Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouz)
    oh yeah thats happened to me a few times, i think its cos you start off with the clutch too high and then take it off to quickly. i dunno, im no car expert, but it doesnt happen when i do it slowly.
    simple, theres no gas, you need to put a little gas in to make the car 'purr' before you bring the clutch up

ReputationRep:
    I had my first lesson yesterday and as I've always been very interested in cars and had also driven many times before the first lesson was not of great use as he just went throught everything I knew eg were the wipers are, what the indicator is used for etc lol However I learnt what the mirrors are used for and the correct procedure before moving off etc which was useful. I'm also insured on my car so I shall also be driving outside of lessons which should be good.

ReputationRep:
    Just had my last (proper) lesson today, before my test on Wednesday...9.07am...and I am shi...nervous. :p:

I know everything now and can do everything absolutely fine now. But I can imagine quite a few things fly out of the window when you realise it's an examiner sitting next to you...and no, he won't help you! I guess EXTREME concentration is at the top of the bill...

ReputationRep:
    had two lessons and that's all I've ever driven because my parents won't let me drive thier car until I've learnt to reverse...
    i nearly wet myself when he made me drive at 60mph in my second lesson. too fast for Lucy!

ReputationRep:
    I have my first lesson in an hour, I've never even sat in the drivers seat of a car, so I'm bricking it!!! Anyone got any nice words of encouragement for me? Lol!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    I have my first lesson in an hour, I've never even sat in the drivers seat of a car, so I'm bricking it!!! Anyone got any nice words of encouragement for me? Lol!!
    Just listen to what you're told, try and take it all in (if you haven't done any driving before it'll seem like you're getting vast amounts of information thrown at you), it will make your next lesson so much easier if your instructor doesn't have to keep going over things repeatedly. You probably won't do all that much driving, but when you do, just stay calm and listen to the instructions and it'll be fine. Have fun and let us know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Things are looking up!

Today and last week I did 2 hour lessons around the test routes and whilst I'm still a bit apprehensive about some new areas I do feel a hell of a lot more confident now. Even just going round the roads once makes such a difference I've found. Maneuvers are fine too and my instructor wont over all the show me/tell me stuff today.

My test is 2 weeks on Thursday so I've still got 2 x 2 hour lessons to go plus the hour before the test to just sort out some silly mistakes. Eeek.

ReputationRep:
    22 hours in

Am at that stage where I am fed up of making exagerated "Look Examiner - I am checking my blind spot!" type movements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    Just listen to what you're told, try and take it all in (if you haven't done any driving before it'll seem like you're getting vast amounts of information thrown at you), it will make your next lesson so much easier if your instructor doesn't have to keep going over things repeatedly. You probably won't do all that much driving, but when you do, just stay calm and listen to the instructions and it'll be fine. Have fun and let us know how it goes
    It was amazing!! Instructor was lovely, and I ended up driving around most of my local area (well, the quiet roads anyway). He said I was really good, will make a brilliant driver and that we'd covered far more than he'd anticipated - I got through left and right turns (it was a two hour lesson tho, but still, considering I'd never even been in that side of the car before, lol!) and thinks I'll be doing 3 point turns next lesson. It was a lot less scary than I thought it would be! I only stalled twice (getting used to the break more than anything as it was much much softer than I thought it would be) and hit a curb my first time turning, but other than that, it went really well

Nervous now that I'll have forgotten it all by next Monday for my next lesson!

ReputationRep:
    Got my next 2hour lesson on thursday. I can't afford many more lessons, but my instructor is saying things i'm nearly ready, but i feel i am more or less, maybe a few more weeks. I just want it booked so then the pressure is on therefore i will maybe try harder (if you get what i mean). My instructors really nice though and i don't really want to say anything incase it sounds nasty :/ I just feel like i should give it a go soon so if i fail i get another shot before university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    It was amazing!! Instructor was lovely, and I ended up driving around most of my local area (well, the quiet roads anyway). He said I was really good, will make a brilliant driver and that we'd covered far more than he'd anticipated - I got through left and right turns (it was a two hour lesson tho, but still, considering I'd never even been in that side of the car before, lol!) and thinks I'll be doing 3 point turns next lesson. It was a lot less scary than I thought it would be! I only stalled twice (getting used to the break more than anything as it was much much softer than I thought it would be) and hit a curb my first time turning, but other than that, it went really well

