The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had some lessons with my parents, was always fine with my mum, always ended up in a shouting match with my dad, but to be fair, he did teach me a lot of good stuff, in many ways he was better than my actual instructor
jus-mi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well to be honest i started learning around septemeber too and my instructors cancelled my test date on 3 seperate occasions,...so it may seem like his taking the piss but trust me when your ready to do the test he will let you know....and guess wat every1 i leanrt how to put petrol in my car wahooo....and it only costed me about £20, kool init...
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jus-mi)
well to be honest i started learning around septemeber too and my instructors cancelled my test date on 3 seperate occasions,...so it may seem like his taking the piss but trust me when your ready to do the test he will let you know....and guess wat every1 i leanrt how to put petrol in my car wahooo....and it only costed me about £20, kool init...
If you have your own car you could have took them in that
Spinal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My instructor told me to book my test yesterday but didn't give me his ADI number or tell me the test route he wants me to do (although, I know 90% which one I prefer out of the 3 closest to me)...I can't wait to finally take my test...
gefmongoose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My test is getting quite close now and I have a few questions regarind some of the comments my instructor makes. Are these all true?:

He says on any maneuver, if you see a car approaching in either lane, to stop and secure the car (this makes sence), if the car stops for you then carry on. But if that car suddenly moves and you don't stop immediately you get a major (sometimes such drivers who stop simply mount the pavement to go around in turn in the road etc and do it with no warning!)

Stalling will most likely get you a major - last lesson I was in a minor road going onto a DC, I stalled but started the car again within seconds and took the turn. To this he said you might have just got away with a minor there, although it could have been a fail. He actually gave me a 2/5 for that stall in areas like pulling away and stopping.

Not using an open buslane even if its short and you'd have to move back out of it within 30ish metres to carry on will get you a major for not using the appropriate lane. AN example being a bus lane opened near a junction, and my instructor told me to make use of the lane, even though it was a left only turn at the junction and I needed to go straight ahead.

I'm not too worried about the test atm, and feel I'll only fail if I become really nervous and make stupid mistakes.
Is he exaggerating how easy it is to get a major? I drive very well, and although he is critical, he often finds it difficult to fault my driving, so he tells me mistakes then says he's being incredibly picky to say such things are mistakes. I don't mind this as it helps me polish my driving that extra bit more (which is why he does it - I told him it was ok).
Jhawkins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
MY driving instructor told me that if you stall on your test it doesn't matter; it's how you deal with it. Yeh, you might get a minor for it, but if you panic then you'll get a major. If that makes sense..?
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My test is the 19th May. And the lesson just before my test will be my 20th. So I highly doubt I'll pass lol
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gefmongoose)
He says on any maneuver, if you see a car approaching in either lane, to stop and secure the car (this makes sence), if the car stops for you then carry on. But if that car suddenly moves and you don't stop immediately you get a major (sometimes such drivers who stop simply mount the pavement to go around in turn in the road etc and do it with no warning!)
It's alright to continue moving for a bit as long as you make it clear that you've seen them, but its best to stop when they get close enough to matter. Just don't go stopping when you see a car at the end of the road.

Stalling will most likely get you a major - last lesson I was in a minor road going onto a DC, I stalled but started the car again within seconds and took the turn. To this he said you might have just got away with a minor there, although it could have been a fail. He actually gave me a 2/5 for that stall in areas like pulling away and stopping.
It would be a minor, provided you reacted correctly (foot brake, handbrake, out of gear, restart the engine, then do all the checks before moving off again).

Not using an open buslane even if its short and you'd have to move back out of it within 30ish metres to carry on will get you a major for not using the appropriate lane. AN example being a bus lane opened near a junction, and my instructor told me to make use of the lane, even though it was a left only turn at the junction and I needed to go straight ahead.
I doubt that would get you a minor, because by using the other lane you would be using some degree of forethought, and would impede the general flow of traffic much less than swapping lanes twice in a short section of road. Although if you don't get told what direction you're heading in, it may be best to move across to the left lane until instructed to do otherwise.

Good luck with your test
Sephrenia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alex L)
It would be a minor, provided you reacted correctly (foot brake, handbrake, out of gear, restart the engine, then do all the checks before moving off again).
I was told you don't need to stop completely if you stall or whatever, as long as you're safe. I can think of occasions when I've stalled that it would be more dangerous for me to stop, handbrake etc than to simply put the car into first, keep my foot on the clutch and restart. Even if you stall and you're stopped/stopping you dont *have* to put on the handbrake (going downhill - you dont need to handbrake to start off, or on the flat) Going uphill and stalling handbrake, yes, else you're gonna roll back into someone, and possibly the flat. But downhill, you don't need it!
Millie B
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just had my 18th lesson, done all three manoeuvers, done up to 70mph. 5th gear to 2nd gear as approaching an island. Also did right turn in box junction.
I love country lanes on my 4th lesson I went along loads, did around 50-60mph when I could, but it made 30mph really boring after that so I wish I did that in later lessons.
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got up to 70mph today

Lesson number 15 next week!
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jhawkins)
I got up to 70mph today

Hehe my problem wast getting up to high speeds it was remembering not to
Beckieee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my 5th lesson yesturday i went up to 4th gear and got to drive back to college by myself i was so proud, only bad thing i did was stall at a junction twice for brigning the clutch up quickly, with a maaaaaassive queue behind me lol
Lesson 6 on friday
upturnedpalms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've stalled at a junction. There wasn't a queue at first, but there was by the time I got going
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In all the years of driving I never been upto 70mph, its what happens in the city, in fact the fastest road I could ever do on a test is 50mph, and the chances of that are slim.
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
In all the years of driving I never been upto 70mph, its what happens in the city, in fact the fastest road I could ever do on a test is 50mph, and the chances of that are slim.
i have to go down a 60mph road to get anywhere from my estate was strange driving down it on my 1st lesson.
Beckieee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hannabee)
I've stalled at a junction. There wasn't a queue at first, but there was by the time I got going
I had this woman behind me peeping her horn ahaha :rolleyes:
abrelosojos
Report 10 years ago
I've had three two hour lessons and so far it's been ok. I'm not great and I get a bit panicky when things go wrong, but it's good fun and I got up into third gear last lesson which was cool.
mackemforever
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jhawkins)
I got up to 70mph today

*KILLJOY WARNING*

hang on, how did you do that legally?
Poor instructing there, he should have stopped you at 60 as there are no roads where a learner can legally do 70 :P
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What about dual carriageways?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (49)
29.34%
No - I got the required grades (97)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (21)
12.57%

Watched Threads