The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gawd when I finished work today cos it had been well busy and I'd done a good job the chef gave me a veggie burger and chips (eeeek!!) to take home, they put TWO burgers in the veggie burger, means the chef likes me tho - hooray... I'm done with food for today (my mum got me a creme egg but I'm gonna give it to my bro) and maybe go for a run later if my feet stop hurting!
Haha urgh temptation is really frustrating here!
When I was at home, there was no lovely chocolate cake etc to tempt me, but I'm back at uni and all my friends are having doughnuts and chips, and I'm desparately trying to find something healthy and sticking to an apple for pudding.
Still, got to keep my motivation up, like everyone else here has been doing for so much longer than me :smile:
Reply 8442
Georgiahoneybee
Haha urgh temptation is really frustrating here!
When I was at home, there was no lovely chocolate cake etc to tempt me, but I'm back at uni and all my friends are having doughnuts and chips, and I'm desparately trying to find something healthy and sticking to an apple for pudding.
Still, got to keep my motivation up, like everyone else here has been doing for so much longer than me :smile:

I know what you mean, uni is evil! I'm OK with resisting food temptation here, but alcohol is my downfall! I can go months without a chocolate bar but just drink way too much :frown: Try and stick to vodka and diet cokes though for some damage limitation.

Plus, its hard at first, but soon you'll get into a routine, and better habits, and it'll be much easier. Plus the weight will start coming off and that is very motivating!
I think there's more temptation at home - mum buys all the things I won't buy myself so they're lying around the house waiting for me to eat them! At least at uni you choose what to buy and can't impulsively eat naughty things without making the effort to go to the shops.
beebeeworm
I think there's more temptation at home - mum buys all the things I won't buy myself so they're lying around the house waiting for me to eat them! At least at uni you choose what to buy and can't impulsively eat naughty things without making the effort to go to the shops.

Same sometimes there's so much junk in our house. And I think I've set myself up being surrounded by temptation of free meals from work lol. I think my will power is stronger than the temptation tho. Probs only have something bad (i.e. veggie burger but no chips again) once a week.
Reply 8445
^ true, but most students dont have the healthiest lifestyle, so you tend to be surrounded by temptation anyway. Example: last night I went to a party where there were TEN dominoes pizzas. TEN!! Even I couldnt resist a slice.
Reply 8446
beebeeworm

Exacatly the same here!

Anyway, had a great day - a clean diet and went to a stability ball class in the gym (plus ten minutes on the stepper as I was early for the class) which was fun and surprisingly some of the exercises seemed really effective!
leona
I know what you mean, uni is evil! I'm OK with resisting food temptation here, but alcohol is my downfall! I can go months without a chocolate bar but just drink way too much :frown: Try and stick to vodka and diet cokes though for some damage limitation.

Plus, its hard at first, but soon you'll get into a routine, and better habits, and it'll be much easier. Plus the weight will start coming off and that is very motivating!

Haha ahh yes, because its exam time at the moment, alcohol hasn't been too much of a problem, but I know once exams are over, there will be a lot of drinking, which although is very enjoyable haha, soo many rubbish calories.
Ooh yeah I recently discovered vodka and diet coke, and actually really enjoyed it :smile:.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping! Once it becomes routine or habit hopefully I won't think about it so much. Hehe and yes I can imagine actually seeing all your hard work paying off being the biggest reward.
Unfort, well obv I don't have scales at uni, but at home my scales are v tempremental, one minute I'm 9 stone 6, next minute I'm 10 stone (and this is from weighing first thing in the morning)!
And yeah as others have said they find dieting easier at uni because they can buy their own food, for me its the other way round. I'm in catered halls here at uni, so my choice of what to eat- is whatever the cooks choose to serve me, which is not usually healthy in the slightest :s, whereas at home, I always tag along on the weekly shop and put what I fancy in and try and stop the bad things going in too haha!
Hope everyones doing ok. Am thinking I'll go to the gym again tomorrow, had such a good run on the treadmill yesterday......
Sorry, I seemed to go off on a bit of a tangent and didn't actually finish what I was going to say about my dodgy scales haha. What I meant to say was because they are so unstable its going to be difficult for me to measure my progress and be motivated by losing pounds each week etc, because they're so inaccurate. But my parents think I'm fine as I am, and after suddenly running all the time and not eating loads of junk food like I used to, I think they might be a bit worried if I started bringing home my own scales too haha.
Reply 8449
You could try using scales in Boots or something? Though it might not be as accurate as you would (hopefully!) have clothes on lol and food in you. My scales are dodgy too, but I like them as I weigh four pounds less on them than on the ones at home!

