Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My instructor has now told me that he's not prepared to let me take the test as planned, which would be on Friday. I should have changed instructor long ago. I feel quite confident in my driving, including the manouevres - I think I would be perfectly placed to take it if we had only started these a little earlier. I just think he's wasted a lot of my time now, and money of course, and I want to have a crack at it without the extra 6 hours or so that he says I need. I've already had almost 30 hours with him, as well as regular but unfocused practice with my parents. I can't take the test in my parents' car because one of the side mirrors is crackedso I don't have that as an option.

really not happy with myself for not hurrying things up a bit. then again, it's not up to me to set the pace. he actually seems like a decent bloke, but I can't help feeling that he's squeezing everything he can out of me because he knew my only real goal was to pass before i leave for uni.

ReputationRep:
    I had my first 5 hours of lessons today. My mum's an ADI, so that's why she's teaching me. It wasn't 5 hours straight though, but by the end of it, i was getting quite tired, so i stopped concentrating fully :p:

We did LHT, RHT, clutch control and all that I even managed to drive home, and pulled up great.

The only problems i'm having are braking and not jerking (i need to not press the brake so hard) and sometimes pulling out at a junction is scary haha

ReputationRep:
    Whoooooooooooooo i had my first driving lesson today, even though it was just up and down roads it was such a adrenaline rush, it was sweet :driver:

ReputationRep:
    Not a great lesson today
    My driving was mostly fine but I had a couple of silly moments of hesitation at roundabouts. I was feeling fine about my test tomorrow but todays lesson has made me so nervous. My mind really wasnt in it at all, I was approaching a roundabout and I clipped the kerb which I have never even come close to doing before. I think I'm putting far too much pressure on myself to pass tomorrow when really I know I need to be calm. Couldnt parallel park either so I'm really scared I'll get that tomorrow and I'll mess it up

ReputationRep:
    I'd like some advice regarding which car to learn in. I've just done my theory test and I'm looking to start lessons in a few weeks. I've been in touch with various local driving schools to get info. The prices are all the same just about with the only difference being which car to learn in. I'm having to decide between a new Renault Clio or a new Suzuki swift. Anyone learnt/learning in one of these?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipswichblade)
    I'm having to decide between a new Renault Clio or a new Suzuki swift. Anyone learnt/learning in one of these?

Thanks.
    I haven't had any lessons in any of these. But both are small, nippy cars and ideal for learning in. I Don't know if you know the engine sizes but I would assume the Clio is slightly more powerful than the swift (which have a reputation for being quite puny power-wise) and therefore faster acceleration and better going up-hill. Then again the Swift may be lighter. I personally would go for the Clio.

ReputationRep:
    Had my eleventh lesson today and did parralel park - it went really well. Just need to stop relying so much on the wing mirror so much when doing it and look back more. I've done all my manouvers now, so now next lesson will be doing test routes

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad lesson today =] Lots of just driving. Figured out the reasons for a few of my problems, so hopefully sorted. 4 lessons till my test :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    I haven't had any lessons in any of these. But both are small, nippy cars and ideal for learning in. I Don't know if you know the engine sizes but I would assume the Clio is slightly more powerful than the swift (which have a reputation for being quite puny power-wise) and therefore faster acceleration and better going up-hill. Then again the Swift may be lighter. I personally would go for the Clio.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Lesson not too bad today, three/four lessons to go til the test. Reverse around a corner fine, but parallel parking still far too tight. Damn.
    Any tips for the parallel parking manoeuvre?

ReputationRep:
    Just had my fourth lesson, and not happy. It didn't go too badly, it just didn't go well at all either. Got lots of practice with junctions, which I now hate. I'm finding the coordination really hard for some reason...it should get better with practice and I should get it eventually, but I have a feeling I'm gonna need loads of lessons. I should be more optimistic, but right now I just feel like crap. I guess it's just really petty, but still.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes i hate having lessons with my mum, ffs. Tbh she's not that great of an instructor, because she doesn't explain what to do when i'm stuck or stall or whatever. And she might say "3rd gear! 3rd gear! 3RD GEAR!" which gets ****ing annoying after a while.

I'm ok with driving, just i don't like roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    Got my test next week and i'm not really nervous about it. But that's only because i'm sure i'm going to fail!

My bay park and RRC are still a bit dodgy and I just make loads of silly mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I've had 3 lessons so far, and I love it

However, after my 2nd lesson, I went out in my Grandad's car, with him, and didn't enjoy it. Does anyone else hate driving with their parents/family members/etc?
    Maybe after a few more lessons, when I've got more confident, I'll give it another go

Also, how long did it take you before you started driving home? Last lesson, my instructor said that on my next lesson I could drive home if wanted, but I'm not sure if thats a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne&Chocolates)
    Hey
    I've had 3 lessons so far, and I love it

However, after my 2nd lesson, I went out in my Grandad's car, with him, and didn't enjoy it. Does anyone else hate driving with their parents/family members/etc?
    Maybe after a few more lessons, when I've got more confident, I'll give it another go

Also, how long did it take you before you started driving home? Last lesson, my instructor said that on my next lesson I could drive home if wanted, but I'm not sure if thats a good idea

I didn't like going out with my dad at first because we would just argue and he would try and teach me his way which i didn't like. It was better after i'd had more lessons though because i could just get on with it my way and i was more confident.

I drove home after my second lesson, got up to 60mph and everything My instructor would have let me after my first lesson but it was dark and i didn't feel confident enough. It's totally up to how you feel

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what you have been doing on your lessons so can compare with what I have done, I have had 4 lessons so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madhattertom)
    Just wondering what you have been doing on your lessons so can compare with what I have done, I have had 4 lessons so far.
    After 4 lessons, i was doing left and right hand turns, crossroads and crossings. You?

ReputationRep:
    As I posted earlier, had 4th lesson today and still driving on an estate practicing turns and junctions. Especially junctions today which didn't go too well. However a friend of mine's had 3 lessons and already been on a main road, past 30, and drove home after her last lesson. To be honest, I think I'm behind average, but I'm not sure.

What have you done after 4 lessons then?

ReputationRep:
    I've had four lessons and I've done starting/stopping, right hand turns, left hand turns, junctions and just started roundabouts. Oh and I've driven home once (I live off a main road and my other lessons have been in rush hour so it wasn't the best plan )

ReputationRep:
    1st - 90% of the lesson was me sitting in the drivers seat with my instructor explaining everything about the car - then drove up and down a road for the last ten, fifteen minutes.

2nd - Left and Right turns.

3rd - Drove for a whole hour.

4th - Three point turn / roundabouts

(going to have my 12th lesson next week)

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.