week for definite!
Reply 4034
arghghg kinda slipped 2day! had a slice of pizza, lots of pasta n sauce and god nos how many chocolate finger biscuits :frown: oh and a bag of hula hoops b4 my exam onli healthy thing eatin is a bannana lol i feel a lot of exercises cumin on! but i rly cant b botherd hehe but must!
liladriel
I love those! They're so yummy and you really wouldn't think that they were a diet product.

;yes; hmm they are delicious! i eat them on the way to work if i havn't had time for breakfast, or after a gyming session as a quick energy boost.
.jen.
wooop cooking myself chicken, swede, new potato, leek & carrot casserole tonight :biggrin:

That sounds lovely! I would be making cassaroles if only i owned a cassarole dish :p:
cutelilchica
That sounds lovely! I would be making cassaroles if only i owned a cassarole dish :p:

I just make my 'casseroles' in a pan. Like stew i guess, cook the veggies first and stick it with onions, garlic, meat, and stock, or whatever sauce is used.
Reply 4038
I've pigged out on Rivita. Is that bad? :p:
Reply 4039
Tufts
I've pigged out on Rivita. Is that bad? :p:

lol! i actually had those in my bag 4 school but ended up getin pizza 2 cheer me up

Latest