Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    I was into Paul's CD and book for about a week. Then the novelty wore off.

How 'skinny' are your friends? Try not to set unachievable goals for yourself. It will make you feel like pants.
    Not necessarily skinny skinny, some of them are, but most just nicely proportioned and look nice in a bikini. Then there's me who's a heffa.

I think if i lost about 6-7lbs then i'd be happy in a bikini, but otherwise it's tankini all the way! What's a realistic goal to lose by 9th july?

Ooh i'm going to glastonbury in like 10 days so i won't be eating much there and walking around lots so that could come in handy!!

ReputationRep:
    Take those bunnies out of your sig :coma: They are not good for weight watching peeps such as us

ReputationRep:
    But they're funny.

ReputationRep:
    Question: When you finally decide to do something about your weight and/or eating/exercising habits, why do the randomest little things give you reason not to? For example, "Yeah, I'll go swimming three times a week and give up all crapfoods that do eff-all for my body!" then shortly afterwards, thoughts of being thought strange amongst your friends, or as if you'd be losing out because they'd all be eating pizza and whatnot around you and you feel kinda sad and vain about counting the calories, as it were?

The associations with weight loss and vanity or narcissism, and also a disruption of a lifestyle you kinda like, are what put me off a lot of the time. Not a good mentality, eh? Mayhaps it's because I still don't truly believe that I could be successful in trying..

Oh, also. Does anyone else have problems with doubt about what your real motivations are? Like, I'm often surprised to find myself thinking that I'd like to be thinner so I looked better to my boyfriend or whatever, but surely before embarking upon that vast journey, you should be confident that you're doing it for yourself? How do you do that?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any doubts with my motivation really, I do it because I feel miserable when I don't like the way I look and looking and feeling good makes me feel happy and enjoy everything so much more. Before you start you think you'll really miss the pizza etc with friends but there's no reason you can't have a little from time to time and if you're anything like me the confidence you get in yourself from losing a bit of weight will far outweigh any calories you miss out on.

And none of my friends really knew I was trying to lose weight, I would still eat takeaways occasionally but instead of getting a korma I'd get dry tikka, etc. Little changes mean you don't miss out and you enjoy everything so much more.

It's amazing how much something like this can affect how much you enjoy everything. It's not like I was really unhappy when I was a few lbs heavier, but I just like being able to try things on and not feel like the fat one compared to my friends (not that I ever really was the fat one I suppose but you know what I mean.. it's all mental)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anisaar)
    Question: When you finally decide to do something about your weight and/or eating/exercising habits, why do the randomest little things give you reason not to? For example, "Yeah, I'll go swimming three times a week and give up all crapfoods that do eff-all for my body!" then shortly afterwards, thoughts of being thought strange amongst your friends, or as if you'd be losing out because they'd all be eating pizza and whatnot around you and you feel kinda sad and vain about counting the calories, as it were?

The associations with weight loss and vanity or narcissism, and also a disruption of a lifestyle you kinda like, are what put me off a lot of the time. Not a good mentality, eh? Mayhaps it's because I still don't truly believe that I could be successful in trying..

Oh, also. Does anyone else have problems with doubt about what your real motivations are? Like, I'm often surprised to find myself thinking that I'd like to be thinner so I looked better to my boyfriend or whatever, but surely before embarking upon that vast journey, you should be confident that you're doing it for yourself? How do you do that?

it is unfair that people can eat loads of food and yet don't put on any weight, but thats life, i have to deal with the fact that i've got a crap metabolism and other people don't. everyones bodies different and you just have to adjust best to your bodies way of working and size etc. the same way someone who's allergic to nuts can't eat snickers, i think that unfair for them.

iam actually really happy about my body and size at the moment and my confidence has never been higher i look in the mirror and (apart from a few problems, which i can't change, i was born with it so i have to deal with it) i think i look well good

my motivation for losing weight was that i thought being a size 16 was too big and not 'normal' (not meaning to offend anyone here ) but now that iam a size14 i've never felt better. i think being a size 14 is normal so now i walk around thinking that 'yes! iam normal ' i can finally be proud of my body . now for me its about toning up my body, not really about losing weight even though being a size 12/14 is my ultimate dream but iam really happy with the way iam now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemkate)
    it is unfair that people can eat loads of food and yet don't put on any weight, but thats life, i have to deal with the fact that i've got a crap metabolism and other people don't. everyones bodies different and you just have to adjust best to your bodies way of working and size etc. the same way someone who's allergic to nuts can't eat snickers, i think that unfair for them.

iam actually really happy about my body and size at the moment and my confidence has never been higher i look in the mirror and (apart from a few problems, which i can't change, i was born with it so i have to deal with it) i think i look well good

my motivation for losing weight was that i thought being a size 16 was too big and not 'normal' (not meaning to offend anyone here ) but now that iam a size14 i've never felt better. i think being a size 14 is normal so now i walk around thinking that 'yes! iam normal ' i can finally be proud of my body . now for me its about toning up my body, not really about losing weight even though being a size 12/14 is my ultimate dream but iam really happy with the way iam now.

Well done! Size 14 is really good. I'd say it was about the same as Liv Tyler? And she is gorgeous. I think where size 16 could be viewed as "overweight" when you're at 14 it definitely couldn't.
    Having a slow metabolism is annoying. I hate watching really skinny people eat loads of pasta and stuff, and thinking if I ate any of it I'd be 4lb heavier the next day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    Well done! Size 14 is really good. I'd say it was about the same as Liv Tyler? And she is gorgeous. I think where size 16 could be viewed as "overweight" when you're at 14 it definitely couldn't.
    Having a slow metabolism is annoying. I hate watching really skinny people eat loads of pasta and stuff, and thinking if I ate any of it I'd be 4lb heavier the next day...
    thanks

i know! my sis can eat for england and yet she doesn't put on a thing. but whats really annoying and is when you hear people say fat people are fat cos they eat a lot.ok, a lot of fat people do eat a lot but loads don't and its even worse is when you hear it from someone who eats twice as much as me but is twice as slim :mad:.

iam still overweight though, but i don't care cos i actually look alright

ReputationRep:
    thanks

i know! my sis can eat for england and yet she doesn't put on a thing. but whats really annoying and is when you hear people say fat people are fat cos they eat a lot.ok, a lot of fat people do eat a lot but loads don't and its even worse is when you hear it from someone who eats twice as much as me but is twice as slim :mad:.

iam still overweight though, but i don't care cos i actually look alright
    I think the comforting thing is there are always people worse off. A girl I know eats nothing and exercises hours each day and is a little bit fatter than me. Feel really sorry for her

ReputationRep:
    Metabolism doesn't generally make a massive difference. I've found that people who I thought eat loads and stay tiny generally don't eat as much as I think. Or they'll eat lots in one go and not eat for hours and hours. They stay slim because they eat enough without eating too much. It's an easy line to cross.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    I think the comforting thing is there are always people worse off. A girl I know eats nothing and exercises hours each day and is a little bit fatter than me. Feel really sorry for her

i know, it is comforting. it must be horrible for her though but whats more important than size is being fit healthy. half my family are overweight/obese but thank god that we all have no medical problems, yet there are loads of skinny people who do have problems, everyone should be grateful of what they've got cos there are loads of people worse off then us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beebeeworm)
    Metabolism doesn't generally make a massive difference. I've found that people who I thought eat loads and stay tiny generally don't eat as much as I think. Or they'll eat lots in one go and not eat for hours and hours. They stay slim because they eat enough without eating too much. It's an easy line to cross.

my sis eats 5 largish meals a day, but shes slim, i eat 3 very small meals but iam fat???

i don't think its metabolism though, i just know its genetic, but i don't know the reason behind it so i just call it a slow metabolism.

I'm with you on this totally. I've never met someone who eats actually loads and stays slim without exercise/a untrue perception of"loads". I'm friends with countless examples :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    I'm with you on this totally. I've never met someone who eats actually loads and stays slim without exercise/a untrue perception of"loads". I'm friends with countless examples :p:

when i talk about loads i mean eating around 2000 calories a day, my friend and sis, size 8/10 and 10/12 regularly eats around 2000 a day and don't' put on weight.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know how many calories they eat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    How do you know how many calories they eat?

cos i've worked it out. i live with my sis so its easy to see how much she eats and i've asked my friend what she usually eats

when i talk about loads i mean eating around 2000 calories a day, my friend and sis, size 8/10 and 10/12 regularly eats around 2000 a day and don't' put on weight.
    that's mantienance though, and do they not exercise at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    that's mantienance though, and do they not exercise at all?

no they don't specifically exercise. i know that its maintainance for them but thats still a lot of calories in my eyes

ReputationRep:
    It's only a lot of cals because you're trying to lose weight. That's what the average woman needs to stay at the same weight. I just have never met a really slim girl over the age of about 16 who eats loads and loads. From my experience they often eat big meals but don't really snack or, if they snack, will be too full to eat a big dinner. It all evens out.

ReputationRep:
    It's only a lot of cals because you're trying to lose weight. That's what the average woman needs to stay at the same weight. I just have never met a really slim girl over the age of about 16 who eats loads and loads. From my experience they often eat big meals but don't really snack or, if they snack, will be too full to eat a big dinner. It all evens out.

yeah but not everyones average though and i am talking about what i believe to be too much. 2000 calories may be enough for most women to maintain their weight but if i eat over 1500 i put on weight, so to me 2000 is a lot!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.