TSR Weight Loss Society Part II Watch

This discussion is closed.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Tonight won't be healthy. Cooking a meal for my boyfriend tonight as I haven't seen him for a couple of weeks. Making a lamb and chickpea curry (which shouldn't be too bad as there is no coconut milk or cream in it - its just lamb, chickpeas, peppers, onion, tomatoes and lamb stock plus all the spices of course) but I've made chocolate mousse and coconut macaroons too. They are not so good for you but should be oh so yummy and I might let myself have a glass of wine too. Had a small lunch so it will balance out.
SilverWings
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That doesn't sound all that bad, especially since you'll be working it all off with sex
ChocolateEyes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I save all my unspent food money It will be spent in one big blowout in june!
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woo I've only had one chocolate egg since lunch (sorry, but thats really really good for me) and ive only had water. I even substituted in an orange instead of chocolate. Even better is that I have a yummy lamb roast for tea which im pleased about!
SilverWings
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mmmm lamb :coma:

Watch the fat ;yes;
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
awww no i hadnt thought that through. I love munching the fat. I really want to have one little piece just to say goodbye! But that would be naughty.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ChocolateEyes)
I save all my unspent food money It will be spent in one big blowout in june!
Thats such a good idea!
millies567
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by angie:nofrills)
Quite a lot of carbs here...try and limit yourself to 2 slices of bread per day...this makes me not want to have toast in the morning, so I have fruit salad/cereal instead. And chances are, you could go without any bread in the day if you don't have toast for breakfast and you have something other than a sandwich for lunch.

To make lunch more exciting you could make some different stuff, if you like salad (which I don't particularly but I have the stuff that i like in a salad...peppers, cucumber, spinach, sweetcorn and beetroot) and cut up little bits of low fat cheese - yummy!

A nice supper is roasted veg cut up quite small (i use peppers, courgettes, butternut squash, potatoes and carrots) mixed up with couscous (mediterranean tomato is my fave). Really filling and it's nice cold aswell for lunch the next day!

Also check your soups, some can be really high in sugar/salts or generally calorific. Home made soups are LUSH, so much nicer than tinned, just chuck loads of vegetables together and make it into a puree basically.

But generally you seem like you're doing pretty well!!!

I love how i'm saying all this yet i've been eating like a heffa lately, oh well, i'm starting very strict tomorrow!
I knoww theres loads of carbs involved b/w my brekkie n lunch. But the problem is, i cant seem to find any alternatives to eat for brekkie. Because i dont really like cereal as i dont like milk so i cant eat my cereal with anything. Plus i dont know why but i seem to think cereal isnt good for me. (Are kelloggs cornflakes alright?). the other alternative i was thinking of was fruit and maybe a nutrigrain bar? But im not sure how good theya re for you either

For lunch.. the soup that i buy is from this little cafe, and it says across is that the soup is 'home made', iv had some of my friends taste it aswell and they think its pretty good. But im going to get round to making my own soup and take that into work. Sandwiches, because i work.. they seem to be the only option for me. Altho i do try and mix around at lunch times, i have pasta or.. jacket potato with beans. Im not really into salads cz they dont really fill me up at all and i just end up snacking on lots of different things.

Dinner is really good, as im at home so either i cook or my mum cooks for me! Hehe.

Any more suggestions on lunch?

I didnt have a very good day yday :mad: but i think iv madeup for it 2day. All iv had is, 2 slices of toast for brekkie, mixed fruit for lunch and some sweetcorn and egg with tomato's for dinner. Im also having a cup of tea now! Hopefully that shoould cancel yday out?

LOL.. yeahh iits just shocking to me because i was 8st 5 in about septemberish.. and iv just put all this weight on cz one day after 6 months i thought id eat a choc and then everyday till about 3 weeks ago id eat about 3 each day!! So i wana try and be like how i was.

How did ur day go today?
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by millies567)
Im quite short actually. Im 5ft 3

At the moment, im trying to have 3 full meals a day, and if i snack during the day just snacking on fruit or tea.

Normally this is what i have for my 3 meals,

Brekkie - 2 Slices of wholemeal toast with jam and a glass of orange juice, or.. scrambled egg and toast.

Lunch - Sandwich made from home, Subway (tuna) again i try limit it to once a week, soup and fruit or jacket potato and beans or pasta.

Dinner - either rice and lentils, or pasta with chicken etc.

I dont do much exercise each day, but thats mainly because atm im on a gap year and im working 9-5 everyday. I cashier so im on my feet all day and running around at times. However, everyday at work i do climb 200 stairs up and down to get to the canteen. And i go for about a 15 min walk every lunch time. At the weekends i try to go walking for longer like an hour or 2 each day.

Also, im not sure if this even helps but everyday when i get back from work and before i go to bed i try and do 100 star jumps

But thats pretty much what i do. I know i need to up m exercise abit.. but im just waiting till i have abit more time on my hands.

What do u think? anything i could change?
I'm not toooo concerned about the carb level - since these help fill you up, prevent snacking. My main concern is the protein level at breakfast. ie limit the scrambled egg, only have it very occasionally.

For lunch stick to sandwich homemade if possible, or salad, soup and a slice of bread. i would avoid the jacket potato - and have the potato as a main meal item.
Definately up the exercise. The diet does seem really low in calcium though - i would add in a low fat yoghurt if you like that sort of thing.

Other than that, look at any little calorific things you may use, e.g. fat spreads - i personally don't use any spread on my sandwiches, because even if its butter or margarine they all contain similar calorie values, just different type of fat. (and each spreading on bread is at least 50kcal!)

Cooking methods would be the other point - if you fry address the amount of oil you use. Try to ovenbake/grill if possible, and use as little oil as possible if you need to use it.

Would you usually have veg with your meals too?
millies567
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
I'm not toooo concerned about the carb level - since these help fill you up, prevent snacking. My main concern is the protein level at breakfast. ie limit the scrambled egg, only have it very occasionally.

For lunch stick to sandwich homemade if possible, or salad, soup and a slice of bread. i would avoid the jacket potato - and have the potato as a main meal item.
Definately up the exercise. The diet does seem really low in calcium though - i would add in a low fat yoghurt if you like that sort of thing.

Other than that, look at any little calorific things you may use, e.g. fat spreads - i personally don't use any spread on my sandwiches, because even if its butter or margarine they all contain similar calorie values, just different type of fat. (and each spreading on bread is at least 50kcal!)

Cooking methods would be the other point - if you fry address the amount of oil you use. Try to ovenbake/grill if possible, and use as little oil as possible if you need to use it.

Would you usually have veg with your meals too?
Yeahh... i only have scrambled egg once a week, no more than that. When i do have that though i try andbe healthy and have likea soup at lunch time.

Normally my sandwiches are home made, however sometimes i do have a tuna and sweetcorn sandwich from M&S. (is that ok?) Even with the pasta, i try to vary my lunch now n then so i cook pasta at home n then take it into work.

On my toast in the morning, i have a teeeny bit of jam but i dont like butter or margarine or anything in my sandwiches. Just dont like the taste of that.

And again with the jacket potato, it normally a treat once a week. I only have the jacket potato with beans tho. Nothing else, no cheese or anything of the sort.

And yepp i have veg and salad with my meals all the time. LOTS of salad goes into my sandwiches. And i have a portion of fruit aswell.

Yeahh i am calcium defficient :-( but the thing is.. i dont like milk. urgh. and i hardly eat yoghurts. But i really do need to up this somehow. Thats one reason i dnt have cereal in the morning because i dont drink milk. Any other suggestions for brekkie? Some days i have a banana, and a glass of orange juice?

Thanks for ur reply btw
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeahh... i only have scrambled egg once a week, no more than that. When i do have that though i try andbe healthy and have likea soup at lunch time.

Normally my sandwiches are home made, however sometimes i do have a tuna and sweetcorn sandwich from M&S. (is that ok?) Even with the pasta, i try to vary my lunch now n then so i cook pasta at home n then take it into work.

On my toast in the morning, i have a teeeny bit of jam but i dont like butter or margarine or anything in my sandwiches. Just dont like the taste of that.

And again with the jacket potato, it normally a treat once a week. I only have the jacket potato with beans tho. Nothing else, no cheese or anything of the sort.

And yepp i have veg and salad with my meals all the time. LOTS of salad goes into my sandwiches. And i have a portion of fruit aswell.