I admire you trying to eat healthily in catered halls, it must be almost impossible! I was in catered last year, which is probably why I put on weight in the first place. I cringe looking back on it, literally nothing was healthy there. And I had the mindset of 'I'm paying for it so I must eat as much as I can!' So on the whole, not good!
The scales in my gym are inaccurate, is v.annoying, they have a sign next to it saying that theyre inaccurate and take off 4-5 kilos - you think they would have just gone and bought a new set!
I weigh 77kg on them which means my real weight is somewhere in the region of 81-82kg, but have no idea where, lol. May have to buy my own set. However on the plus side I have lost somewhere between 1 and 2 kilos, considering Ive only been gymming and trying to count cals or about 2 weeks and I went for a 3 course meal during that time, I'm very happy, yay!
Damn sneaky calories have brought my total up a bit today too, checked the bottle of cranberry juice id nearly finished and it was 250 cals! grr, have to remember not to buy that again. I also just had a stodgy bowl of pasta, mm it was nice, but about 800 cals with the sauce and tuna. Ah well, cant deny yourself everything (plus I did go to the gym today)
Reply 8451
ooooo :smile: alright day considering I did 1 hours swimming nad 30-45 mins walking and worked 5 hrs:^_^:
was under 500 or so cals but then had a low fat cheese wrap, 2 satsumas,special k bar, a packet of jelly tots and a low fat muffin dessert(130-40 odd cals 2.8g fat and 1.4 sat fat me thinks) was actually REALLY nice...didnt feel too naughty either. Also just had some blackberries.....am feeling a lil peckish now so may see what else we have that is healthy and good for the nom.
Reply 8452
Ok so I just tried beetroot - and it's really nice, I don't remember who first mentioned it, but thanks :wink: I think it will definitely become a part of my diet!
I did I did!!

Thank me, for I am wonderful!!
No run... but haven't eaten anything else so however calorific the veggie burger was there's no way I'm over 1300 - 1500 cals for today :biggrin:.
toddlers crossword
The scales in my gym are inaccurate, is v.annoying, they have a sign next to it saying that theyre inaccurate and take off 4-5 kilos - you think they would have just gone and bought a new set!
I weigh 77kg on them which means my real weight is somewhere in the region of 81-82kg, but have no idea where, lol. May have to buy my own set. However on the plus side I have lost somewhere between 1 and 2 kilos, considering Ive only been gymming and trying to count cals or about 2 weeks and I went for a 3 course meal during that time, I'm very happy, yay!
Damn sneaky calories have brought my total up a bit today too, checked the bottle of cranberry juice id nearly finished and it was 250 cals! grr, have to remember not to buy that again. I also just had a stodgy bowl of pasta, mm it was nice, but about 800 cals with the sauce and tuna. Ah well, cant deny yourself everything (plus I did go to the gym today)

Yeah my gym scales take about 1/4 stone off me, which is weird as my electric ones at home show me to be heavier. It annoying as I don't know which ones to trust! But I use my ones at home for the sake of seeing the numbers move, so I can see a loss even if my weight isn't accurate to start with.
I think my scales are wrong - I weigh more now than I did last night by like 2lbs. I might weigh myself in town somewhere if I can find some scales!
Weight does fluctuate like that - i would just weigh weekly.
I lost 4 pounds this week!! Went out to eat twice aswell, once for a curry and once to nando's. So i am happy. I think it might be because i've been doing more walking lately as the weather is really nice.

However, i've now got a cold :-( so feel abit ****e. Just had a nice brekkie tho, scrambled egg with toast and green tea. Anyone know how many calories that may be?
millies567
I lost 4 pounds this week!! Went out to eat twice aswell, once for a curry and once to nando's. So i am happy. I think it might be because i've been doing more walking lately as the weather is really nice.

However, i've now got a cold :-( so feel abit ****e. Just had a nice brekkie tho, scrambled egg with toast and green tea. Anyone know how many calories that may be?

Well one tablespoon of scrambled egg is 23kcal, and then bread is usually around 90 per slice (but check the back of the pack because it varies) and then about 30cals for a spreading of butter! So depends how many pieces of bread you had! :smile:

What have you been doing to lose 4lbs? Is it calorie counting you've been doing?

Latest