grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i did pretty well yesterday, ate:

breakfast: nothing (tut tut)

lunch: sushi (359 cals)

dinner: chicken soup (202 cals) cherry tomatoes (18 cals)

then to get my cals up a bit, after i got home from working in the bar i had two pieces of wheat-free toats (220 cals) with a slice of low fat cheese on each (50 cals each? pretty small slices).

so that brings it up to about 900 cals for the day, which is ok for a non-workout day.

can't WAIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT to hit to gym tonight. I have a really bad cold at the moment which is SO annoying, especially considering i only just recovered from flu, so i'm all sniffly and sore throated and congested and watery eyed and sneezy and generally nasty-feeling. I hope to sweat all my germs out tonight, and maybe treat myself to a cheeky sunbed as well .

i'm not going to weigh myself until next week because i don't think i lost last week, what with the lack of exercise due to moving house (apart from hard-core cleaning and lifting boxes!), and don't want to depress myself lol.

jeanne; you sexy minx. of course you're losing inches - no one could work as hard as you do and not sleek up their body in the process!

jen; omigosh the last pic i saw of you you looked AMAZING, and you're even skinnier now?! j..e...a...l...o...u...s!!!!

bun; :rofl: at your dream! and omigosh 30 POUNDS?!!! that's....flabbergasting!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!! ;heart;
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
You're just assuming, and wrongly too. Resistance training will speed up your metabolism for 18 hours after your workout, cardio for only 1 hour. The more muscle you build up (and it wont make you more bulky unless you live in the gym and eat tonnes), the easier you will burn fat. Google it, the first website I got spells out my point, but there are lots.

And just to reiiterate what's on that webpage, if you're doing a cardio routine, you have to change it every 4-6 weeks to continue to give your body a workout.

Calories are also a bad way to measure how much you are eating and expending, I know it's very common and tonnes of people do it, even myself, but we shouldn't. We can't compare 300 calories from processed cookies to 300 calories from an avocado because they're totally different. The cookies will be broken down really quickly and turned to fat much quicker than the avocado... which is actually really good for you.:cool:
I do know the difference between diets... Most people follow a calorie controlled one (and understand that), but if you want to talk about the different type of calories, fats, proteins, carbs feel free, i only have to write essays about them anyway, its good practice for me.

I use the WHO (world health organisation) factors for exercise - Resistance does not increase your BMR by as much as cardio. There was a study done at my university following BMR increases pre and post exercise, it was found resistance did not cause an increase in BMR to the same extent as cardio (cardio increased it for around 2-3 hours, the resistance effect was negligible), so i don't know whereabouts those figures of 1 hour, and 18 hours are from. Its right that cardio workouts should vary, hence most gyms offer a revised programme with their instructors every month. I think it depends on how much resistance your doing as well - if your doing lot of weights, and the majority of the workout is aimed at this, is more likely to have an effect on BMR.

An anomaly however is, that BMR is raised to extremely high levels more substantially in older people when they do resistance training. (60 years+) - maybe thats the study where the 18 hours came from.

Weight control basics are about energy balance, energy in = energy out = stable weight. I'm not saying cut out the resistance and don't offer anything in its place, but doing more cardio instead of the resistance for a matter of weeks won't cause a huge influx in weight gain. Resistance is aimed more at tone and fat burning, but we're talking a matter of skipping this for weeks here, not months. I've only been doing cardio for the last 2 months, and haven't felt any fat gain, and my weight is stable. Weight loss shouldn't only be possible to those that can avoid expensive gym fees etc, doing any form of exercise will help, be it walking that extra few metres to the next bius stop, or running up and down stairs, or having a varied workout in a gym.

I much prefer cardio for building general fitness. You feel much better afterwards, its great for stamina, general walking etc. It shouldn't be put down. Which is why a mix of exercise is preferred instead of just one type of exercise.
mc_hamster
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yay good work out today, 30 minutes jogging on an incline at 5.1 mph. I was just going to do 15 minutes of jogging and 15 minutes brisk walking but managed to push myself to run for the full time. My legs feel energised.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
congrats!
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My gym session wasn't great. I had no energy at all, and only did 24 minutes (and it wasn't even strenuous either). I guess it's probably because it was my first day back at college today, so i had been up early etc, and i'd only eaten a slice of toast.. but :bawling:
bunthulhu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks liladriel and grace! :hugs:

I'm famous for having incredibly odd dreams, the night before last for example simultaneously involved harry potter, a werewolf, nanobots, the london underground and me being a ghost. :confused:
grace
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bunthulhu)
Thanks liladriel and grace! :hugs:

I'm famous for having incredibly odd dreams, the night before last for example simultaneously involved harry potter, a werewolf, nanobots, the london underground and me being a ghost. :confused:
lol, don't worry, i dreamt about the fresh prince of bel air and Uncle Phil was my dad...!
bunthulhu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by grace)
lol, don't worry, i dreamt about the fresh prince of bel air and Uncle Phil was my dad...!
LOL! We have great imaginations, clearly
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh my eating has been rubbish since the weekend! Out on Saturday so pub and beer Sunday we had a chinese, I only had veggie chow mein but still baaad. Yesterday was my last day at work and I'd baked them shortbread so...I had shortbread and today I woke up late and my friend rang to ask if I fancied beer for breakfast BAD day! I've only actually eaten a tiny plate of chips today, it was literally the size of a saucer, but still bad! I need a healthy tea I think!

However on the plus side, I've a couple of interviews lined up this week and next so I tried on my shirt and they're all HUMONGOUS on me! So, a great excuse to buy some new ones Hehe!

So, how are we all going girlies?
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thats great news! Clothes that are too big are always good!
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
Thats great news! Clothes that are too big are always good!
And gives the excuse to go shopping
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its the perfect excuse! Even though the bank balance may not agree!
ChocolateEyes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Woo well done everyone!

Bunthulhu! That is so amazing! Well done

All your dreams gave me a laugh which is good cause I'm off to the gym now to sweat out lots of calories
xxsarahjwxx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Eugh so eating healthily isn't going well...as in nothing has changed. Feeling really gross today (mega period pains) and so no running again.

I have really weird dreams too! I have loads a night and lie there telling my bf all about them every morning lol. After every single one he says "you're off your trolley" or "you're nutty as a fruitcake" lol. They have at least lightened up a bit since i got my results though. They were really dark and severe before, now they are quite crazy and trivial. Haha i AM nuts!
upagumtree
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I just had a big block of swiss roll!Oh no

I'll go on the treadmill later on,but I can't promise anything.I'm doing surprisingly well.I've lost about 3 pounds I think since I last posted here.I'm now one away from reaching my initial target weight,which I've now adjusted a bit so I'll have lost 20lbs overall
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thats brilliant!

Who cares about a small treat of swiss roll!
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Good day today actually. Had 4 slices of toast (although that has GOT to go, it's making me ill i think :s:), a stir-fry and one light rich tea buscuit (i don't know where this motivation to only eat one has come from! ). I walked home from sixth form today, which i am probably going to do more often now, as i cannot afford to pay the bus fares! :eek: Went to the gym but i was so tired all through, but oh well.
ChocolateEyes
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Went to the gym

Lost another 2lbs!!!!

So happy, achieved my target weight in 12 days, so now I can mosey along till my birthday and hopefully lose another pound or two.

This is the first time I've been able to update that damn ticker in ages!
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Congrats! :party:
sauce
Report 11 years ago
kinda been neglecting the weight loss and eating like a pig and exercising not very much to compensate. I'm ashamed of myself, I'm sorry you guys for letting you down
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (28)
25.93%
No - I got the required grades (66)
61.11%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.96%

Watched Threads