?
Report 10 years ago
my theory is on the 8th! this friday!! ahh
barbie*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is it just me or does anybody think that you should be able to take the manouevers part and the actual driving part of the practical test seperately??
That way if you fail one part you can just retake that part.
So far i have proved that i can do manouevers to test standard and drive to test standard...on two different tests.
Wish i could just combine them! Test waiting times would be alot quicker considering doing the manouevers takes about 8 mins.
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just had my 2nd lesson, which went alright. Getting more used to the steering now, just have to look more carefully, and make sure I steer at the right time. I went into 3rd today, but otherwise similar to last week. Messed up left and right once () and stalled once, but I think I'm improving .
jonnythemoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Gah! Just failed my first practical test. Hey kids, when taking the third exit - don't get too close to the roundabout.

Makes me angry, as I'm generally a good driver (no manoeuvre faults, and only two minors!) - but I make stupid mistakes due to nerves. I've had 42 lessons now, so I'm really feeling guilty about the money it's costing. Plus I want to pass before the end of September, so I can probably get one more test in first.
beckaboos.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
got my 11th lesson in 45 mins
second attempt at theory tomorrow, ah i love this driving lark lol
username156343
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
2nd Lesson on Saturday, hoping to start maneuvres, might spend one more on general driving though.

Will start studying for theory soon too
Du Ba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Passed my theory today. Yassssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssss
Jammy_Stuff
Report 10 years ago
I booked my test yesterday for the 24th of September. Had 2 hours of lessons today (bringing my total to 14 hours) and everything seems to be going well. Just did my last maneuver and have been practicing all the others. Only one I have any trouble with is I have trouble working out how far from the kerb the front of the car is during TITR, so I tend to stop too early. I manage to get it back on the second point each time though.
diamondlad
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kiranxxx)
when is ur test? im gona book mine soon my instructor thinks im ready..i dont feel like that atm. But by the time i get a date for my test i should be readyyy!

You'll be fine just keep practising xx
24th sept, so quite a while. I keep doing silly things still though...even on basic stuff like turning left! so silly
hope you can put in for yours soon too
UltimateJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahhh the RRC is really annoying me. I seem to be able to get it right most of the time, but the trouble is I don't really stick to a set way of doing it. Normally, I just look in the left mirror and back window to gauge where I am in relation to the kerb, I then adjust the steering accordingly in order to make sure I am turning into the side road parrallel and close enough to the kerb.

However, my instructor said to reverse back in a straight line until the corner of the kerb appears half way down the back left window. When it does, turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and go round before straightening up.

I'm not sure which method to use. If I use my way I risk looking in the left mirror to much, but if I use my instructors way surely it won't work with every corner????

Anyone got any advice???

EDIT: Also, should I indicate when pulling off and in if there are no vehicles/pedestrians around?
beckaboos.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Passed my theory today, well chuffed
UltimateJ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by beckaboos.)
Congrats!
Rach L
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have my first lesson on Friday - really excited! My dad's taught me how to start the car and how to steer but I'm not allowed to drive his car, so currently I'm car-less
staticrhubarb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by UltimateJ)
Ahhh the RRC is really annoying me. I seem to be able to get it right most of the time, but the trouble is I don't really stick to a set way of doing it. Normally, I just look in the left mirror and back window to gauge where I am in relation to the kerb, I then adjust the steering accordingly in order to make sure I am turning into the side road parrallel and close enough to the kerb.

However, my instructor said to reverse back in a straight line until the corner of the kerb appears half way down the back left window. When it does, turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and go round before straightening up.

I'm not sure which method to use. If I use my way I risk looking in the left mirror to much, but if I use my instructors way surely it won't work with every corner????

Anyone got any advice???

EDIT: Also, should I indicate when pulling off and in if there are no vehicles/pedestrians around?
I'm finding RRC really hard too - spent almost an entire 2 hour lesson on it and only managed it successfully once! My instructor uses the same method as yours by the sound of it, and I can't think of any examples of it not working on certain corners?

And about indicating...I would do it even if there's noone there just to get into a good habit
username156343
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by staticrhubarb)
I'm finding RRC really hard too - spent almost an entire 2 hour lesson on it and only managed it successfully once! My instructor uses the same method as yours by the sound of it, and I can't think of any examples of it not working on certain corners?

And about indicating...I would do it even if there's noone there just to get into a good habit

My instructor said to only indicate when there are pedestrians/other cars around to show to an examiner that you are checking what is around you. Doing all the time would show that you were just following routine instead of being aware.
Du Ba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by beckaboos.)
Me too
staticrhubarb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rizzletastic)
My instructor said to only indicate when there are pedestrians/other cars around to show to an examiner that you are checking what is around you. Doing all the time would show that you were just following routine instead of being aware.
That seems fair enough...I hadn't really thought about it that way! The subject of indicating when noone's there hasn't come up in any of my lessons so far - there's always been someone there!
becky.fm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm revising for my theory atm :yawn: It's not till the end of the month, but i'm going to be soooo busy for the next few weeks, i might as well do it now!
trickz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey,

Had my first lesson yesterday. Just wondering how are you meant to find the biting point really quickly? It takes me like 10 minutes bringing the clutch up a little at a time and if I try to do it fast then I just end up going over
UltimateJ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trickz)
Hey,

Had my first lesson yesterday. Just wondering how are you meant to find the biting point really quickly? It takes me like 10 minutes bringing the clutch up a little at a time and if I try to do it fast then I just end up going over
You don't need to find the biting point every time you set off. Just have the clutch fully down and slowly bring it up whilst slowly pushing down on the gas at the same speed/rate, but in the opposite direction obviously.

I had a similar problem when I first started, but give it 5-6 lessons and you will have the clutch control sorted :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (625)
80.75%
Leave (149)
19.25%

Watched Threads