The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

~Sam~
I'm going back to uni tomorrow and my mum's (hopefully!) taking me to tesco to stock up on some food. What's everyone's favourite healthy foods of the moment? Also I need ideas for easily portable lunches as I will prob be spending a lot of time in the library for the next few weeks!

I love multigrain crackers/oatcakes/rice cakes etc with Weight Watchers mini tuna tins as they don't need draining and are already mixed with dressing. Tuna Light Lunch pots are yummy and portable. I've also discovered babybel light mini cheeses which are 40cals each and good for calcium :smile:
arghhhh being at home for the last 3 weeks with much more temptation than university has made me pile on the pounds!! havnt done much exercise either as ive had ridiculous amounts of dissertation work to be doing. im feeling all fat and bloated at the moment so definatly getting back into it hardcore next week onwards. its only 5 weeks till my ball and i want to look my best for it..... sorry for the moan.
Reply 7222

liladriel
I love multigrain crackers/oatcakes/rice cakes etc with Weight Watchers mini tuna tins as they don't need draining and are already mixed with dressing. Tuna Light Lunch pots are yummy and portable. I've also discovered babybel light mini cheeses which are 40cals each and good for calcium :smile:

ooh those tuna light lunch things are a great idea, will be easy to just shove in my bag when I'm in a rush! Ditto to the babybels. I have some multigrain crackers already but will prob get some ryvita and oatcakes too. What are ricecakes like? Don't think i've ever had them!
i'm addicted to tuna light lunches! definitely go for some of them

they do them in tomato salsa (with sweetcorn, rice, red kidney beans), mediteranean (with pasta, flagolet beans, tomato dressing, but no sweetcorn), french style (with sweetcorn, and mustard dressing), and another one with water chestnuts. i would say i eat on average one a day :smile: - they really are yummy and filling

other good ideas are yogurts or cereal bars - alpen light and ryvita goodness are both about 60cals each

i just tried these apple crisps by 'fruitabu' - 50 cals a bag, really yummy and crispy, not especially filling though
Reply 7224
~Sam~
What are ricecakes like? Don't think i've ever had them!

They're not the nicest thing ever.. They are low-kcal but I've heard that they have absolutely no nutritional value.. So I think ryvita/wholewheat crackers are so much better! Finn Crisps are amazing, have you tried them? :smile:
My dad loves Finn Crisps but I can't say they excite me. Prefer Ryvita myself.

Last night I really over did it eating out with my parents. Full 3 courses plus over half a bottle of wine and spirit/mixer. Went for the main course option in a very bad mozzarella chicken with a creamy wine and bacon sauce. I had an amazing evening though so I'm just going to make healthy choices today. The fact I'm still feeling full this morning helps!
Rice cakes are really low cal - like 20 each but they're not as filling as multigrain crackers. Corn cakes are nice - they taste a bit like popcorn!

ellabella - I've not tried the tuna light lunch with water chesnuts - will look out for that one!
I like the mediterranean one best :smile:
Have you tried cornthins? they're normally next to rice cakes and they're made from corn and they're low call as well, 22 calories per piece and they taste like popcorn.they're yum :smile:

i didn't have dimsum in the end. bf got ill from the indian we had.tis been a bad weekend but kinds burnt some of it off. i'm back on the wagon today anyways.i'll weigh myself tomorrow morning and see how much damage i did lol although he did say i'm looking trimmer and feel lighter so that means i must be doing something right.

I'm also back on the wagon today. I'm making sure everything I eat is good for me, rather than just low in cals. Am having a big roast dinner later but I only eat the veg (steamed) and some chicken breast so it will be nice and healthy. I'm doing well so far, and am determined to keep it up. When I get into good habits I find it all so easy to stick to, it's just a matter of sticking with it over the next few days. I'm feeling fairly confident that I can do it though :smile:
plain popcorn! the kind you pop yourslef, or i'm ure you can buy it in bags already popped.
fruit, obvvv.
Reply 7230

Thanks for everyone's help! I stocked up quite a bit...spent more than I probably should have! Got the mediterranian tuna light lunch and also a chicken one by the same brand which looked nice. Also got babybells (thanks!) and some ryvita snack packs which will be easy to transport. Got a pack of three skinny cow ice creams too. Have never had them before but have heard good things from this thread! Only 87 calories each too so can have one when im craving chocolate
the ice creams are empty calories. 100ml of ice cream is very little and isn't feeling,they're only about 20-50 calories less than normal ice cream with other chemicals in them. the skinny cow smoothies are good,but the ice creams aren't worth it i have to say.or that's what i feel anyways.
I like Skinny Cow even though it's nutritionally devoid :redface: The chocolate ones are my favourite.

I'm so hungry...having homemade mousakka for dinner though which is probably quite high calorie so glad that I haven't had much so far today. Just going to have a small portion with lots of salad so should be ok!
Reply 7233

To be fair, all chocolate is pretty much empty calories! Just thought i'd get them to have on days when i've been good or just really need a chocolate fix! I like the fact that i know how many calories I'm eating too because if I get a tub i'll just eat and eat til it's all gone!
^Options hot chocolate is good for something sweet too. I like how the Skinny Cow stuff is already portioned - we had some ice cream at home lately and 1/5 of a pot was 140cals which doesn't sound too bad but the pot was tiny - I could've easily eaten half of it and not realised how many cals that would have :redface:

Yeah I hate it when they do that.. 1/5 of a pot is hard to judge too! If they're going to do that I'd rather them say 1/2 or 1/4, it's easier to judge!

I've had a pretty good day, have had about 1230cals. Might have an options hot choc in a bit but that'll be it for today.
Made my lunch for my day trip to uni tomorrow. I feel organised for once. Chicken, sweetcorn and salad pittas. Better than buying whilst I'm there. I'm a terrible train journey snacker :s:
Same...I always want to eat sweets etc when I'm on trains - no idea why...

I'm going to London tomorrow so will treat myself to a mocha light frappachino from Starbucks :biggrin:

Ooh those are amazing, I love them in summertime. Really good cal wise too compared to lots of iced drinks.
Reply 7239
I'm so proud of myself :biggrin: Mum's left me a piece of a really nice cake and I resisted (it was quite a big piece and I would never be able to eat only a bit - would finish the whole thing and then I would probably feel guilty so it would trigger a binge) and put it in the freezer so that mum can have it any time later and it won't tempt me anymore :smile: . I'm going food-shopping now, so might be some nice, a bit more healthy treat like a really nice ceral bar or something.

Oh, and I've lost another pound :biggrin:

Latest