Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    i would imagine so - depends what you mean by coasting - going round with the clutch fully depressed i would imagine = fail.
    for example there's this one turn into my road, and it's a 40mph road so you have to go down it pretty fast, then turn off suddenly, so i slow down and change into second but i normally never have enough time to lift the clutch all the way up, and if i do then i have to do it too quickly and the car lurches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesta)
    for example there's this one turn into my road, and it's a 40mph road so you have to go down it pretty fast, then turn off suddenly, so i slow down and change into second but i normally never have enough time to lift the clutch all the way up, and if i do then i have to do it too quickly and the car lurches
    Start slowing down earlier? As long as you give enough warning then there shoudln't be a problem. Surely slowing down earlier and indicating earlier so you have enough time to get into second is better than not enough time? Theres a turn a bit like that where I go, and I was told to slow down to practically a walking pace to take the turn, so you have the extra control if something big is coming the other way, or theres a runaway pram going across the road or something :p:

ReputationRep:
    that's true :p: hopefully there isn't a road like that on the test route though :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city_chic)
    Oh right, that sort of makes sense, yeah... although I can't remember a road like that, and it still seems a little unfair that it was a major
    on an empty road, it's not going to do much harm really -- it's just a lack of observation (and on some roads, a pretty serious lack of observation -- went with my friend on the last lesson before her (failed) test, and she did exactly this. missed seven one way street signs and didn't notice the markings at the end of the road, or the sign saying you were now joining two-way traffic). but the potential for that lack of observation to be a problem's there; imagine there are other drivers there, and you're in the left hand lane turning right. there might not be a gap. it might not be safe to emerge if you're turning right -- but it could be safe to emerge if you're turning left (no traffic from the right, just left). so if someone's sat in the left hand lane waiting to turn right, they're preventing people who want to turn left from doing so. and affecting other drivers = serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    When the vehicle is moving and you have your clutch down, it means the engine is disconnected from the transmission so you have no engine breaking power. It is very bad for many reasons mainly due to lack of control.

ahhh thats what it is!! ok thanks....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippaaa)
    on an empty road, it's not going to do much harm really -- it's just a lack of observation (and on some roads, a pretty serious lack of observation -- went with my friend on the last lesson before her (failed) test, and she did exactly this. missed seven one way street signs and didn't notice the markings at the end of the road, or the sign saying you were now joining two-way traffic). but the potential for that lack of observation to be a problem's there; imagine there are other drivers there, and you're in the left hand lane turning right. there might not be a gap. it might not be safe to emerge if you're turning right -- but it could be safe to emerge if you're turning left (no traffic from the right, just left). so if someone's sat in the left hand lane waiting to turn right, they're preventing people who want to turn left from doing so. and affecting other drivers = serious.
    I'm starting to understand now what I did wrong and why it was a major - thanks How I missed that it was a one way road, I really don't know though :\ So basically if it's a one way road and I'm turning right, I go into the right lane. And if I'm turning left I go into the left lane. *MAKES NOTE* It's simple really, grr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gefmongoose)
    If I have to stop, or slow to a near stop (< 2-3mph), then i'll go into first and pull off from that gear. If I slow down, and then find it clear (and I have a good view) i'll keep going around the corner in 2nd.
    If it's a closed junction (you can't really see either way) do you stop entirely at the giveway line (going into 1st gear) and then 'creep and peep' to see if it's safe? Or do you slow down put keep going around the corner at a slow speed?
    If its closed then yeah I'll usually slow down and go around the corner at a slow speed, I've been taught that you only need to stop if there is a giveway line. I'm pretty sure I break to about 10MPH then change down to 2nd, break slightly more to 2MPH then keep going if its safe?

ReputationRep:
    If its a closed junction I stop and creep and peep - especailly since most of the closed junctions around here seem to be coming onto 30 roads...

ReputationRep:
    If it's a closed junction, you should always stop at the line.

ReputationRep:
    What I was taught by my instructor is, at least for the test, to stop and put your handbrake on just to make sure the examiner knows you are completely stationary. Just making sure you do the right thing AND show the examiner you have done the right thing.
    Remember, the test is as much about acting as it is about driving.

ReputationRep:
    Theres no need to put the handbrake on. My instructor tells me that the idea is to minimise time at the junction. With quite a few of the closed junctions around where I am you can get a glimpse of the road through a bush etc, so you could see a bus indicating or a cyclist coming by etc.

ReputationRep:
    I know there is no need to put the handbrake on but it is just a kinda safety measure to ensure that the examiner knows you have come to a complete stop as sometimes they are very fussy about stop junctions

ReputationRep:
    my instrutor used to say if a pause becomes a wait click

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I dont think I'm improving at all at manouvers, my general driving is fine though. Any advice on how to memorise three point turn, reverse around corner, and parallel park? i get confused in reverse gear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    I know there is no need to put the handbrake on but it is just a kinda safety measure to ensure that the examiner knows you have come to a complete stop as sometimes they are very fussy about stop junctions
    you can get a minor for that for undue hesistation...basically your wasting time and other drivers may start beeping and what not. when you get to a closed junction your suppose to slow right down and put it in first then peep and creep by then you can clearly see if the road is clear enough for you to go.

ReputationRep:
    I missed my lesson the other day cos I thought it was an hour later than it actually was, oops. Quitte gutted really as I wasted money. Also I've been with my instructor for over 4 months and only had 12 lessons, feel like I'm never gonna pass!

ReputationRep:
    If you're stopping for over 3 seconds you should secure the car with the handbrake. That does not however mean you should put the handbrake on at junctions. Watch carefully at open junctions, slowing down to 2nd gear or 1st if it's tight and head out if it's clear. At closed junctions slow right down to first gear and creep out.

ReputationRep:
    Just bought a book which explains exactly where you should be positioned under certain situations etc. I hope this will speed up my process of getting back to how I used to be, a good driver.

ReputationRep:
    SO scared about tomorrow. everytime i think about the test i get sooo nervous

question:

if you're doing a RRC, and your back wheel slightly nudges the kerb, but doesn't mount it, what can you do to get out of that situation without failing? obviously if you keep reversing, you'll mount the kerb = fail. are you allowed to drive forward? what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesta)
    SO scared about tomorrow. everytime i think about the test i get sooo nervous

question:

if you're doing a RRC, and your back wheel slightly nudges the kerb, but doesn't mount it, what can you do to get out of that situation without failing? obviously if you keep reversing, you'll mount the kerb = fail. are you allowed to drive forward? what do you do?
    drive forward, correct it, and hopefully it'd just go down as a minor for control/accuracy.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.