Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Weight Loss Society Part II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I thought 1600-1750 was fine if you're trying to maintain?
    Generally it is but my body likes to put on weight if I so much as look at naughty things.. and I'm not particularly active so I'm not burning a lot. I can't get away with eating 2000 a day every day and not put on weight. Sad but true.

And there are about 135 cals in a penguin bar whoever asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beebeeworm)
    Generally it is but my body likes to put on weight if I so much as look at naughty things.. and I'm not particularly active so I'm not burning a lot. I can't get away with eating 2000 a day every day and not put on weight. Sad but true.

And there are about 135 cals in a penguin bar whoever asked.
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what my maintaining cals are too. Thing is I have some days of 1700ish and then a few of 1000 so it;s a bit poo.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's difficult isn't it? I just want to know exactly what my thresholds are to lose, maintain and gain weight so I know that if I stick within those boundaries I'm in complete control. I worked out my BMR and then my supposed maintenance calorie intake, which came to about 1740cals a day so I figure if I stick slightly below that I can maintain my weight and then if I drop that down to about 1200 I should lose.

I was proud of my diet mind today - I was out in town and stopped for lunch and all the sandwiches in M&S had mayo in them (presumably full fat) so I skipped them and went to Pret instead and had a really nice yogurt chicken and avocado salad. Yum The sandwiches didn't even appeal when I realised what was in them, I don't see the point in having them if I could have something just as nice for less cals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beebeeworm)
    Yeah, it's difficult isn't it? I just want to know exactly what my thresholds are to lose, maintain and gain weight so I know that if I stick within those boundaries I'm in complete control. I worked out my BMR and then my supposed maintenance calorie intake, which came to about 1740cals a day so I figure if I stick slightly below that I can maintain my weight and then if I drop that down to about 1200 I should lose.

I was proud of my diet mind today - I was out in town and stopped for lunch and all the sandwiches in M&S had mayo in them (presumably full fat) so I skipped them and went to Pret instead and had a really nice yogurt chicken and avocado salad. Yum The sandwiches didn't even appeal when I realised what was in them, I don't see the point in having them if I could have something just as nice for less cals.
    Don't overlimit your calory intake - lower it a healthy amount - otherwise you will be on a yoyo-diet.

If you are eating fine, you don't really need to lower your intake, just burn calories instead of removing them. That offers long-term weight loss. Personally 1200 seems veeery low.

If you do some cardio activities 30-45 minutes, even fast-walking (using a treadmill to keep your heartrate between 130-140 works wonders) will give you noticeable results fairly quickly and you don't risk lowering your metabolism by going on a mouse diet.

ReputationRep:
    UGHHH, I've eaten fairly badly these last few days (around 1700-1800) cals, coz I've ben working late on this essay and have been getting sooooo hungry.

I've been REALLY good today, just had 1.5 ryvita for brekkie and a bowl of chickpeas with some sundried tomatoes/olives and some cous-cous for lunch. I don't know if I should just have a salad when we go out tonight or have a two course meal and go out for cocktails, as it's my last time out with friends till term starts again and seeing as I'll be by myself for easter sunday and I dpn't know how to cook, so no risk of pigging out then! But my waist looks SOOOO friggin big AARGHgauifgajfbafjihaeuayeubsjdh jssbshgghhhh

ReputationRep:
    ive had a badddd weekend too, first weekend home.

on sat night i had aberdeen angus pie and chips and veg and onion gravy then a mini lindt bunnny from the easter basket my mum brought me back from geneva.

then on sunday, had one bacon roll then we went out to an indian, and i had poppadoms and chutney, half an onion bhaji, half a samosa, then chicken korma pilau rice and naan bread.

and then for dinner a piece of apple pie and custard.

hahahahhaha. good GOD.

oh well! back on track today, and despite a terrible weekend i've lost 2lbs

Had a really yummy lunch of rocket/italian salad leaves, some chilli & coriander prawns, a spoonful of deli pasta and a bit of homous!

I've had prawn cocktail crisps as a snack too. tutut. but its not that bad, my lunch wasnt bad.

OH and before anyone says "you cant post what you eat"

thats just a selection to show how bad my weekend was, ive not posted my exact cals and what ive eaten exactly etc! :p:

ReputationRep:
    After two very good days I've had about 200 g of chocolate today (on top of other, fairly healthy food) - so I'm on about 2000 kcal already. Well will have a healthy dinner (a salad with tuna) and I'm going to the gym (and might do some extra cardio - will see how I'll feel) so in the end it won't be that bad and hopefully I'll get better tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I swear I can'r decide if I'm actually fatter or whether it's in my head. I'm currently wearing size 10 jeans that are like 2 inches too big at the waist, yet I'm feeling fatter than I have in months.

ReputationRep:
    Well, think about it logically. Do you weigh more than you did, say 3 months ago? Are your clothes tighter? If not then it's probably all in your head.

I know exactly how you feel with that though, how fat I feel is always relative to my current 'norm'. When I was 10st, I would feel really slim if I went down to 9st 12 or something.. but now I'm 9st 3, I feel really big if I weigh 9st 9 at the end of the day. I'm obviously slimmer than before, it's just compared to how I normally am.

ReputationRep:
    I'm craving chocolate atm...never usually do but think it is just a combination of all the chocolate in the shops and the fact that I'm home from uni and KNOW there is choc in the house (the stuff that I got given for Christmas and resisted then!)

Anyway, I should have an incentive to make the next few days good ones as have just got back from an amazing, food-filled weekend in Paris and even though the scales are the same (walking up all the steps at the Eiffel Tower probably helped!) I FEEL fatter because I know what I've eaten if that makes sense! I'm glad I relaxed my diet a little though as was such a lovely treat having crossaints for breakfast and had my favourite goat's cheese salad too

ReputationRep:
    I've just been constantly rubbish for the last two weeks. I've had essay deadlines so have hardly been to the gym at all and have just been eating so much. I've lost all motivation, I keep thinking 'oh a bit of chocolate (or whatever) won't make me fat' - but then if I keep doing it at this rate it will!

Plus I'm going out like every night at the moment since it's the last week of term. Cocktails and meals out = bad!!

And i'm going on holiday in two days so will probably eat loads then, plus I have no gym at home.

I can tell that everything's going to go even further downhill..i'm staying away from the scales for a few weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I swear I can'r decide if I'm actually fatter or whether it's in my head. I'm currently wearing size 10 jeans that are like 2 inches too big at the waist, yet I'm feeling fatter than I have in months.
    I think it's probably just in your head . I remember last year I had a personal trainer who weighted me every week in the gym - and one week, even though I did eat well and exercised lots, I was refusing to step on the scales because I was sure I had put weight on - and in the end i gave in and weighted myself - and had lost one kilo instead! And your clothes is too big - that's a good proof isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh dear, ended up eating 3 Creme eggs last night! Had such a craving for chocolate... they tasted so good though and am feeling slim atm at 8st 9lbs (weighed sunday morning). I also had hot chocolate and a millies cookie, so I've got to be good until my meal out on saturday. I went to the gym today and will go again tommorow and its my 5 days in ireland from thursday so hopefully in terms of food consumption it won't be too bad! We're stopping in tescos (derry-northern ireland) on the way so I'll be able to buy some apples, bananas, chicken etc before getting to my relatives

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm starting my diet TODAY. I've been saying that for the past year, but now i'm serious.

I just calculated my BMI and it's 30 Scary or what?!

I'm fed up of being bigger than all my friends, and also everyone telling me my slim sister is 'well fit'. Also I'm going to university in 2009, so i'd like to be slim by then. I want to study medicine, so i've figured that i'd be better at interview if i wasn't obese. Haha.

I've never done any exercise in my life so this should be fun.

Do you think it's realistic to lose 5 stone by christmas? If not, than ah well, a girl can dream :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's perfectly realistic.. that's just over 9 months which is plenty of time, so long as you stick to your diet and exercise.

However, most people generally have little slip ups which could slow things down. If you're really determined I reckon you could lose that much or thereabout.

I'm so determined to be good today following nearly a week of eating too much. I'm happy with my weight at the moment (wouldn't mind losing 1lb or two but nothing major) and I'm scared that eating badly will make me put on weight rather than maintaining. Plus I'm going away with hundreds of students next weds and hopefully the weather will be nice. If it is, it risks being bikini weather and I want to go feeling really confident as I have been lately, not like I need to cover myself up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raquel//)
    Right, I'm starting my diet TODAY. I've been saying that for the past year, but now i'm serious.

I just calculated my BMI and it's 30 Scary or what?!

I'm fed up of being bigger than all my friends, and also everyone telling me my slim sister is 'well fit'. Also I'm going to university in 2009, so i'd like to be slim by then. I want to study medicine, so i've figured that i'd be better at interview if i wasn't obese. Haha.

I've never done any exercise in my life so this should be fun.

Do you think it's realistic to lose 5 stone by christmas? If not, than ah well, a girl can dream :p:
    good for u for making a start!

xmas is 40 weeks away. 5st = 70lb. 70/40= 1.75 lbs per week
    which is do-able, especially as at the start of the diet you wll loose a lot more due to water which is stored with fat, and also your metabolism will still be high as your metabolism is used to more food.

3500kcal = 1 lb fat. to lose 1 lb a week you have to create a deficit of 3500cals, e.g. create a 500kcal deficit every day (or to lose 2 lbs per week create a 1000 cal deficit every day - but don't eat less than 1200 kcals). you should find out how many kcal you need to maintain your weight and create a deficit by lowerng food intake and increasing exercise. read the sticky on this forum to see how you find your miantenance kcals and a lot of other useful info as well.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've had a bad weekend (make that a long weekend) but it's been my birthday, my nan's birthday and I was at a music competition on sunday (stress and no time to eat added more junk to my diet!) but I'm going to be pretty good today! Was going to go the gym but am feeling really ill so I think I do some hardcore flute practice (got my grade 8 next friday) and some tidying up as the bf has left the flat in a right state when I wasn't here this weekend!

ReputationRep:
    I've eaten a huge chocolate bar (120 g) today (again...). But I don't honestly care too much as all my other food has been (and will be) pretty healthy and I'm surely not going over 1500 calories today (and will have a good workout in they gym)

ReputationRep:
    I had a naughty treat today - a cupcake with chocolate sprinkles and mini eggs on in John Lewis but shared it with my mum and it was for lunch so shouldn't make me go over my cals for today It was really nice. It's weird being back home and not just eating what I want, when I want like I do at uni, my parents eat really healthily though so it's not a problem having meals at home with them which makes it easier to stay on track Being back home makes me realise how much I've changed my diet and lifestyle though, like in the cafe today when I was choosing what to have I didn't even WANT any of the big chocolate-y cakes and cookies etc as they're just not part of my diet anymore and I've gone so long without having them that it'd be weird to just eat a massive slice of cake whereas this time last year I'd have thought nothing of it.

ReputationRep:
    I love that feeling liladriel.. just makes me feel really empowered and in control of everything

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.