Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just had 6th lesson - was ****. 4th and 5th I was making really good progress but I missed a lesson last week and just that one week break put me back almost to square one. Basically just had the driving lesson from hell - all my driving nightmares (short of actually crashing) back to back.

Fresh start next week though determined not to **** up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moogen)
    Just had 6th lesson - was ****. 4th and 5th I was making really good progress but I missed a lesson last week and just that one week break put me back almost to square one. Basically just had the driving lesson from hell - all my driving nightmares (short of actually crashing) back to back.

Fresh start next week though determined not to **** up.
    it happens at times, bad lessons a week before your test is the worest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    no, having no lessons before your test because your instructor thought you didn't want the slot is the worst

ReputationRep:
    I do not like Rush Hour...I have no idea why they call it that :p: Definately do not like driving in it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Yeh, I almost had a crash the night before mine, really shook me up badly, just had to try and put it behind me whilst learning from it.

(Original post by Sephrenia)
    Went out driving yesterday evening - almost ran over a pheasant - didn't quite though!
    :rofl: When I first glanced over this I could've sworn it said peasant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    Yeh, I almost had a crash the night before mine, really shook me up badly, just had to try and put it behind me whilst learning from it.

:rofl: When I first glanced over this I could've sworn it said peasant!
    :rofl: no peasants around here for certain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danm2501)
    32nd lesson and you haven't learnt all the manouveres yet ? Your instructor's really milking you, either that or you're not great. I learnt Parallel park and Turn in road on my 1st lesson. You got a test booked ?
    Im not great. Im a slow learner it seems to driving, hopefully Ill get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Im not great. Im a slow learner it seems to driving, hopefully Ill get there.
    Don't worry, I too was a slow learner. I had almost 30 lessons with an instructor before I saw sense and thought "I'm getting nowhere here" and I changed. New instructor is a lot better and I've got my 1st test coming up in April which I will hopefully pass. If you think your instructor is the problem, don't be afraid to change even if you have had 32 lessons!

ReputationRep:
    woo, i passed yesterday! now i suppose the real learning starts...

ReputationRep:
    Well done 'Grats

ReputationRep:
    eeeeep, just got back from my first alone drive -- SO FUN

ReputationRep:
    Just driven my Fiesta and god it feels so different to clio, it feels so much more solid, but the brakes are terrible despite all the pads being new. I had to stop at some lights quickly and I had to put the pedal right down to the floor .

ReputationRep:
    My test confirmation letter came through today...!!

ReputationRep:
    how long did it take for you lot to get your pink plastic licence? i gave my provisonal to my examinor who will process everythint he said up to 3 weeks max... did anyone ever get theirs a week later after sending it all off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danm2501)
    32nd lesson and you haven't learnt all the manouveres yet ? Your instructor's really milking you, either that or you're not great. I learnt Parallel park and Turn in road on my 1st lesson. You got a test booked ?
    Im not that great so Im learning slow. My instructor always says to me that so and so's in for a test and that he was low on hours because people he was tutoring were passing. Im about to have 32nd lesson and Ive done three manoeveres with one left to do. Im not a confident driver (e.g. had tons of problems with my clutch earlier and had odd bad lessons) so thats probably put me back few lessons further. He hasnt mentioned anything about my test or when I should go for it, he probably doesnt think Im test standard yet.

He's an OK instructor, he gets abit antsy at times in busier roads, if i was to stall on a busier road, he raises his voice abit which in turn makes me more nervous etc and it plays on my mind. I dont really want to change because I pay in blocks and he's OK at times. I feel he's pushed me but I want to be passed by the time I go back to Uni for my third year in Sept.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    even though ive passed i havent been out driving by myself yet..and i passed late feb '08 i think im still lil scared of the big boys (other road users)...lolol

ReputationRep:
    I am finding constantly checking that left mirror a pain when turning left as I find it harder to judge the steering . I manage it but I just find it fiddely.

ReputationRep:
    My test is in 3 weeks and lessons now are a mixture of practice and mocks. Lessons are going ok, but sometimes my instructor seems incredibly harsh in his marking. He has a sheet which marks things out of 5 - he says he never gives 5's, but i should be looking at getting 4s.
    Today I had an early lesson, so it took me a while to wake up. This led to two stalls within the first few minutes of the lesson but after that everything was fine. But because of it, he only gave me 2 for pulling away/parking and control(!). He also never gives me more than 3 for signalling, junctions, roundabouts etc. This seems to be because I don't do things as he would i.e slow down at the distance he would, gear change at the point he would. If there were any issues he'd tell me, so i'm not doing anything wrong, but it seems i'm not doing anything perfect either so i'm still on 'average'. Seems a bit harsh to want perfection from a learner - but I guess it'll make me a better driver when i do pass. The only slight worry is that if I don't get 4's he might say i'm not ready for my test or somesuch thing.
    At least my maneuvers get 4's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Im not that great so Im learning slow. My instructor always says to me that so and so's in for a test and that he was low on hours because people he was tutoring were passing. Im about to have 32nd lesson and Ive done three manoeveres with one left to do. Im not a confident driver (e.g. had tons of problems with my clutch earlier and had odd bad lessons) so thats probably put me back few lessons further. He hasnt mentioned anything about my test or when I should go for it, he probably doesnt think Im test standard yet.

He's an OK instructor, he gets abit antsy at times in busier roads, if i was to stall on a busier road, he raises his voice abit which in turn makes me more nervous etc and it plays on my mind. I dont really want to change because I pay in blocks and he's OK at times. I feel he's pushed me but I want to be passed by the time I go back to Uni for my third year in Sept.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

have you taken your theory yet? i had six months of lessons without taking it, and towards the end my instructor would ask how the theory was coming along. and then when i started relearning again, i told her i'd taken my theory and passed it, and then she mentioned my practical and told me to put in for it. i think that she thought perhaps i was happy just going at a very, very slow (and expensive) pace?

so if you haven't taken it, do, and when you've passed, let your instructor know -- also maybe say the odd thing like, 'i'm thinking of getting insured on my parents' car so i can practise more; d'you think this would help me pass my test a bit quicker?' etc so he knows you're quite keen to do so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippaaa)
    have you taken your theory yet? i had six months of lessons without taking it, and towards the end my instructor would ask how the theory was coming along. and then when i started relearning again, i told her i'd taken my theory and passed it, and then she mentioned my practical and told me to put in for it. i think that she thought perhaps i was happy just going at a very, very slow (and expensive) pace?

so if you haven't taken it, do, and when you've passed, let your instructor know -- also maybe say the odd thing like, 'i'm thinking of getting insured on my parents' car so i can practise more; d'you think this would help me pass my test a bit quicker?' etc so he knows you're quite keen to do so
    Yeah, I took my theory pretty much at the start of taking my lessons. I may ask him at the end of the lesson next and ask how far am I from test standard, see what he says. We've still got one manoevere to do so he'll say, we've got one more left etc but you're getting there.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.