Yeahh i am calcium defficient :-( but the thing is.. i dont like milk. urgh. and i hardly eat yoghurts. But i really do need to up this somehow. Thats one reason i dnt have cereal in the morning because i dont drink milk. Any other suggestions for brekkie? Some days i have a banana, and a glass of orange juice?

Thanks for ur reply btw
I actually think toast for your brekkie is great. Maybe fruit salad - but thats not as filling. To follow healthy eating principles, you should have some carb at each meal.

If your struggling to lose any weight, look into portion sizing. Its hard to tell, but you may be getting too much protein. Protein should be the smallest thing on your plate, so the protein part of the meal should be around 20% of the plate, 40% carbs, and 40% veggies. You don't really need a big protein source at breakfast time, and a small portion of a high protein food at lunch e.g. sandwich filling is adequate enough (beans is probably too much).

In terms of the M&S sandwich, check the label. See what they add e.g. Mayo, butter etc. usually though the M&S ones aren't too bad. In terms of the pasta at lunch, just watch the portion size, if its for lunch, it should be smaller than the portion you would have in an evening meal.

Non dairy forms of calcium include beans, green veggies, dried fruit e.g. apricots, canned sardines.

Do you like milkshake style drinks? e.g. crusha, nesquick, flavoured milk, hot choc? Or low fat soft cheese, high in calcium, low in fat.
millies567
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
I actually think toast for your brekkie is great. Maybe fruit salad - but thats not as filling. To follow healthy eating principles, you should have some carb at each meal.

If your struggling to lose any weight, look into portion sizing. Its hard to tell, but you may be getting too much protein. Protein should be the smallest thing on your plate, so the protein part of the meal should be around 20% of the plate, 40% carbs, and 40% veggies. You don't really need a big protein source at breakfast time, and a small portion of a high protein food at lunch e.g. sandwich filling is adequate enough (beans is probably too much).

In terms of the M&S sandwich, check the label. See what they add e.g. Mayo, butter etc. usually though the M&S ones aren't too bad. In terms of the pasta at lunch, just watch the portion size, if its for lunch, it should be smaller than the portion you would have in an evening meal.

Non dairy forms of calcium include beans, green veggies, dried fruit e.g. apricots, canned sardines.

Do you like milkshake style drinks? e.g. crusha, nesquick, flavoured milk, hot choc? Or low fat soft cheese, high in calcium, low in fat.
Yeahh i love having toast for brekkie. It really does fill me up and i dont snack that day at all. So mainly every day i have toast with a little jam and a cup of tea in the morning.

Im actually loosing a little bit of weight with what im doing now. So far.. int he first week i lost 5 pounds but in the 2nd only 1 pound :-(. Not sure how iv done this week as my weigh in is on friday!! But hopefully i havnt put any weight on.. altho i havnt had a great week this week. Had 3 bowls of bombay mix yday and a millies cookies the day before. And lots of peanuts. But we shall have to see.
dp0567
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i need some advice

today i had some pasta which was abt max 300 kcal (i woke up late so no breakfast) and just now had chicken noodle soup and 2 slices of bread. i also had some maltesers...(bad i know!) i've eaten a lot of carbs (pasta and 2 slices of bread) but its been about 800kcal so far which leaves me 400 kcals for dinner.

anyway my question is...(excuse me for not being able to use my own judgement! :P ) yday i over indulged and consumed about 2000 calories..should i have eaten less today to "balance" it out? It's been about three days of strict dieting, the first day i was super good, yday was v.bad and today, the third day, has been okayish...i know i should have left the maltesers - bad judgement.

I guess I just want reassurance...i really want to lose some weight this week, even if it is just a pound but im afraid i've blown it based on today and yesterday. what do you guys think? oh and i havent done any excercise...im too afraid to go to the gym and havent been active at all. i've got an exercise bike so im going to start using that but i havent so far. thanks guys..sorry if i come off as an idiot..im feeling quite down and guilty about my diet even though on some level i know ive been fairly good (with the exception of yesterday) compared to the last few months!!

EDIT: Apologies...i know writing down calories in this thread is not allowed, but just to let you guys know, on monday i was extremely good, kept to my calorie intake of 1200, yesterday was bad - 2000 kcal and today so far has been 800 kcal with dinner yet to come.
Sarah Sheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hello. I need help.

Baaaasically I really need to lose weight. I'm not going to say how much I weigh at the moment because 1) it's hugely embarrassing and 2) well I don't actually know right now.

