The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2420
my test is drawing nearer and nearer to me ...next week tues....i dunno i feel excited becase its my first time and i prefer to do the test and fail rather than keep on changing the test dates hehehe..

...my 2hour lesson went really quick...we did dual carriageway with a trillion roundabouts(jeezee your coming at 40mph and then theres a roundabout lets pray they don't take that route in my test lol)...i kno after i pass i won't be driving there lolol......im much better on the roundabouts, but i keep on making lil mistakes like when over taking a cyclist i need to look over my right should etc etc....

and what else hmmmm..oh yeah im getting better with bus lanes now lolol i can see the sign post from far so i can know whether i should use the bus lanes etc etc apparantly thats an automatic fail if you don't use the bus lanes....

all in all i think im ready lets just hope my nerves don't take control on that day...
Had my 26th lesson, got me a tad down ATM. Did a left reverse and turn in road, both control wise were ok, just need to work on speed. I dont know why, but my general awareness isnt great, I try hard to concentrate and be aware but its not happening for some reason. Just times when I need to move early to get a past a parked car etc. I dont know how to improve it.....

Today, my instructor asked me to work on my steering and said to make bigger strides when turning corners. I found this weird, this is my 26th lesson and in my previous lessons where ive drove well, he's not made mention of my steering and when Ive had a mixed lesson, he makes a point of it. Sometimes I feel my instructor nitpicks on the 1 mistake i make, e.g. after doing left reverse later on, when moving off, i did an all round check due to doing left reverse and then he made a point of saying you dont have to do all around etc, I was like, yeah just did left reverse so thats probably why I did all round. On the question of steering, would it be better to make small strides in narrow roads and make bigger on bigger roads?

I just feel it going to be a while before I pass, a tad down ATM like I said.

Some tips on anything Ive said would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

:smile:
It's my test today...and I we have the thickest fog here!!! I think god hates me! :frown: I was so busy hoping that it would stay dry for my test that I didn't even think about fog!!
Reply 2423
tinkerbellejess
It's my test today...and I we have the thickest fog here!!! I think god hates me! :frown: I was so busy hoping that it would stay dry for my test that I didn't even think about fog!!

what time is your test hun :hugs:
13.33, but getting picked up at 12 to calm my nerves for an hour! Luckily the fog seems to be clearing a bit now :smile: But I suppose even if it doesn't I can get away with driving slower and can really overdo my observations!
Aky786UK
Had my 26th lesson, got me a tad down ATM. Did a left reverse and turn in road, both control wise were ok, just need to work on speed. I dont know why, but my general awareness isnt great, I try hard to concentrate and be aware but its not happening for some reason. Just times when I need to move early to get a past a parked car etc. I dont know how to improve it.....

Today, my instructor asked me to work on my steering and said to make bigger strides when turning corners. I found this weird, this is my 26th lesson and in my previous lessons where ive drove well, he's not made mention of my steering and when Ive had a mixed lesson, he makes a point of it. Sometimes I feel my instructor nitpicks on the 1 mistake i make, e.g. after doing left reverse later on, when moving off, i did an all round check due to doing left reverse and then he made a point of saying you dont have to do all around etc, I was like, yeah just did left reverse so thats probably why I did all round. On the question of steering, would it be better to make small strides in narrow roads and make bigger on bigger roads?

I just feel it going to be a while before I pass, a tad down ATM like I said.

Some tips on anything Ive said would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

:smile:

Hey Aky786UK,

As you’ve had 26 lessons now, the basic stuff which diverts attention in the earlier lessons should be under control now (or getting there – I still make mistakes with my clutch!). If there are a number areas you feel you’re not up to scratch on, the best thing to do is focus on one each lesson. Trying to correct too much at once will leave you flustered.
For example, moving past a park car, focus on this next lesson. I used to pull too far out and block too much of the other lane. Now I move out in good time (not at the last minute which will result in sharp steering), before moving out I’ll check centre and right mirrors, then I move in as soon as possible after the car by checking centre and left mirrors first. By being aware of the parked car in good time, if you see cars approaching in the other lane, then you can slow down and crawl rather rather than finding yourself too near the car and having to stop.
Also, if you see more parked cars not too far ahead, it’s probably not worth moving back in until after those cars, although move in if you need to give right of way to cars in the other lane. Check your mirrors and stay around 1 door length from the parked cars.
Also, on 4 lane roads or dual carriageways, as you turn into the road, or come off a roundabout, look into the road as you turn in so you can move into the right hand lane right away if you see parked cars near the junction (although go back to the left lane as soon as you possibly can).
Reply 2426
tinkerbellejess
13.33, but getting picked up at 12 to calm my nerves for an hour! Luckily the fog seems to be clearing a bit now :smile: But I suppose even if it doesn't I can get away with driving slower and can really overdo my observations!

yeah dont worry, it woulda well cleared by then :yep: All the best, relax and don't think about the test, just imagine you're driving your nan to the supermarket or something :p:
Lilian
yeah dont worry, it woulda well cleared by then :yep: All the best, relax and don't think about the test, just imagine you're driving your nan to the supermarket or something :p:

