Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hehe grats =D

ReputationRep:
    quick question - i know that at a roundabout that has 2 lanes, you stay in the left if you're going left/ahead, and the right lane if you're going right. but what if the roundabout has 3 lanes? is it left lane = turning left, right lane = turning right and centre lane = going straight ahead?

thanks

edit: and how do you deal with unmarked juctions? - panicking, my test is so soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    Hehe grats =D

Thank u

ReputationRep:
    Centre lane is sometimes straight on, sometimes straighton+right etc, you just need to keep an eye out for the road markings

ReputationRep:
    Oh well done!

ReputationRep:
    thanks jhawkins

ReputationRep:
    Well done jus-mi, can't wait till I pass.

I want to pass by June, so far I've had 3 lessons and he says I'm doing really well, and sometimes he doesn't even have to prompt me. Do you think I'll be ready to take my practical anytime soon? lol I know it's probably wishful thinking, but I am getting a lot of praise, and I can't wait to get on the road officially. Last week I drove in public for the first time and practiced my manouvers (2 for the first time), this week I'm going on the actual busy main roads now. Am I going at a good pace? I sound very impatient, but I'm just set on passing by June, doesn't matter if I don't, just wanted any opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    Well done jus-mi, can't wait till I pass.

I want to pass by June, so far I've had 3 lessons and he says I'm doing really well, and sometimes he doesn't even have to prompt me. Do you think I'll be ready to take my practical anytime soon? lol I know it's probably wishful thinking, but I am getting a lot of praise, and I can't wait to get on the road officially. Last week I drove in public for the first time and practiced my manouvers (2 for the first time), this week I'm going on the actual busy main roads now. Am I going at a good pace? I sound very impatient, but I'm just set on passing by June, doesn't matter if I don't, just wanted any opinions.
    I think it's really hard to tell as you really have only just started. Ask your instructor when he thinks you should put in for your test maybe after about 10 lessons or so?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Its difficult to say anything without seeing your driving - which roads you've been on, things like that. It takes time to learn to drive. I passed mine after about 5 months.

It depends on how many lessons you have a week too, and whether or not your able to get extra practice in your own car.

ReputationRep:
    i tried to do the same RRC as i did yesterday (i managed it yesterday )

today: big fail. !

i turned too late, because i'm still hazy as to where the turning point is, and as a result i swung out too wide and took up half the road. then it was too tight to manuever back in :sad: i also don't know when to start straightening up! i usually go by the right side mirror but i dont know if this good or not.

i'm terrified. test in under two weeks and i can barely RRC. don't even get me started on bay parking!! :mad: ah well. at least i can do the other two fairly decently :p:

ReputationRep:
    I took 2 1-hour lessons at first, last week was 2 hours. I'm going on one lesson a week, and since last week, they'll be 2 hour lessons. I think I'm quite a confident driver, I don't know, I've picked up on things almost instantly without having any experience. But yeah, s'pose it's too soon to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesta)
    i tried to do the same RRC as i did yesterday (i managed it yesterday )

today: big fail. !

i turned too late, because i'm still hazy as to where the turning point is, and as a result i swung out too wide and took up half the road. then it was too tight to manuever back in :sad: i also don't know when to start straightening up! i usually go by the right side mirror but i dont know if this good or not.

i'm terrified. test in under two weeks and i can barely RRC. don't even get me started on bay parking!! :mad: ah well. at least i can do the other two fairly decently :p:
    RRC: I was taught to do all around observations (right to left) then start moving backwards slowly until the curve moved behind the back left pillar, this is my turning point. I then move the wheel to the left and follow the curve around, using the left mirror (keeping the curve in the same place) and checking the back window - correcting my course as I go (if I get too close wheel to the right/too far from the curve wheel to the left). By following the curve like this, you automatically straighten up when you need to. While doing this manoeuvre keep all around observations and stop if you see any cars coming near you, wait until it's safe, check all around, and carry on. When you are told to do RRC (pull up on left), scan the corner to see if its on a slope (so might not need clutch control but rolling and brake on a decline, or might need gas on an incline etc), the severity of the corner (to give you an idea about how much you'll have to steer etc). Just weigh up the corner before you start, and you'll know what you need to do.

Regarding your previous question at unmarked junctions, as normal, cars on the right get priority. If a car is on the other side of the junction, it's a case of evaluating what they're going to do, and either take it or let them go first (always be careful though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gefmongoose)
    RRC: I was taught to do all around observations (right to left) then start moving backwards slowly until the curve moved behind the back left pillar, this is my turning point. I then move the wheel to the left and follow the curve around, using the left mirror (keeping the curve in the same place) and checking the back window - correcting my course as I go (if I get too close wheel to the right/too far from the curve wheel to the left). By following the curve like this, you automatically straighten up when you need to. While doing this manoeuvre keep all around observations and stop if you see any cars coming near you, wait until it's safe, check all around, and carry on. When you are told to do RRC (pull up on left), scan the corner to see if its on a slope (so might not need clutch control but rolling and brake on a decline, or might need gas on an incline etc), the severity of the corner (to give you an idea about how much you'll have to steer etc). Just weigh up the corner before you start, and you'll know what you need to do.

Regarding your previous question at unmarked junctions, as normal, cars on the right get priority. If a car is on the other side of the junction, it's a case of evaluating what they're going to do, and either take it or let them go first (always be careful though).
    thanks i'll give your method a shot. my problem is not so much straightening up, but just knowing when to turn. so should i have the main bit of curve in the black pillar, or should it be where the curve becomes straight?

as for the unmarked junctions, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did a left reverse today, but the turn of point is hard for me also. I went out too wide once but quickly steered back in. I think my instructor said for some situations, you dont have to find the gas etc, can just use the clutch for speed and move it back.

Did turn in road, the first two turns were fine. We had to go in five, but I panicked abit when I realised cars were waiting and my instructor goes "Dont fall to pieces!" which I thought was a tad harsh, I didnt feel I was falling to pieces, abit more nervous yeah. I dont know if its with other learners but my instructor gets abit vexed in busier roads and if I do something wrong then on quieter roads.

ReputationRep:
    Just joined this thread because my mother has just booked my test today!! So now I need to actually learn how to drive properly

Its different here in Ireland, we can drive unaccompanied on our second provisional license (this always freaks out my English friends, lol), which is what I have. I have the basics but I havent driven for about a year! Have a lesson tomorrow cant wait!

Also where I am we have a six month waiting list for the test so at least I have loads of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saoirse)
    Just joined this thread because my mother has just booked my test today!! So now I need to actually learn how to drive properly

Its different here in Ireland, we can drive unaccompanied on our second provisional license (this always freaks out my English friends, lol), which is what I have. I have the basics but I havent driven for about a year! Have a lesson tomorrow cant wait!

Also where I am we have a six month waiting list for the test so at least I have loads of time.
    6 months wow that's one hell of a wait. Good luck with the lesson.

ReputationRep:
    Learning driving first time was pretty scary, but oh well, experience counts! My 1st paid driving instructer was so mean. He was just like, "Gas, Gas....... Push, Push....." When I was driving on highway first time with the same instructor, OMG! it was super-scary! Anyway, he was like, "hey, there's a cat running around on the road!" I was trying to focus on my practicing and scared to death, but anyway, I was like, "huh, where?" There wasn't a cat or anything, and that's the way he taught. Haha! These days, I listen to my favorite driving music, dance and sing while I drive. Haha!

ReputationRep:
    I the the cat thing might have been for your observation skills and things. My instructor made me drive along a straight bit of road looking practically at the bonnet, and then as far as I could see. I wasn't allowed to look at the actual road. That was scary >.< I knew he was doing mirrors and checking where I was going and stuff, but seeing parked cars about half a second before you get to them :>.<: I can't believe people drive like that....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesta)
    thanks i'll give your method a shot. my problem is not so much straightening up, but just knowing when to turn. so should i have the main bit of curve in the black pillar, or should it be where the curve becomes straight?

as for the unmarked junctions, thanks

The car i'm learning in has a pretty thick back pillar (fiesta climate) so there might be slight differences, but the turning point in for me is when the curve disappears behind the edge of the pillar (reversing back straight).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My instructor told me the point of turn was something to do with the give way markings at the end of the road your going into, but i just use the follow the kerb when the curve appears in the back seat passenger quarter light windows.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.