I come to you seemingly wise (hopefully) people to ask what sort of meals you've cooked that are tasty, easy to do, cheap and healthy! Any tasty yet not too bad for you snacks would be appreciated too. Although I do not have an oven in my flat (damn German kitchenettes) I do have a George Foreman grill. Oh, and my local supermarket is rubbish so the fewer the ingredients the better...

Once I get back to uni I do plan on going to the gym, and I am going to go swimming every week once I go back home this summer. Any of tips? I am really not good at exercise or eating healthily which is my main problem. I don't want to be fat any more.

danke.
Gosha
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dp0567)
i need some advice

today i had some pasta which was abt max 300 kcal (i woke up late so no breakfast) and just now had chicken noodle soup and 2 slices of bread. i also had some maltesers...(bad i know!) i've eaten a lot of carbs (pasta and 2 slices of bread) but its been about 800kcal so far which leaves me 400 kcals for dinner.

anyway my question is...(excuse me for not being able to use my own judgement! :P ) yday i over indulged and consumed about 2000 calories..should i have eaten less today to "balance" it out?
I would say that if you stick to those 1,200 calories it will be great, you shouldn't go below that (after all that is the recommended minimum!). If you still feel guilty about yesterday, what about some exercise? Much better than starving yourself!
Gosha
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sarah Sheep,

you're still better off than me term-time - I don't even have a grill (I am in catered halls but refuse to eat in the dining hall as it made me put on loads of weight), just a fridge, kettle, toaster and a microwave and can perfectly live off that.
It depends on what kind of food you're used to eating/you like. Last term I usually had lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, cottage cheese, chicken breast, tuna, porridge, toast, ryvita, nuts, occasionaly a baked potato with cottage cheese from a café or a sandwich from Subway, but I'm not that keen on proper cooked meals anyway.
Sarah Sheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gosha)
(I am in catered halls but refuse to eat in the dining hall as it made me put on loads of weight),
Well Founders food does often swim in grease. :P

I eat far too much bread and cheese!
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeahh i love having toast for brekkie. It really does fill me up and i dont snack that day at all. So mainly every day i have toast with a little jam and a cup of tea in the morning.

Im actually loosing a little bit of weight with what im doing now. So far.. int he first week i lost 5 pounds but in the 2nd only 1 pound :-(. Not sure how iv done this week as my weigh in is on friday!! But hopefully i havnt put any weight on.. altho i havnt had a great week this week. Had 3 bowls of bombay mix yday and a millies cookies the day before. And lots of peanuts. But we shall have to see.
Don't feel sad about losing only 1 pound - Afterall healthy weight loss is only a couple of pounds a week. Its going down which is gooood! Your allowed treats from time to time.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dp0567)
i need some advice

anyway my question is...(excuse me for not being able to use my own judgement! :P ) yday i over indulged and consumed about 2000 calories..should i have eaten less today to "balance" it out? It's been about three days of strict dieting, the first day i was super good, yday was v.bad and today, the third day, has been okayish...i know i should have left the maltesers - bad judgement.

I guess I just want reassurance...i really want to lose some weight this week, even if it is just a pound but im afraid i've blown it based on today and yesterday. what do you guys think? oh and i havent done any excercise...im too afraid to go to the gym and havent been active at all. i've got an exercise bike so im going to start using that but i havent so far. thanks guys..sorry if i come off as an idiot..im feeling quite down and guilty about my diet even though on some level i know ive been fairly good (with the exception of yesterday) compared to the last few months!!

EDIT: Apologies...i know writing down calories in this thread is not allowed, but just to let you guys know, on monday i was extremely good, kept to my calorie intake of 1200, yesterday was bad - 2000 kcal and today so far has been 800 kcal with dinner yet to come.
Don't get into the habit of over indulging and then restricting. Your not going to stick to the diet if you leave it really strict. Take your current (less healthy) diet, choose one thing to change each WEEK, and only change something else if you manage to stick to the previous change, it could be something like onl;y having chocolate x times a week instead of xxx times a week.
exercise is very very important, so if you can include some do. It'll make the weight loss easier, and means you can be a little more flexible with the diet.

And don't dwell on carbs - i don't think they should be restricted in a healthy eating diet.
millies567
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeahh i guess so :-) as long as i lose abt a pound a week im happy.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads