The Student Room Group

Bioinformatics

Hi all.

I have a first class degree in Biomedical science with 5 years experience working in molecular biology - working on knock outs and QC, and now I am working as a tech in a research lab looking at brain disease which also involves some genotyping duties. I am interested in genomics primarily and have also recently become more interested in bioinformatics.

What would be the best route into genomic bioinformatics as a "postgraduate"? I would struggle to get a loan for another degree and cannot go full time education as I am married and need to have an income.

Part time study would probably be my best option but I don't know what type of courses would be best to do. Straightup bioinformatics as a postgrad qualification or should I look into statistics? Should I try to get a PhD in a bioinformatics related subject?Any advise would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
My first thought reading this was a taught masters and part time to suit your circumstances. Maybe look for one with a stats component though I'd be surprised if most don't have one anyway. Maybe consider a PhD later if you're sure this is where you want to go next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending