Student finance + income support; lone parent

    • Thread Starter

    I'm a single parent and have just started my uni course.

    I've been advised to put a new claim in for income support although I've received maximum funding.

    Is it worth applying? as I'm almost positive I won't be eligible for income support whilst claiming student finance.

    If you're already on income support, you just need to put in a change of circumstance.

    Whilst the amount you'll get will be greatly reduced, any amount of income support will entitle you to full housing benefit, prescriptions, free eye tests, dental care, etc.

    Not all your student finance will count as income. There's an element within student finance which is the special support loan (I think - I've just come across this recently. The system is new to me) which is ignored in full for benefit purposes.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Electronic notes or handwritten notes?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.