The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2300
Aky786UK
Had my 25th lesson, because I had an awful lesson last time, we did some work on clutch control. Stopped somewhere quiet, practising finding the bite. Ive always found the bite by lifting the clutch slowly and there's like a little feeling in the clutch that says biting point found but when releasing the handbrake, the car would roll back. So my instructor said when finding the bite at the 'feeling' point to lift the clutch a width of a pound coin so the car doesnt move when you release hand brake.

Its helped me alot, just want to get back to general driving. Think we're going to be doing some next lesson aswell. On quieter roads, I did it well, on busier roads, its that fear of stalling. On a hill, I stopped at traffic lights, when it turned to green I was slow to go. Once the handbrakes released and the car's moving by lifting clutch the width of a pound coin, the car cant stall right unless I dont give it much speed?

thanks

:smile:

You'll only stall if you rush (raise the clutch too quickly), you can lift the clutch with no gas at all if you're very gentle with it (though not on hills!). Engine sound tells you when the car needs more gas, if it's stuttering/juddering it wants more gas. Also tells you when it reaches the biting point (dip in noise). Rev counter is your other guide (assuming you have one). Needle goes too low and it stalls. Never really need more than 2000rpm or you're just wasting gas/burning clutch.

Remember on hills, full lock (wheel turned fully) or against obstacles (London pot holes, speed bumps, etc) more gas is required. You should be able to hold the car still on a hill on the clutch, move off using only the clutch and move at a crawling pace using the clutch.
My theory test tomorrow :eek:
Reply 2302
Echolife
My theory test tomorrow :eek:

Dont worry abit it too much, its fairly simple. Just concentrate with the hazard perception and you should be fine.
I couldn't stop stalling today! And my test is in a week! Not a good time to be picking up new bad habits! lol
I had a great lesson today! We did a lot of country driving and nsl dual carriageways. At one point we were on a crazily steep hill in very slow moving traffic (<5mph) and my clutch control was great, a few minutes later I stalled at lights on a flat road :biggrin:
The only thing which threw me slightly was roadabouts on the nsl roads, they were open and could be taken at 30+ mph, and I'm used to slowing down for such things - that would slow down the 70mph draffic coming up behind. I'll get used to them though.
tinkerbellejess
I couldn't stop stalling today! And my test is in a week! Not a good time to be picking up new bad habits! lol

I have never stalled so much since I have passed, it is really strange. The clutch in my car is really sensitive when moving off from first.

You will get the on the day and be completely fine :smile: .
Had a goooooood lessons today :biggrin: Everythings clicking into place, had a few jelly moments :p: Missed 1st gear coming up to a junction, could feel myself speeding up, looked down at the gear stick to see what had happened [ooops] thought '**** I'm speeding up, **** I'm not in gear **** I'm looking at the gear stick and not the road... Braaaaake!' And didn't stall :proud: :rofl: There were some interesting moment with gear changes, mostly changing from 3rd to second or first...kept thinking I was in 4th, so went a bit wonky... But in general everything was good =D Had a few blips with stalling when pulling off, but once I was going, I was good, striahgt up through the gears, no problem =) getting up to speed quick as well =D

:proud::biggrin:

I should be starting TIR soon as well, and when I'm confident with junctions and all over the area I'm in we're going to go for a drive out in the country :biggrin:
I did it :biggrin:

I passed the theory test this afternoon :proud:
Well done :biggrin: Mines on Friday :eek3:
Sephrenia
Well done :biggrin: Mines on Friday :eek3:

Thanks :smile: and good luck to you for Friday, keep calm and you'll be fine :hugs:
Echolife
Thanks :smile: and good luck to you for Friday, keep calm and you'll be fine :hugs:

I also get my Jan exam results on Friday - a very stressful day methinks!
Sephrenia

I also get my Jan exam results on Friday - a very stressful day methinks!

It'll be a double celebration, I can feel it in my bones. :biggrin:
Echolife
It'll be a double celebration, I can feel it in my bones. :biggrin:

I certainly hope so! =D
Reply 2313
hey im wanting to drive and just looking for driving instructors, ive found one on the net that is charging £16 per hour........ gona giv em a call tomorrow. but was wondering if this is a good price? and wat every1 else is paying?

any1 got any other names and numbers to try?
lsmith
hey im wanting to drive and just looking for driving instructors, ive found one on the net that is charging £16 per hour........ gona giv em a call tomorrow. but was wondering if this is a good price? and wat every1 else is paying?

any1 got any other names and numbers to try?

I'm paying £18 an hour. Do you know any mates/family who have been happy with their instructors, personal recommendation is better.
Reply 2315
no not really, cos im studying in sheff and dont know any1 who knows sum1?
Have you tried posting in the Sheffield University Forum? Some current students might be able to help.
Echolife
Have you tried posting in the Sheffield University Forum? Some current students might be able to help.

And you might be more than £16-18 everyone here is about £23/hour ish
Reply 2318
16 quid an hour....out rage!!!! am paying £20 ....an hour grrrrrrrr...........maybe because i live in london...but still...£20 is a lot of money...and ive had up to 30 hours already and gunna have more grrrrr
I'm currently paying £20 an hour (learning in central Birmingham) which isn't too unreasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending