Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Woo I have my own "stupid other drivers" story now.

As you can see from above I'm on my second lesson - so still quite shaky and not very confident. I was on a main bus route and the bus pulled in, so I slowed down to overtake it - as it was right before one of those island things. But as I had been going so slow the guy decided to overtake AS I was overtaking the bus. My instructor got rather angry at him.

ReputationRep:
    Had my 16th hour today

Instructor says I'm pretty near test standard but I feel I have no confidence in my driving skills what so ever! :| I'm the most nervous driver ever, I swear. I can do manoveures (sp) all really well but when I'm in proper busy built areas I die.

ReputationRep:
    I had the worst lesson yesterday, in fact I've had a pretty bad week in terms of driving! I'm making mistakes that I've never made before ever, like bringing the clutch up too quickly when changing gear. I think I'm just panicking as it's less than 3 weeks until my test now...but I'm hoping I don't get worse as I get nearer to it!! :O

ReputationRep:
    Had my fourth lesson today... was really really good! I enjoyed it!

Did some reversing round corners for the first time!!

ReputationRep:
    passed my theory today

49/50 in the first section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenren22)
    Handbrakes can fail, just make sure you dont wear them by pulling up the handbrake without pressing the button.
    Don't you dare think this is true!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markyp23)
    It very true look at the corsa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbellejess)
    I had the worst lesson yesterday, in fact I've had a pretty bad week in terms of driving! I'm making mistakes that I've never made before ever, like bringing the clutch up too quickly when changing gear. I think I'm just panicking as it's less than 3 weeks until my test now...but I'm hoping I don't get worse as I get nearer to it!! :O

jus like me!!..i had a terrible lesson today!!....made unnecessary mistakes ...grrrrr and hill starts are annoying!!!.....and ive got my test in 3 weeks .:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh...those learning days. Now instead of it being 'oo i cant wait til i pass my test!', it's now 'ohh it'll be busy on the M1 today, hmph'

:p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markyp23)
    Id love to hear your opinion. I mean, i was told by my instructor. And it has actually been proved on corsas today that not pressing the button causes wear.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :ditto: I heard the same.

ReputationRep:
    When I'm approaching a junction or roundabout, I change the gear (usually to 2nd) about 2 car lengths away, while slowing.
    However, the car seems to rev loudly and is a bit jumpy as I release the clutch, following the gear change.
    Is this because i'm changing to 2nd before i have slowed down enough, or is there another explanation?
    Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my 24th lesson and while I think my general driving is good, I'm absolutely awful on roundabouts. I find it really hard to judge where there is a gap and when my instructor prompts me to go I'm often too slow and miss the gap.

Anyone got any pointers?

Thanking you in advance. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh4dow6)
    When I'm approaching a junction or roundabout, I change the gear (usually to 2nd) about 2 car lengths away, while slowing.
    However, the car seems to rev loudly and is a bit jumpy as I release the clutch, following the gear change.
    Is this because i'm changing to 2nd before i have slowed down enough, or is there another explanation?
    Many thanks.
    I'm not sure if this is correct but whenever I do that my instructor says it's because I changed down before I slowed down.

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks.
    yeah change down later or break earlier

ReputationRep:
    if your approaching a junction...slow down firmly(so dnt take your time slowing down ...basically slow down progressively) to about 10...then i would change down to 1....cos then i can do my observation and then move of fairly quickly....remember the slower you are the more control you have (my instructor says that all the time)....

.....with roundabouts its difficult to move into the the roundabout thats why you go into gear 1....and my instructor said if you feel its unsafe then don't move off untill you are sure....(personally thats what i would do wait until im sure that i can go safely then go).... but say it out so that the examiner doesn't give you a minor for undue hesitation i think thats what they call it

ReputationRep:
    i havent passed but my dad got me a new car :p:

fiat 500 :love:

ReputationRep:
    Wow

ReputationRep:
    Wowee! Yowza :borat:

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Many thanks.
    The jumpiness will; be from changing when still too fast, you look like your changing in a right place, so slow to 20 by the time you reach that point.

The revving could be you left your foot on the gas when changing.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.