Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have my first driving lesson in an hour and a half... I'm extremely apprehensive! It's too weird to imagine myself sitting in the driver's seat :p:

ReputationRep:
    still learning to drive im not doing too bad but im getting kinda fed up of learning coz it seems ive been doing it forever lol, hopefully having 2 lessons a week now will mean more progress :teeth: i wanna at least be ready to take my test before i go back to uni

ReputationRep:
    Lesson in an hour!

ReputationRep:
    Driving instructor didn't turn up for my 4th lesson .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insparato)
    Driving instructor didn't turn up for my 4th lesson .

Hmm maybe he got his days crossed?
    Or...is ill!
    I dunno only explanations I can think of.
    Have you tried calling him?

ReputationRep:
    He came Just an hour later than what we planned. Did junctions today wasnt too bad. REMEMBER MSM/PSL!! .

ReputationRep:
    Started lessons after a month without any had instructor's car stuttering to start with.
    Finally started reverse parallel parking and actually finding it easier than reverse round a corner. Anybody else prefer parking?

ReputationRep:
    check Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre

Manoeuvre is broken down into, Position, check Speed and Look.

Assess before acting.

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk...s/msm_psl.html

ReputationRep:
    Ha tis no problem. I don't know it consciously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicforsanity)
    Started lessons after a month without any had instructor's car stuttering to start with.
    Finally started reverse parallel parking and actually finding it easier than reverse round a corner. Anybody else prefer parking?
    i find parallel parking much easier than reverse round a corner :five: i havent done bay parking yet though

reverse round a corner is evil :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I just had my first lesson - after he went through the main points, I drove for about 15 meters or so, practicing starting and stopping. It was so scary!! I'm still a bit confused about how and when to use the clutch, but I hope it'll come with time. I still can't believe the car actually moved under my control - and I was terrified I was going to crash into the parked cars! Next lesson on Wednesday - am really looking forward to it; it's really fun so far (I'll probably be eating my words when I get stuck on something a few lessons on :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    Booked my test :eek3:

EDIT: Good lesson today, Did RRC and Bay Parking, first time were pants for both, but got better after the third attempt or so =]

ReputationRep:
    My first test is a week on friday:eek:
    I started lessons two weeks ago but they are going quite well...i hope

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell thats quick! Why is your test so soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    Bloody hell thats quick! Why is your test so soon?

She said her 'first' test which i assume means her theory

ReputationRep:
    Oh no i mean my practical but ive been doing a semi-intensive course....obviously theres still time to put my test back if neceary but hopefully not :P

ReputationRep:
    Ah, fair enough -good luck with that!

ReputationRep:
    Arghhhhhhh

Today I was doing my reverse round a corner.

Why is it that the car behind just sits there despite all attempts to make it move such as showing brake lights and signalling. Of course I would love to wave it forward by putting my hand out of the window but thats not allowed now is it.

This is what I meant in an earlier post about learning to pass a test rather than drive in the 'real world'.

ReputationRep:
    hi i've had a few lessons now and the way i've been taught to move off is to:
    press the clutch then the foot brake all the way down
    lift the handbrake
    move into first gear
    lift up the clutch pedal slowly until biting point
    release footbrake
    slowly releasing clutch pedal then onto the gas pedal

hoewever looking at books they say that it's the gas pedal you press on instead of the footbrake
    is this right? is my driving instructor not teaching it right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mango11)
    hi i've had a few lessons now and the way i've been taught to move off is to:
    press the clutch then the foot brake all the way down
    lift the handbrake
    move into first gear
    lift up the clutch pedal slowly until biting point
    release footbrake
    slowly releasing clutch pedal then onto the gas pedal

hoewever looking at books they say that it's the gas pedal you press on instead of the footbrake
    is this right? is my driving instructor not teaching it right?
    Presumably, if you're going downhill then the way you described is correct but I haven't done hillstarts so can't comment further really.

However, the way I do it is:
    Clutch all the way down
    Into gear
    Bit of gas
    Clutch up to biting point
    Check mirrors/blindspots
    Release handbrake
    Foot off clutch
    GO!

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.