Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    I am 19 (turning 20 in January) and started Veterinary Nursing in September 2015. At the time of starting I was living at home, then circumstances changed and I have now been living independently for around 6 months.
    As I have already applied for finance for the educational year 16-17 I am still classed as dependent. But when i turn 20 in January, I will have been officially supporting myself financially for 3 years, although this will be 3 years in total and not prior to starting the course, but 3 years prior to re-applying for finance of the education year 17-18.

I am just wondering can I be classed as independent from this, and if not is there any way around my situation, as my parents refuse to aid me with finance?

Thank you, and I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KristinAliciah)
    Hello everyone!
    I am 19 (turning 20 in January) and started Veterinary Nursing in September 2015. At the time of starting I was living at home, then circumstances changed and I have now been living independently for around 6 months.
    As I have already applied for finance for the educational year 16-17 I am still classed as dependent. But when i turn 20 in January, I will have been officially supporting myself financially for 3 years, although this will be 3 years in total and not prior to starting the course, but 3 years prior to re-applying for finance of the education year 17-18.

I am just wondering can I be classed as independent from this, and if not is there any way around my situation, as my parents refuse to aid me with finance?

Thank you, and I
    It needs to be 3 years prior to starting the degree, you're not classed as independent if you're counting the years you've lived in student accommodation unfortunately. I spoke to student finance myself about it and they told me it had to be 3 years living away from home prior to your degree.
    There is a way around it but you basically have to prove you've cut ties with your parents, which may cause a bit of an awkward situation, but besides getting married there isn't really a lot you can do about it - it's how the system isn't done very fairly as not everyone gets help from their parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.