Nervous now that I'll have forgotten it all by next Monday for my next lesson!
    Cool, sounds like it went really well! What car are you learning in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckieee)
    Got my next 2hour lesson on thursday. I can't afford many more lessons, but my instructor is saying things i'm nearly ready, but i feel i am more or less, maybe a few more weeks. I just want it booked so then the pressure is on therefore i will maybe try harder (if you get what i mean). My instructors really nice though and i don't really want to say anything incase it sounds nasty :/ I just feel like i should give it a go soon so if i fail i get another shot before university.
    In which case you need to talk to him/her about it. Bear in mind that you're paying them, it's all very well them trying to get you to a perfect standard before booking your test, just be careful that they aren't just dragging their feet a little bit. Talk to them and you might find out what his/her reservations seem to be, and you can work on sorting them out. Or you could just book it, then tell them the date you need to be ready for :p:

ReputationRep:
    In which case you need to talk to him/her about it. Bear in mind that you're paying them, it's all very well them trying to get you to a perfect standard before booking your test, just be careful that they aren't just dragging their feet a little bit. Talk to them and you might find out what his/her reservations seem to be, and you can work on sorting them out. Or you could just book it, then tell them the date you need to be ready for :p:
    I would just book it, but he's away on holidays for some of August i think and i have to do my test in his car. I think he's just got into routine of a 2 hour lesson a week with me lol i'm just going to have to have a word with him on Thurs i guess, and say it in the nicest possible way. I've only been learning since end of February maybe thats why he feels i'm not ready. The annoying this is after all this i don't even get a car! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Just had a horrendously bad lesson; stalled twice, messed up 2 manouveres, and rolled back like 4 times. Not happy.

Think it is because I have just got my own car and have been driving that loads which feels completely different

ReputationRep:
    I would just book it, but he's away on holidays for some of August i think and i have to do my test in his car. I think he's just got into routine of a 2 hour lesson a week with me lol i'm just going to have to have a word with him on Thurs i guess, and say it in the nicest possible way. I've only been learning since end of February maybe thats why he feels i'm not ready. The annoying this is after all this i don't even get a car! :eek:
    Fair enough ! February is quite a long time back, especially if the waiting times for a test for you are anything like here (6-8 weeks). I think if you feel confident enough to book it then you need to tell him, otherwise he might just carry on the way you're going. Having your test booked helps give you a bit of a kick up the arse too I found, nothing like a bit of pressure to get you concentrating :p:. When are you off to uni then?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough ! February is quite a long time back, especially if the waiting times for a test for you are anything like here (6-8 weeks). I think if you feel confident enough to book it then you need to tell him, otherwise he might just carry on the way you're going. Having your test booked helps give you a bit of a kick up the arse too I found, nothing like a bit of pressure to get you concentrating :p:. When are you off to uni then?
    True, thats what i want really I think it's about that wait here aswell, but apparently it's quite easy to pass here so i don't really know! I'm off on 20th September you?

ReputationRep:
    True, thats what i want really I think it's about that wait here aswell, but apparently it's quite easy to pass here so i don't really know! I'm off on 20th September you?
    Probably around the same (I see you're at Manchester too ), as my course starts early on the 22nd. No easy start for me (I'm assuming freshers is that week)

ReputationRep:
    Probably around the same (I see you're at Manchester too ), as my course starts early on the 22nd. No easy start for me (I'm assuming freshers is that week)
    Manchester
    Freshers starts 22nd, i think... i hope! That's what i've heard

ReputationRep:
    Manchester
    Freshers starts 22nd, i think... i hope! That's what i've heard
    That's pretty **** then, means I've got lectures in the morning with a horrendous hangover . Still, both have to be done :p:. Obviously a lot depends on me getting the grades but, you know...

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty **** then, means I've got lectures in the morning with a horrendous hangover . Still, both have to be done :p:. Obviously a lot depends on me getting the grades but, you know...
    Me too, but my insurance and firm are at Manchester so i think i'll get in :p:

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.