The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2780
http://www.2pass.co.uk/pract.htm

look on the page for "how 2 do these!"

it helped me pass :biggrin:
Just came across this thread...and hoping that reading it may boost my motivation to learn to drive again...

Took two lessons over last summer, but just didn't feel right for me. The lessons went quite well, but I didn't feel "excited" as many of my other friends, so I gave up...but hoping to find that eagerness to learn this summer....only time will tell...
OO I had a great lesson today! I didn't stall once, which is a record for me! lol
I had a good lesson too! Sorted out the issues my instructor thought I had with junctions and roundabouts. It all came down to taking my foot off the gas first to reduce speed, then progressively braking in good time, then around 2 car lengths from the junction either go to 1st or 2nd depending on junction type/roundabout clear to go. This way, if in 1st your reach the line at a crawl.
I used to just brake near the junction and then change, which usually meant a slight stop.
Reply 2784
confidence is soooo key in driving, everyone remember that. Believe in yourself! You can do this! You are a good driver, you will do it right!
Pippaaa
eeeeep, just got back from my first alone drive -- SO FUN :biggrin:

Did you pass?!
city_chic
Did you pass?!

yeah, i passed wednesday :smile:

edit: you sound surprised :p:
Reply 2787
Lilian
confidence is soooo key in driving, everyone remember that. Believe in yourself! You can do this! You are a good driver, you will do it right!

Confidence to an extent. You don't want to be a rash hot-tempered Italian driver like me.

I bumped into a car the other day, while parking luckily there was no damage (phew). That's really my problem- parrell parking. I'm absolute gash, I get my friend to do the steering usually.

I seem to mess up going into huge spaces front on. I'm driving front in on the kerb in future. Make it a bit easier for myself.

My advice for driving is commit to situation i.e roundabouts, you make your decision, back it, and if its wrong you speed up make sure its right.
Reply 2788
diamondgeezer
Confidence to an extent. You don't want to be a rash hot-tempered Italian driver like me.

I bumped into a car the other day, while parking luckily there was no damage (phew). That's really my problem- parrell parking. I'm absolute gash, I get my friend to do the steering usually.

I seem to mess up going into huge spaces front on. I'm driving front in on the kerb in future. Make it a bit easier for myself.

My advice for driving is commit to situation i.e roundabouts, you make your decision, back it, and if its wrong you speed up make sure its right.

italian drivers ftw :five: i'm not a rash hot tempered one though :teeth:
I'm just confident, I know I can drive, I'm cautious but have confidence in myself, if I didn't I'd not get anywhere :p:
Reply 2789
arghh ive forgotten how to bay park!!!....and my mum insists on us going to asda!! on a staurday...which is usually always busy arghh!! im gunna feel embarassed, when other drivers see me try and park lolol
Pippaaa
yeah, i passed wednesday :smile:

edit: you sound surprised :p:

Congrats :biggrin:

Haha, no, not surprised, just hadn't seen you'd posted that you'd passed and I was hoping you had! :p:
jus-mi
arghh ive forgotten how to bay park!!!....and my mum insists on us going to asda!! on a staurday...which is usually always busy arghh!! im gunna feel embarassed, when other drivers see me try and park lolol

haha same, on my test i didn't have to reverse bay park (luckily -- i'm pretty good at it with the instructor's extra mirrors etc but i wouldn't've wanted to do it after no lessons for a month :s), so i haven't done one in like, five weeks. so since i've passed i've been practising a few times at tesco in the wee hours of the morning :p:
city_chic
Congrats :biggrin:

Haha, no, not surprised, just hadn't seen you'd posted that you'd passed and I was hoping you had! :p:

aww thank you! your test's soon isn't it? good luck! :smile:
Pippaaa
aww thank you! your test's soon isn't it? good luck! :smile:

Yep, on Monday! eeeeeeek.

Thanks! :smile:
I just wanted to say hi, and put myself on the learner thread. It's sort of my project for the holiday. Well, aside from work and revision, 'cause I can't be arsed with those. I am having parking issues. Also, I have an utter inability to reverse and turn.

This could be a problem... :s-smilie:
Welcome to the thread Hannabe :smile:.

I was having a fantastic lesson today, until around 5 minutes from the end! There were road works (no lights or sign, even though it narrowed the road into one lane) right on a junction with lights. I had to wait until the lane was clear, I went and entered the junction just as the lights changed. I intended to turn right, but I noticed a large lorry looking like it was going to take the crossing even though it had been amber for a while. As I'd started to turn, this threw me, so I went straight on.
I should have stopped in the junction and took the turn when it was clear.
I've not done anything so crappy since i started learning! Not really sure why I messed it up so bad.
That'll be a lesson I'll remember from now on :tongue:
gefmongoose
That'll be a lesson I'll remember from now on :tongue:

That's just part of the whole driving experience, inevitably you will mess up at one time or another (although hopefully not in a way that endangers you or someone else), the main thing is that you learn from your mistakes, and keep those lessons with you
Alex L
That's just part of the whole driving experience, inevitably you will mess up at one time or another (although hopefully not in a way that endangers you or someone else), the main thing is that you learn from your mistakes, and keep those lessons with you

I didn't get to the point of endangering anyone, but I think I flustered my instructor! :eek: :biggrin:
gefmongoose
I didn't get to the point of endangering anyone, but I think I flustered my instructor! :eek: :biggrin:

I shouldn't worry about that, they're paid to be put in situations like that :p:
Hi *shuffles in*
I've got my first driving lessons tomorrow, and I'm terrified. I've been putting it off for forever (I was 18 back in november..so nearly a year and half) but i finally decided enoujgh was enough..but now I'm starting to regret it.

I was just wondering if people could let me know what sort of stuff i'll probably do in my first lesson (or first few)...and perhoas just try to allay my fears - which weren't helped by my best mate absolutely hating the experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending