The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Malinski
Congratulations! What did you get? (If you don't mind me asking :p:)

I got 47/50 and 55/75.

Luckily I went over road signs in the morning just before I went to the test, as quite a few questions regarding road signs came up.
Reply 3661
My instructor said today that he is going to put me in for a test soon. At last I am getting some where.
Reply 3662
I have my theory tomorrow; I've only just been passing [like one mark over] on the practise CDs - and sometimes failing! So I'm nervous. Any last-minute tips?
The Stig
That's strange. As i'm not joking, but my turn in the road manouver and reverse around the corner I do with my instructor I don't even touch the accelerator. It's all done with the clutch. (His car is a 1.0 or 1.2 Corsa C)

However I also drive a KA and find what you've said to be correct as it doesn't go very far at all with just the clutch, let alone doing a whole manouver with it (it has a 1.3 engine)

:confused:

Well there you go - precisely the point I was trying to make.

I myself learnt to drive in a 1.1 Citroen C2 and like you said, all manouevres were done on just the clutch. In fact it could get up to a good 6-7mph without the accelerator. Having passed, I moved to my dad's 1.6 Honda Civic and was really surprised to find that without the gas, even with the finest clutch control, it barely juddered along on the flat, and stalled completely on anything remotely uphill. Which meant I had to completely re-learn how to drive at low speeds in confined spaces such as tight car parks and change my technique.

Like I said, it's all about the idle rate. Next time you get into either of those cars, leave it in neutral once you've started it and have a look at the rev counter. The Ka's will be lower. The Ka has more power, but the Corsa gives you more of its power straight away without you having to press the gas to access it.

Which is why the correct technique is to use the gas. Even if your car can drive itself on just the clutch, pressing the gas as well will not make you go too fast - through clutch control you can take as little of the power as you like. For example, you can press the gas all the way to the floor with the engine screaming at 6,000rpm or whatever. But if you bring in the clutch finely enough, you can still crawl along at 1mph. The difference is that this will work on all cars, whereas using just the clutch will work on only a small number of cars with a very high idle rate.

:smile:
Passed my test this morning! 7 minors :smile:
Valjean
Passed my test this morning! 7 minors :smile:

Grats :smile:
Reply 3666
Got my 21st driving lesson in half an hour! Lol..still haven't done my theory though..im really worried i'll fail it on the hazard perception!
Reply 3667
I started learning in a Mini Cooper that I could drive with just the clutch. I was doing very well until after about 10 lessons when he decided to change to a Suzuki Swift. Now even on flat ground I have to use the gas pedal. The habit of not using the Gas has come to bite me back. So I have had to go back to basics and learn to get into a habit of using the gas.
My instructor is 3 hours late, I think we can safely say that he isnt turning up.
Im annoyed because I had to pay double this week for cancelling on him last and he doesn't even have the heart to turn up tonight!!
I text him at 7 o clock asking what happened, its now the back of 9 and still no reply
Hey guys, this might be a stupid question but was just wondering how long do you have after passing your theory test to pass your practical test?
strawberrysunshine
Hey guys, this might be a stupid question but was just wondering how long do you have after passing your theory test to pass your practical test?

Two years IIRC
Alex L
Two years IIRC

did a perfect reverse round a corner today :bigsmile: it was my worst maneuver but now im a lot better at them :biggrin: my turn in the road and clutch control werent bad either :p:
Passed my thoery this morning :biggrin: 49/50 on multiple choice and 51/75 on hazard perception.

Odd thing is, while I was revising I was passing hazard with nearly fully marks yet couldn't get to grips with multiple choice until last weekend. Even then I was only 88% when pass was 86%.
Just had my 2nd lesson havent done much so far.
1'st lesson yesterday, hour one. went through pulling out, pulling in and aligning alongside the kerb, going round corners, negotiating parked cars and left turns, up to 33 and 3rd gear. Next lesson on sat and theory tomorrow. woo.
that's me missed 3 weeks of driving lessons now as my instructor is starting to become very unreliable.
Passed the theory :smile:
Mattgeezer
Passed the theory :smile:

Well done :biggrin:
Reply 3679
xDestinyx
that's me missed 3 weeks of driving lessons now as my instructor is starting to become very unreliable.

change your instructor perhaps?x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending