The Learner driver progression thread Watch

AntiLearner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Had an awful lesson today, suppose I had a feeling it would go bad after I stalled at a junction. We just focused on doing roundabouts and it wasnt great. My decisions to go, my lane positioning. My instructor was there prompting me when to go etc, in the quieter r'abts, I seem to be OK, when busier, abit of nerves kick in. It was my 34th lesson and Im abit peeved that we're doing r'abts at this late stage but this might be because I had alot of problems with pedals earlier on, then doing manueveres.

My pedals were a problem today, my instructor said I need to release my clutch more quicker and he's right but its that old fear of stalling at a busy roundabout that nags away at me. Towards the end of the lesson, I just didnt care. Im so down because in the build up to a lesson I think in my mind that I will be a good driver, just when it comes to the execution of a lesson, I just dont tend to do that on a consistent basis.

I was even looking at possible first cars, maybe I cursed myself or something.

Uff.....
I do that too with the clutch, I fear that I'm going to stall. When I move off in first, I get the clutch to the biting point, and I dont release it, just push down and change to 2nd. only today have started releasing it fully when it's ready, it's weird though, it makes me go too slowly.
gefmongoose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MathematicalMind)
b) if you're driving on an A road and there is a lorry in front of you, do you have to overtake it?
From what I've been taught, overtake it if it is driving under the speed limit and holding you up. I'm not sure how true it is, but my instructor has said failing to overtake when necessary is hesitation and could possibly turn into a serious (As you will also be holding up cars behind you who would have to over take you and the lorry).
If you do decide to overtake it, then stay well back so you can see around it and ahead and when safe to overtake, don't speed up to get past it, simply stick to the speed limit and the go back into the left hand lane when safe to do so.
Cherry Kisses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MathematicalMind)
hey guys, i've got a couple of questions about the driving test

a) what happens if you fail to answer one of the 'show me, tell me' questions coorectly? when are they asked? (beginning, middle, end of test)

thanks if anyone can help
You'l get a minor. Any they are asked at the beginning of the test in the test centre car park before you set off.

Well thats what my instructor says
gefmongoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
well tbh, if he is strict then it will make you work harder to cut out the small errors in your driving.
It doe's help a lot, but sometimes I'm a bit dubious of his decisions. For example, on todays lesson these things happened:

I was going up a narrow road and a learner was doing a turn in the road. I was going to wait, but was then told i'm being too hesitant, and I could crawl past him, so should go.

I was going up another road and a learner was once again doing a turn in the road, behind him another learner was waiting. I was told if I waited too I'd get a hesitancy, so had to overtake them in the otherlane and hope nothing came (it was right by a junction).

I was driving down a DC and 2 guys ran across the road, 1 went all the way, so I started to take a bit of speed off incase the other carried on. He stopped so I picked my speed back up. I was told I was too hesitant again. I should have carried on at the same speed as the 2nd guy might have looked behind me, saw it was clear and so waited.

Finally there was a roundabout in a box junction, but people were ignoring the box entirely and lining up at all entrances and blocking the roadabout. An opening appeared so I went (turning right) looking left a car was coming at speed an entrance I was going to pass, so I took a tiny bit of speed off to make sure they wern't going to smash into my side, I saw them slow so I picked up speed again. Once again I was told I was hesitant. He said I had got right of way so regardless if they were going to drive on the roundabout (like every other car had) and smash me up, I should have kept going!

For the above I picked up a serious for hesitancy and planning! Everyone I asked would have done the same or at least took a bit of speed off - and it seemed the right thing to do at the time. These kinds of comments from my instructor confuse me slightly.
hmjessop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just booked my test today Beginning of June was the earliest they had tho, so I have it right in the middle of exams!
diamondlad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Does anyone have any advice for me by any chance?
I first started learning in a petrol car with a rubbish instructor...and i could never really get the hang of driving all too well (although now i blame the instructor i had)..I swapped to my friends one and its a diesel car...now im much more confident driving in it...and im worried that coming to buy a car, if i have petrol, i won't be any good
Im not close to passing yet but its always sticking in my mind..would i be better just buying a diesel?
ellfaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just passed my Theory Test today

Multiple Choice - 50/50
Hazard Perception - 54/75
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well done
mackemforever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, your instructor sounds way too strict.

(Original post by gefmongoose)
It doe's help a lot, but sometimes I'm a bit dubious of his decisions. For example, on todays lesson these things happened:

I was going up a narrow road and a learner was doing a turn in the road. I was going to wait, but was then told i'm being too hesitant, and I could crawl past him, so should go.
The same thing happened to me on my test, I could have just about got past but I waited for them to finish the turn in the road and didn't get a fault for it.

I was going up another road and a learner was once again doing a turn in the road, behind him another learner was waiting. I was told if I waited too I'd get a hesitancy, so had to overtake them in the otherlane and hope nothing came (it was right by a junction).
I was always taught by my instructor that it is better to wait for a car to move out your way than do anything that relys on luck or hope, so I would personally have waited rather than overtaking.

I was driving down a DC and 2 guys ran across the road, 1 went all the way, so I started to take a bit of speed off incase the other carried on. He stopped so I picked my speed back up. I was told I was too hesitant again. I should have carried on at the same speed as the 2nd guy might have looked behind me, saw it was clear and so waited.
Again, you were not in the wrong or atleast not so far in the wrong that you would have been penalised in the test. As long as there was nothing close behind you and you check your rear view mirror before slowing down then it is fine. Tbh I think that in that situation the safe thing to do is slow down a bit to give yourself more time to react if the person does decide to try and cross.

Finally there was a roundabout in a box junction, but people were ignoring the box entirely and lining up at all entrances and blocking the roadabout. An opening appeared so I went (turning right) looking left a car was coming at speed an entrance I was going to pass, so I took a tiny bit of speed off to make sure they wern't going to smash into my side, I saw them slow so I picked up speed again. Once again I was told I was hesitant. He said I had got right of way so regardless if they were going to drive on the roundabout (like every other car had) and smash me up, I should have kept going!
Again, what you did was not dangerous and did not affect anybody else, an examiner would not penalise you for slowing down for your own safety as long as it does not affect other vehicles e.g. a car behind being made to slow down due to your actions

For the above I picked up a serious for hesitancy and planning! Everyone I asked would have done the same or at least took a bit of speed off - and it seemed the right thing to do at the time. These kinds of comments from my instructor confuse me slightly.
It really sounds like your instructor is way too strict, from what you described there you did not do anything wrong, the only thing you need to make sure of when reducing your speed for safety or due to a changing situation is that you check behind you to ensure that there is nothing behind you that will be affected greatly by your change in speed.
gefmongoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
Ok, your instructor sounds way too strict.

It really sounds like your instructor is way too strict, from what you described there you did not do anything wrong, the only thing you need to make sure of when reducing your speed for safety or due to a changing situation is that you check behind you to ensure that there is nothing behind you that will be affected greatly by your change in speed.
It's good to hear others say this. I used to argue with him on my lessons about some of his comments but recently have given up as it's a no-win situation. I just agree with him now and carry on with the lesson.
I can tell when I am being hesitant - and will freely admit it, but as I get more experience on the road, waiting or reducing speed at the situations in my last post don't feel like hesitency to me. Also, when I reduce my speed I always look in my rear mirror (generally whenever I take my foot off the gas i'll take a look to see whats behind me/how close).
Hopefully I've only got another week of lessons left now
izzbop
Report 10 years ago
my instructor is pretty strict like that too, he's jus tryin to make you prepared and the examiner may not be as pernickety over such hesitations, it just depends.
i've had 23 lessons i think, and my instructor finally said those magical words "would you like to book your test next week?" i was like yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! should be some time in the next couple of weeks!
a word of encouragement to all the slow learners like me, all your practice will pay off and you will get there sooner than you think
Beckieee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lesson 9 went well did hill starts, roundabouts again and 3 point turns again. My instructor says i should pass by summer
Peach-On-Ice
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had a drive-tastic day today! Had some driving workshop at school and I got to drive a Toyota 2L, was fun and quite a smooth ride. Then had a lesson which went well too! Driving feels a bit more natural now which is good.
Sephrenia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Went for a drive, lost an L plate, confidence went to 0, pulled off into a little side road, ended up doing a TiR reversing up a bloody steep hill - that was not nice! Gave the car back to mum to drive home, saw the L Plate on a roundabout, so found somewhere nearby to turn around to go get it :p: Then went for a drive - I didn't speed, or put the indicators on accidentally, although i did get one of those 'SLOW DOWN' signs flash at me :p:
beckaboos.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ive got my first lesson booked for the 12th of may. so excited
MathematicalMind
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys, test is soon now and I have a couple more questions!

a)How long does the whole test last?
b)How long roughly does the eyesight test/question part last?
c)How long are you allowed to take for a manouvere?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have some more questions to ask later
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The test is usualy around 40 minutes, not sure about the eye test part but it should only take seconds, the tell me bit is about 5 mins I think.

You can take as long as you want for the maneuver, but if you hesitate i.e don't move when its safe to do you can fail.
tricks
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
but if you hesitate i.e don't move when its safe to do you can fail.
I thought it was only a minor for hesitation :confused:
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tricks)
I thought it was only a minor for hesitation :confused:
You can fail if you impede the progress of other vehicles. E.g you hesitate during a reverse round a corner, some guy can't get past it is a fail.
gefmongoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
You can fail if you impede the progress of other vehicles. E.g you hesitate during a reverse round a corner, some guy can't get past it is a fail.

Just to get clarification on this, I've been taught that when doing a maneuver and another car approaches, I'm to stop until they either go past, or it becomes apparent they are stopping and waiting. Would this stopping and waiting be construed as hesitation? I usually carry on after they've gone past (do full obs) or they wait. If they wait I also keep an eye on them because if they move I've been told i should stop else I'd get a serious. On my last mock I got a minor because a waiting car edged forward slightly (no idea how I could have avoided that!)

I think someone also mentioned in the failure thread that they were failed for taking too long on their RRC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.41%
No (376)
72.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise