The Learner driver progression thread Watch

DiscoPirate
Badges: 9
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sherunsaway)
I think there is a point where it all just starts to click and you become a lot more relaxed about it all. At least that's what I found anyway.
I found that too. :yy:

You'll just get to a stage in your driving where you'll drive without any nerves at all. It's usually in the last 2/3rd's of your lessons.
sauce
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
feels like I forgot some stuff since last lesson not my fault though argh and I booked a lesson when I will be in college which is really annoying.......I text him hopefully he'll text back though!
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've got a driving lesson soon - i'm dreading it, don't know why! My last one went reasonably well.

I'm sure i forgot some of my stuff too - like clutch position during my manovres.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
-Had another lesson since an awful last one, it went better. My main problems last time were bad clutch/pedal control. So he took me to a quiet spot and I practised it more. I got better by the end but still unsure of when I get the bite, is it when the engine noise goes lower and when the car moves up abit (That used to happen with my previous instructors car but it doesnt with the new one). He was talking about getting bite and what happens if it moves forward or backwards or stays still, got abit confused so if anyones got any ideas about that, it'd be help. :-)

-We were driving down a road and I was in 4th gear, we were due to make a left turn. I tried to put it down to second but didnt do it so well as he said my clutch was still down. I seem to have problems when Im in 4th and then have to put it down to second, then brake and turn. Maybe Im not good with doing more than one thing, lol.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Biting point=car moves up a bit... or thats what i look for!

I'm like that with changing gears down, my worst one is 3rd to 2nd! I've been assured it will come with time.
Impossible princess
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm off to my second lessonn at 5:30 I'm dead excited lol! Last week I masterd pulling off and drove myself home, did a junction and a gear change (I dunno wheteher that's good or not haha). I only messed up once when I came to a junction at the bottom of a steep hill in my street, I sorta forgot what to do first and the instructor had to brake for me! I suppose he'll make me do the same today, but without telling me what to do so much?
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you'll be fine - my instructor says don't worry if you forget since he has pedals, and he get sort gears etc out if you get stuck. Just relax, and concentrate!
Pony Jack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Did turn in the road last week, and my instructor said it was an instant fail if you touched the kerb. I swear I remember reading on here it was only if you mounted it?
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No- it is if you touch it - lost control of the car and all... thats what my instructor said too!
Impossible princess
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you'll be fine - my instructor says don't worry if you forget since he has pedals, and he get sort gears etc out if you get stuck. Just relax, and concentrate!
Yeeeah hopefully I'll be able to do it this week if I'm a little more used to it and actually remember what to do/concentrate!
e-lover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey everyone!

Just had my first driving lesson and I can't believe how well it went. I moved off, was able to change gears from 1 to 2 to 3 and back down and turned left and right and I didn't stall once! all in my first lesson!!!

Can't believe how well it went tbh. Hopefully, it will stay this easy for me.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just had my 4th lesson and managed 70 on a dual carriageway! :eek:

I think something just clicked too and now doing things like stopping and moving off from junctions and knowing what gear to be in is coming naturally. We did lots of hill starts and stop and junctions on hills. Went round lots of huge roundabouts too off dual carriageways.
DiscoPirate
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
Just had my 4th lesson and managed 70 on a dual carriageway! :eek:

I think something just clicked too and now doing things like stopping and moving off from junctions and knowing what gear to be in is coming naturally. We did lots of hill starts and stop and junctions on hills. Went round lots of huge roundabouts too off dual carriageways.
ZOMG!!!1

You must be good, if your instructor took you on a dual carriageway so early.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Theres no dual carriageways round me, so i know that won't be happening anytime soon!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lucky! It was busy, so lots of lane changing and overtaking.
DiscoPirate
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
Theres no dual carriageways round me, so i know that won't be happening anytime soon!
Unlucky!

There's NO roundabouts near my test center! Yay!
DiscoPirate
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
Lucky! It was busy, so lots of lane changing and overtaking.
Aww bless!
I loved doing 70 for the first time, Gets your adrenaline going big time!
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes but... i'm continuing my driving lessons at uni and the new campus of my uni is next to a dual carriageway - and a new test centre is due to open nearby! (with lots of big roundabouts nearby!)
rozzy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
Yes but... i'm continuing my driving lessons at uni and the new campus of my uni is next to a dual carriageway - and a new test centre is due to open nearby! (with lots of big roundabouts nearby!)
Thats not a good thing! :laugh: well I woulda thought anyway for the majority of people wanting to do their test...
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know - but at least i'll be a good driver, with experience of them, if i choose to do my test there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.32%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (119)
40.34%

Watched Threads