The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

excellent! I had a gherkin which counts since its a pickled cucumber, i had 2 lots of veggies in my pasta, and a portion of tropical fruits in my porridge, so i'm not doing too badly either.
Reply 8621
~Kirsty~
excellent! I had a gherkin which counts since its a pickled cucumber, i had 2 lots of veggies in my pasta, and a portion of tropical fruits in my porridge, so i'm not doing too badly either.

ooo good stuff. Dried tropical fruits? I'm not a big fan of them! Innocent smoothies are on special offer atm....the blackberry, boysenberry and blubeerry one is SO nice and so popular. When on special there's rarely that many left unless I go early on. Also the one that was for spring(purple passion fruits and lychees) was lovely. The new one for summer i think is pineapple cocounuts and lemongrass...I'm a bit wary of trying that but once my current ones run out I'm definetely getting two more in the 2 for 4 quid offer...take advantage me thinks!:biggrin:
OOOO my new lowfat snack tip

M&S poppodums are only 35 cals each! and with sweet mango chutney, the whole jar is just over 400cals, and obviously you only eat a teeny bit. so yeah, if you want a yummy lowfat snack i recommend these :biggrin:
I've only had bran flakes so far today =/

edit: Jen I like that tip!
my day has been rubbish so far, i had a fresh pain au chocolat for breakfast :redface:

and since ive had 2 poppodums with a bit of mango chutney, and a carton of orange juice (waste of 100cals!).

but HOPEFULLY i'll get myself to the gym later, and i plan on just having prawn stirfry for dinner so that wont be many cals :smile:
If I'm going to the gym I need to leave the house in 20 mins... Or today could be my rest day cos I went gym yday and ran the day before... hmmm... *feeling lazy and sorting uni stuff for October *excited* *
Reply 8626
Thanks for the replies, 600 kcals doesn't sound too bad - today I decided to stick with beans (the curry looked a bit weird), but I'll definitely try it some other day! :smile:
Lilian
ooo good stuff. Dried tropical fruits? I'm not a big fan of them! Innocent smoothies are on special offer atm....the blackberry, boysenberry and blubeerry one is SO nice and so popular. When on special there's rarely that many left unless I go early on. Also the one that was for spring(purple passion fruits and lychees) was lovely. The new one for summer i think is pineapple cocounuts and lemongrass...I'm a bit wary of trying that but once my current ones run out I'm definetely getting two more in the 2 for 4 quid offer...take advantage me thinks!:biggrin:

No they were tesco frozen fruit. I'm not keen on the shop bought smoothies, i find it cheaper to make my own or buy fruit juice, my funds are a bit limited at the moment.
Lilian
I've started having like about 250-300 cals of chocolate or a little treat a day within my cals. Is this okay? I find it stops binging cus I know I can save some cals and have something hat I fancy!

hmm, yes, I lost 3 stones that way.
Reply 8629
I've had a great day today!
Rye bread for breakfast and just ate some red thai curry which was delicious (and although it had coconut milk in it, quite healthy).
Also ate about 25g of toblerone but at least no binging :p:.

I'm baking a Finnish pancake for evening which has hardly any fat in it :smile:.
I had half of a large jacket potato for lunch.. with some beans. No butter/margarine on the jacket potato at all. No cheese either.

How many cals do you guys think that is? About 400?
I'll just log into my dietary analysis software and tell you - its hard to tell what size the large jacket is, but i'll guess the same as a whole small jacket potato. How many beans would you say - about half a big can?

Based on the potato been about 100g, and the beans been a small can/half a big can, its 330 kcal!
Reply 8632
Exam stress and not enough sleep are starting to catch up on me :s-smilie: Had to leave the gym earlier than was planned (after a toning class) because I started to feel really tired and weak. Apart from that, they day's been good (just drank too much diet coke - but that's to stay awake while revising)

Anyway, I'm reigistered with Sparkpeople and get e-mails for them - and it sounds like good inspiration for everyone who has the 'all or nothing' approach and tend to give up after a slip (like me) so I though I'd post it here:

Sparkpeople
If you forgot to brush your teeth last night, did you decide this morning to throw in the towel and never brush your teeth again? Since you're obviously a slob who doesn't have enough self- discipline to remember to brush your teeth, why bother brushing them at all if you forgot to last night?

Of course not.

So if you had ice cream for dinner last night, or didn't exercise yesterday, or gained a pound this week, don't throw in the towel! Make a healthier choice for dinner tonight by eating something lean. Go for a short walk. Weigh in again next week.

Just do NOT give up.
Reply 8633
well_tempered
hmm, yes, I lost 3 stones that way.

~Kirsty~
oh dear! Do you have breaks at work other than lunch? Just make sure if you do you have a snack during your breaks, and maybe a snack before your flute lesson.

I prefer early lunch too, and i also have early tea (5pm). That way i'm having big meals every 4-5 hours, with small snacks inbetween as needed.

Sorry, I meant I prefer to have lunch later, to break up the day as then the afternoon goes faster :smile: It was my first day so I didn't really want to take the pee by carrying food with me or asking for an extra break.

I just get the one break at 12.15, but I have some green tea now to sip throughout the day and I've put some peanuts in my drawer in case of afternoon munchies! So that if I'm starving I don't get to that state today. Although I smaller lunch today (although was tuna and pasta) which I only ate half of as I wasn't too hungry and then had some tea when I got back from break, and that was enough to last me until I got home without feeling hungry. Need to find some more really really filling packed lunch ideas! :smile:
Gosha
Exam stress and not enough sleep are starting to catch up on me :s-smilie: Had to leave the gym earlier than was planned (after a toning class) because I started to feel really tired and weak. Apart from that, they day's been good (just drank too much diet coke - but that's to stay awake while revising)

Anyway, I'm reigistered with Sparkpeople and get e-mails for them - and it sounds like good inspiration for everyone who has the 'all or nothing' approach and tend to give up after a slip (like me) so I though I'd post it here:

I'm feeling the exam stress and not enough sleep thing too. Although the more tired I get the harder it is to revise so it's such a vicious circle :frown: Does anyone know of any foods that'll give me energy but aren't too high calorie? I know that nuts are supposed to be good but was looking at some today and a tiny pack is like 300cals which is too much for a snack. I'm trying to be sensible with regular meals etc and am being less strict with myself as to carbs as they provide energy (and to be fair, I've stayed exactly the same weight for the last 2 weeks so it can't be doing any harm.)

Going to treat myself to something naughty but yummy this weekend :smile: Anyone had anything particularly good lately? After 10 hours in the library today I feel like I deserve it :redface:

That's a really good tip, Gosha. I guess it's really easy to get into negative thought patterns but yes, slip-ups are definitely not the end of the world :smile:
Reply 8636
liladriel
I'm feeling the exam stress and not enough sleep thing too. Although the more tired I get the harder it is to revise so it's such a vicious circle :frown: Does anyone know of any foods that'll give me energy but aren't too high calorie? I know that nuts are supposed to be good but was looking at some today and a tiny pack is like 300cals which is too much for a snack. I'm trying to be sensible with regular meals etc and am being less strict with myself as to carbs as they provide energy (and to be fair, I've stayed exactly the same weight for the last 2 weeks so it can't be doing any harm.)

Going to treat myself to something naughty but yummy this weekend :smile: Anyone had anything particularly good lately? After 10 hours in the library today I feel like I deserve it :redface:

That's a really good tip, Gosha. I guess it's really easy to get into negative thought patterns but yes, slip-ups are definitely not the end of the world :smile:

bananas are really good for that. humus is very filling too. Pineapple is really high energy as well
I love pineapple :smile: Definetely going to get some bananas tomorrow when I go food shopping as they're cheap and will last all week...next week is exam week so probably won't have time to go to the shops so need to make sure I have everything sorted beforehand!
oooh - good luck with your exams!!!!! I have a job interview on Tuesday! yikes!
just booked to go to the maldives in 4 weeks!! :biggrin:

i have some SERIOUS dieting to do now though. argh!

Latest