The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Libbelle
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Good luck to you too, i just dont wanna rush it and end up taking and failing my practical many times, i 'd rather go at a slower pace if need be even if it means i may pay more and i want a more friendly instructor too.
sauce
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
:ditto: but I'm gunna have at least 4 months before my test from now so 16 more lessosn anyway(waiting lists etc :p:)
nnkuk
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Tomorrow is my 19th lesson and to be honest my driving has improved so much in the last 3 lessons its almost unreal, when you get 1-2 big things sorted it all seems to click, just the odd bad gear change, I think I need to be slower when going into third. But alas, 10 more and I am done!
Spannerism
Report 11 years ago
I had my 11th and 12th hours of lessons yesterday. Did the left hand reverse and some city driving. Dunno how much more I have to do in the syllabus now.
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think i'm around the 10 hour mark..

I've been getting clutch control and the turn in the road and reverse around a corner sussed, but i haven't actually done that much driving on the roads, i do a 40 and 30 roads from my house to where we practice and another 40 road and roundabout to get to this industrial estate but thats about all.
Sammi22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
50-odd lessons and test tomorrow. I'm scared.

Quick question, hope someone can answer it... Will you get marked down for signalling when there's nobody around to signal to? I was driving around a quiet housing estate today doing lots of turns and my instructor kept reminding me that there's noone to signal to. I feel more comfortable signalling for everything, no matter who is around, just in case.

Also, when overtaking on a dual carriageway, signal to overtake, but do you (should you?) signal to come back into the left lane after overtaking? A couple of time I've been reminded I don't have to signal to come back in, but again I feel more comfortable doing it anyway.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think you should get marked down for it - and if you are it will only be a minor.

I don't think you have to signal to go back in, unless theres someone close behind you. (simple to try not to overtake on your test, unless you have to)

Good luck!
Dollaleigh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i was having lessons but my instructor was crap and never turned up to my lessons. when he did decide to turn up, we'd spent most of the lesson not actually driving while he looked at some pictures of junctions or make me do a whole lesson on right turns. complete waste of money that turned out to be. lmao
J+N+B+J
Report 11 years ago
i can drive well i mean more than well and i want to book the test bt my instructor is saying i want u to get comfortable with paralle park and revers round the corner. i can do fine. damn i really want book my test, i don't know when he ever is gone tell me to book the test. i'm running out of money too. i hope he tells me to book the test. i had loads of lessons, i just don't wanna take anymore lessons cose i can drive without other peoples help.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
start having double lessons, then he'll let you book the test!
Libbelle
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lilian)
:ditto: but I'm gunna have at least 4 months before my test from now so 16 more lessosn anyway(waiting lists etc :p:)
Well still good luck and thanks for your suggestion earlier re trying a lesson with someone else, ive booked one for next week.
rozzy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Book the test. My instructor let me book my test without having taught me how to do the manuveurs yet lol!! He told me it's all relatively easy to learn and should only take a couple lessons for me...
Sammi22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Failed. Now I'm screwed because I can't get another test 'til October.
sauce
;console; I'm sorry.
DiscoPirate
Badges: 9
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sammi22)
Failed. Now I'm screwed because I can't get another test 'til October.
Keep checking.
I failed yesterday, went on the website, the next available dates were at the start of November :eek: I clicked the back button by mistake and lost the reservation so i went back to book another one and by luck there was one for the 11th of September
Sammi22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I'm gonna check every day. I failed quite well though, if that's possible. Serious for undue hesitation and 2 minors for undue hesitation. I was too scared to go at a roundabout because there was big scary lorries on it. I have some kinda lorry phobia.
DiscoPirate
Badges: 9
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sammi22)
Yeah I'm gonna check every day. I failed quite well though, if that's possible. Serious for undue hesitation and 2 minors for undue hesitation. I was too scared to go at a roundabout because there was big scary lorries on it. I have some kinda lorry phobia.
Lorries must be out to get us :mad:

I pulled up to a junction (behind the line) and this big lorry wanted to turn into the junction i was coming out of. I failed because i should have 'anticipated' that the lorry would not have enough room (even though the lorry wasn't even there when i arrived at the junction ) and should have stopped well back.

Was furious because i got 1 serious and 1 minor.

Although i can't exactly say 'Oh the test was easy' (Because i did fail it) I did make loads of little errors like not cancelling my indicators straight away, doing 30 in a 40 zone, and pulling out of a couple of junctions in 2nd gear, i didn't even get a minor for them. So to be honest i may just have had a lenient examiner but it seems that the test isn't as strict as you are led to beleive.
fusen
Report 11 years ago
had 12 hours of lessons so far and then stopped for my A levels, I was trying to tell myself to continue in july/august so I could have passed before I go off to uni in september but I kept putting it off for money reasons...now I don't have enough time before I leave for uni so I'm gonna have to decide if I want to finish off my lessons and take my test either at uni or maybe wait till the christmas break.

my instructor said I was only 4-6 hours away from booking my test too, so if I had gotten my act together a month or two ago I'd be sorted by now :/
Vixen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DiscoPirate)
Lorries must be out to get us :mad:

I pulled up to a junction (behind the line) and this big lorry wanted to turn into the junction i was coming out of. I failed because i should have 'anticipated' that the lorry would not have enough room (even though the lorry wasn't even there when i arrived at the junction ) and should have stopped well back.

Was furious because i got 1 serious and 1 minor.

Although i can't exactly say 'Oh the test was easy' (Because i did fail it) I did make loads of little errors like not cancelling my indicators straight away, doing 30 in a 40 zone, and pulling out of a couple of junctions in 2nd gear, i didn't even get a minor for them. So to be honest i may just have had a lenient examiner but it seems that the test isn't as strict as you are led to beleive.

Sorry to hear you failed but 1 minor is amazing!! Most people get loads. Its a real shame about that serious for the lorry thing...very frustrating! I hope I dont see any lorries on my test. They sound v.awkward.

Good luck for next time. Glad you've got another test so soon
sauce
yeah v hard to judge gaps with lorries, also beware because some of them do full circles!!!!! :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (864)
80.3%
Leave (212)
19.7%

Watched Threads