The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
I do one hour a week ATM, ive got my test on 21st of June.

Also ATM, my instructor works during the week and he was saying last week he was probably going to add me in kinda Thur/Fri evening time. Last week, I texted him at 5.15 to ask when the lesson would be and he rang and asked "Are you OK for a lesson in 15mins?". Luckily I wasnt out or had anything planned and it was OK. But this week if he did the same and I was busy and Ive got a feeling he might say "Well, you've got your test in a months time and you need to get ready blah blah". But would I be right in objecting to a lesson at short notice?

I like before my lessons to kinda think on what I need to do better etc. And last week I didnt have time to do that and my mind was blank, hence an awful lesson I had.

Anyone else have instructors who have two jobs and have to hastily arrange lessons?
Yes. Remember you are the customer in your relationship, your instructor needs to be more organised if he can't plan any more than 15mins in advance. Don't feel pressured into having a lesson if you feel that at that sort of short notice it is going to be a waste of time and money, especially given that your confidence can take quite a knock if you have a bad lesson.
βored
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahh, I have my driving test next thursday and because it's at 8.40am, I have to have the hour before at 7.40am. I'm not exactly a morning person so geting up at about half 6 is going to be difficult, I've been getting up at 3pm most days this week so I'm really worried I'm going to oversleep or be half asleep when I drive or something. Also I just found out, that I might have to drive a different car because the instructors car has to go in for repairs.

Looks like everything is against me. :p:
s+lky
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I did a mock practical test yesturday... needless to say i failed! Two majors! I was very annoyed with myself.. grrrr.. but apparently theres not much to work on so i 'spose thats good I hate reversing round a corner, i was doing perfectly yesturday but i thought i was gonna hit the curb and so i started turning the wheel the other way and i got a minor for that! Very very annoyed with myself! I think i'll alway think i'll hit the curb... lol
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try just doing it a little bit slower, it will allow you to stay closer to the curb with confidence rather than rushing it and panicking. The slower you do something, the more room you have (effectively) to work with, for example if there was a tight gap in front of you between the curb and a car waiting to turn to the right you wouldn't continue at 30mph, but you could probably proceed at 15/20mph. It works the same when doing manoeuvres
zahra_89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Had my 25th hour today and it went soo well. I did millions of roundabouts and they all went pretty much perfectly. So chuffed with myself

Manouveres next week :/
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zahra_89)
Had my 25th hour today and it went soo well. I did millions of roundabouts and they all went pretty much perfectly. So chuffed with myself

Manouveres next week :/
Working out at over 277 roundabouts per second :p:
Du Ba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did bay parking yesterday. I thought it was going to be really hard but I was not too bad.
zahra_89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alex L)
Working out at over 277 roundabouts per second :p:
Lol.. seemed like it
lozzabel493
Report 10 years ago
Yay I passed my theory today! Just the dreaded pratical now Not sure when I'll book it though as I've still got to do the parallell parking manoveure, fun! lol
Adjective
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just had (hopefully) my last lesson... my practical test is tomorrow!

ARGH.
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck ^^
brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
good luck
username156343
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im thinking of getting lessons with BSM (RRP £23.50 per hour). Can anyone vouch for them?
hmjessop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My practical is a week on Monday and I did a mock today and only got 1 minor . That was for speeding. Once. And only slightly. I did all the 'show me, tell me' qs too. First time I've ever lifted up the bonnet of a car
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My first time was 15 minutes before my test lol.
And yeh.. I go a minor for speeding in my real test :ninja:
Peach-On-Ice
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My mum and dad have finally bought a car which I can learn in/drive when I pass. We were needing a new car anyway so I'm sharing it with all my family but thats fine, I'm just happy that I'll be able to get some private practice! Its a 53 plate ford focus, hope it drives well.
Music Is My Boyfriend
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Failed before I'd even left the test centre today.

Oh well, lol.

It was only my first bash at it, hopefully I'll fail further down the road next time
Valjean
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Booked my test!

27th June. :eek:
Method
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adje)
Just had (hopefully) my last lesson... my practical test is tomorrow!

ARGH.
Good luck, just stay calm (if you start to panic you make mistakes) and check ALL mirrors. You know the drill.

Let us know how it goes.
Valjean
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D7SNmTrFg54

I am crying with laughter at this. This is how NOT to act in your test, btw... :rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%

Watched Threads