Thankyou :smile: I'm just keeping telling myself that it's a normal drive and that the time should fly by as my lessons are usually 2 hours, so 40 mins should be easy. :smile: (Fingers crossed)
Reply 2428
tinkerbellejess
Thankyou :smile: I'm just keeping telling myself that it's a normal drive and that the time should fly by as my lessons are usually 2 hours, so 40 mins should be easy. :smile: (Fingers crossed)

it actually FLIES! I was like " woah we're back at the test centre :s-smilie:?!" that's when she realised I was a crazy I think. :sadnod:
Reply 2429
but after you passed you must of felt relieved...awww i just want that feelin ...jeesee is that so much to ask...:frown:
Reply 2430
jus-mi
but after you passed you must of felt relieved...awww i just want that feelin ...jeesee is that so much to ask...:frown:

:hugs: it will come, promise. I thought I would never pass, let alone first time.:p: Just relax and focus in your test. A lot easier said than done I know.

I will take this opportunity to apologise to you for mocking you a time before, I was in a bad mood and I apologise for taking it out on you.:frown:

All the best to everyone on their tests coming up. May many pass certificates be winging your way.:biggrin: Ever need any support or anything feel free to PM me. Also I am always popping in and out of this thread.:smile:
Reply 2431
lool ...ummm its fine (don't remember tho)......lol
had a lesson this morning, cant remember exactly how many lessons ive had so far but i think its over 20. Anyway, today while i was approaching a junction to do a right turn (it wasnt like i was far away from the junction i was just about to turn the wheel) when the car at the junction, a taxi :mad:, tried to pulled out right in front of me and nearly hit me :s: cue me panicking and after i'd given the taxi driver a few dirty looks :ninja: i did the kangaroo jump when i tried to move off and actually turn right :redface:
Also, later on i got stuck behind a learner (damn learners! :p: lol) who kept stalling the car, first at some traffic lights, then at a roundabout and then crawled round a corner doing a left turn

the lesson wasnt all bad though- i did my best turn in the road to date :proud: :smile:
I PASSED! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I thought I made so many mistakes, but only had 4 minors in the end, despite being ready to give up at one point! :biggrin:
Oh well done :biggrin::biggrin:!!
Congrats :biggrin:
Thanks guys! We'll all get there in the end! :biggrin: Really was not as traumatizing as I thought it would be!
tinkerbellejess
I PASSED! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I thought I made so many mistakes, but only had 4 minors in the end, despite being ready to give up at one point! :biggrin:

Congratulations :top:

Twelve hours from now I hope I will be saying the same thing!
Reply 2438
can anyone give me any tips about manoevures - because i practise loads i feel comfortable and confident just general driving on the roads. but when it comes to manoevures - i'm fine with the 3 point turn, parallel parking i'm not great but i can do it. but bay parking and reversing round the corner - i just cannot get. i don't often know where the turning point is, so i usually just hazard a guess (which often doesn't work) and it sucks. :frown:

any tips, please? :redface:

Echolife
Congratulations :top:

Twelve hours from now I hope I will be saying the same thing!

you've got your test already? you only started recently :eek:
Reply 2439
Vesta
can anyone give me any tips about manoevures - because i practise loads i feel comfortable and confident just general driving on the roads. but when it comes to manoevures - i'm fine with the 3 point turn, parallel parking i'm not great but i can do it. but bay parking and reversing round the corner - i just cannot get. i don't often know where the turning point is, so i usually just hazard a guess (which often doesn't work) and it sucks. :frown:

any tips, please? :redface:

The RRC and bay park are very similar, I've probably said this before. For the bay park my instructor said swing over 45 degrees to the right and get wheels straight then guide in using you wing mirrors as a guide to where the lines are and where you have to be. You set the angle in both manouveres and then just take a guess at how much steering is necesarily and adjust it either way ya get me? Like you hazard one turn will be enough(it usually is) one turn to one and a half in most cars from a 45 degree angle about 1 metre or so from your bay. But if you're wrong then just take away or give back some of the steering as you go and the key is uber slow too. I feel patronising for saying it like that, cus I know you know that and you're not stupid, it's just hard to explain :smile: And as soon as your car is straight, straigthen up your wheels even if you're not in the lines or the bay. If you see you're not in the liens dont wait till you're in the bay go in first all the checks and then go forward and move the car so it's in the lines and then reverse back into it.

Reverse around the corner is very similar, as soon as your back wheel is in line where the pavement starts to curve around then obivously start steering its better to understeer then over steer and as soon as your car swings round(make sure you check all round before this happens obviosuly) straighten up and adjust if necessary(i.e. too far from the kerb or too near the kerb then just move a bit) AS you can see from my descriptions they are definetely similar manouveres because in both you have to manouvere the car round at a certain dependent angle and then straighten up when necessary and adjust steering a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending