The Student Room Group

Race Riots: State Of Emergency Declared In Charlotte (USA)

"A state of emergency has been called in Charlotte, North Carolina, as unrest continues over the fatal police shooting of a black man.

During a second night of protests over the death of Keith Lamont Scott a demonstrator was shot in what officials described as a "civilian on civilian" incident.

Four police officers have also been injured in clashes with protesters, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said.

Police said Keith Lamont Scott, 43, was armed and ignored officers' orders when he was gunned down, but the victim's family and a witness said he was holding a book and not a weapon.

The latest unrest started with a peaceful rally that turned violent after several hundred demonstrators, chanting "black lives matter" and "no justice, no peace", marched through downtown Charlotte with brief stops at a black church, police headquarters and a large entertainment venue.

People were also seen looting a convenience store after smashing its windows.

Sixteen officers were injured on the first night of unrest, as police in riot gear clashed with demonstrators who threw stones, set fires and briefly blocked an interstate highway.In the aftermath of the killing on Tuesday, Mr Scott's wife Rakeyia issued a statement describing her family as "devastated" and appealed for calm."

http://news.sky.com/story/protester-dies-after-being-shot-in-north-carolina-10587946

Thoughts?
(edited 7 years ago)
An update as we have the first comments of the police officer in question (giving her version of events through her attorney):

Mr Crutcher is then alleged to have put his hand in his left pocket, to which Ms Shelby commanded: β€œHey, please keep your hands out of your pocket when you’re talking to me. Let’s deal with this car.” Mr Crutcher did not respond, so Ms Shelby ordered him again to take his hand from his pocket, to which Mr Crutcher then put both hands up. Ms Shelby found this β€œstrange”, Mr Wood said.Mr Crutcher is then said to have mumbled β€œsomething unintelligible”, and stared at the police officer, before walking to the edge of the road with his hands still in the air. It is alleged he then put his hands in his pocket again, to which Ms Shelby again ordered him to take his hand from his pocket.

According to Mr Wood, Ms Shelby, who is described as a β€œdrug recognition expert”, at that point believed Mr Crutcher was β€œon something”, possibly PCP.She then radioed colleagues to say she had a subject β€œwho is not following commands”. β€œYou can kind of hear a degree of stress in her voice when she says that,” Mr Wood said.Ms Shelby then pulled her gun out and ordered Mr Crutcher to get on his knees.

According to Mr Wood she was at that point planning to arrest him for being intoxicated in public. Ms Shelby said she ordered Mr Crutcher to stop several times as he walked towards the off side door of his car with his hands up. β€œAs a police officer, you have to wonder why would someone ignore commands at gunpoint to get to a certain location,” Mr Wood said on behalf of Ms Shelby.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/terence-crutcher-shooting-death-killing-what-happened-police-betty-shelby-version-events-defence-a7322196.html

The victim's family allege that that version of events is incorrect, as would be expected.

What I personally find strange is why the suspect wasn't simply tasered instead of fatally shot, is this death another consequence of America's trigger-happy culture?

If so it is a sad event, but in no way excuses or justifies mass riots; attacking police officers; or looting random shops.
(edited 7 years ago)
Race relations will just continue to go down hill.
I don't know how the story constitutes a "race riot". If I'm remembering correctly, their latest outrage is at the death of a black man shot by a black police officer. This is what happens when you have an entire demographic disproportionately uneducated - they're disproportionately stupid: most of them protesting are just climbing aboard the bandwagon.
Original post by Cain Tesfaye
An update as we have the first comments of the police officer in question (giving her version of events through her attorney):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/terence-crutcher-shooting-death-killing-what-happened-police-betty-shelby-version-events-defence-a7322196.html

The victim's family allege that that version of events is incorrect, as would be expected.

What I personally find strange is why the suspect wasn't simply tasered instead of fatally shot, is this death another consequence of America's trigger-happy culture?

It's because standard law-enforcement in the United States do not believe in non-lethal measures. From the time militarization of the police started (following the FBI massacre in the mid 80s), the police on the ground believe they are in a war. They also belive that it is illogical and personally dangerous to be using non-lethal methods when criminals will always employ lethal methods.

Any doubt they might have had was extinguished after the Dallas shootings. They have a mentality now that they are in an actual war, and every day they go out could be their last - and their main intention is to survive. From their point of view (agree with it or not), they won't take any chances in confrontation.
Original post by jake4198
I don't know how the story constitutes a "race riot". If I'm remembering correctly, their latest outrage is at the death of a black man shot by a black police officer. This is what happens when you have an entire demographic disproportionately uneducated - they're disproportionately stupid: most of them protesting are just climbing aboard the bandwagon.

There are riots which have caused the declaration of a state of emergency, and the riots are racially motivated (BLM) - hence I think "race riots" is an accurate description.

I partially agree with you on the point about the masses jumping on the bandwagon - Black Twitter is having a field day.

Original post by Trinculo
It's because standard law-enforcement in the United States do not believe in non-lethal measures. From the time militarization of the police started (following the FBI massacre in the mid 80s), the police on the ground believe they are in a war.

The problem now is that - perhaps because of these war-like tendencies of the US police - many (Black) civilians now think they are the victims of such a war.

Any doubt they might have had was extinguished after the Dallas shootings. They have a mentality now that they are in an actual war, and every day they go out could be their last - and their main intention is to survive. From their point of view (agree with it or not), they won't take any chances in confrontation.

The Dallas shootings didn't take place in a "confrontation", and it is questionable that they need to use lethal force in every such scenario to survive.

The problem now is that - perhaps because of these war-like tendencies of the US police - many (Black) civilians now think they are the victims of such a war.

I don't think that's exactly the case, except from a rhetorical point of view. A great number of Black civilians might feel victimised and racially stereotyped by the police, but that isn't quite the same thing as the police *literally* believing they are in a war. The way black civilians have been toward the police hasn't really changed much in the last 50-60 years - if anything, things are (very slightly) better. They might still feel aggrieved and mistrust. A civilian then looks much like a civilian now.
Contrast that with the police, and not just in the United States. A police officer today is completely unrecognisable from a police officer in the 60s or 70s. A police officer wore no real protective clothing, carried a wooden truncheon and a six-shot medium calibre revolver, a pair of handcuffs and maybe a torch.

There were no SWAT or tactical units, no riot units, no armoured vehicles. Today's officers wear body armour, have advanced communications, carbines, riot gear, usually their own choice of personal weapon, sometimes an additional weapon and use departmentally-authorised ammunition - usually some kind of hollowpoint.

They are for all purposes an armed paramilitary force as a consequence of being confronted with criminals who have continually escalated their own firepower. This isn't uniquely American - the same situation occurred in Mexico, but over a much shorter period of time in the last 10 or so years, with criminals arming themselves very heavily and completely outstripping the police in terms of militarization.

Similarly, here. Until the Tottenham Riots in the 80s, our police had no real riot gear or special riot training. They simply went to these things in their normal uniforms with a helmet and truncheon. The photos of the time show officers using dustbin lids and traffic cones as makeshift shields as no such thing existed for them.

The Dallas shootings didn't take place in a "confrontation", and it is questionable that they need to use lethal force in every such scenario to survive.

Of course it's questionable to us, but from their point of view, what they understand from Dallas is that there are people out there with the sole aim of killing police officers.
Original post by Trinculo
I don't think that's exactly the case, except from a rhetorical point of view. A great number of Black civilians might feel victimised and racially stereotyped by the police, but that isn't quite the same thing as the police *literally* believing they are in a war.

They can't be at war with themselves. Also, I doubt your characterisation of the self-perceptions as: in a war vs victims of racial stereotypes.

Of course it's questionable to us, but from their point of view, what they understand from Dallas is that there are people out there with the sole aim of killing police officers.

The police ultimately, however, exist to provide a public service. If their belief that they are in a war prejudicially affects their ability to provide this public service then perhaps something ought to be done about this.
They can't be at war with themselves. Also, I doubt your characterisation of the self-perceptions as: in a war vs victims of racial stereotypes

The police ultimately, however, exist to provide a public service. If their belief that they are in a war prejudicially affects their ability to provide this public service then perhaps something ought to be done about this.

Easier said than done. The police are an absolutely essential public service - possibly even more so than emergency healthcare. Without a functioning police service, you would have instant anarchy and little choice except martial law.

It's very difficult for the authorities over there to know what to do in the short term. They might believe they're doing all the right things and providing training etc - but these are very long games. In the meantime, what exactly do you do with people who are by and large providing an acceptable service? We hear about the bad incidents a very small number relatively- but what exactly do you do in the short term?
Reply 9
The guy didn't have a book, the police found a hand gun .. surprise ..
Protesting on the streets, sure. Looting local businesses, no.

I think there are many cases when American police shouldn't have used lethal force, but honestly, if you have a gun and don't drop it, it's your own fault. We can't expect police officers to stand in front of a gun without acting.
Original post by Crijjkal
The guy didn't have a book, the police found a hand gun .. surprise ..

in an open carry state .How would you react in an open carry state if a dude in plain clothes started aiming at you? come on man dont be a wasteman
(edited 7 years ago)
[video="youtube;R7yYARGFKbM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yYARGFKbM[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Good

If Not for marches and riots black people in America wouldn't be were they are now. When they followed the law in the early 1900 they were treated as second class citizens despite slavery being abolished. If they didn't march/ riot for their people, theyd be a lot worse of compared today which is still not good enough

Imagine the amount of brothers and sisters who have been killed without the use technology to prove whats going on. Sad

Its not black people fault they want to protest instead of being mowed down like sheep and doing nothing.
There are riots which have caused the declaration of a state of emergency, and the riots are racially motivated (BLM) - hence I think "race riots" is an accurate description.

I partially agree with you on the point about the masses jumping on the bandwagon - Black Twitter is having a field day.

BLM isn't solely made up of black members. Shocking I know. Not saying their actions are justifiable (different debate), but painting it as a race war is at best ignorant.

Quick Reply

Latest