The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

ketz
I have been talking to different people and it seems alot of the Lessons structures are different. For example, some instructors make sure people have perfect general driving before starting manouvers. Some instructors get stuck into manouvers in their first few lessons. Is this true from peoples experiences?

Yeah because some instructors think that doing manouvers helps with clutch control/observations, whereas i didn't start them until i was really comfortable with normal driving. IMO it doesn't make too much difference.
bob9001
I had a preety bad lesson today!

I was so nervous at the mini roundabout that I couldn't get my leg to keep still! It kept shaking quite badly lol.

Aw - I had that during my first driving test. I was doing a 3-point turn, and my leg was jabbering up and down like I was playing the drums! Not cool...I still managed to do the manoeuvre fine though! :p:
ketz
I have been talking to different people and it seems alot of the Lessons structures are different. For example, some instructors make sure people have perfect general driving before starting manouvers. Some instructors get stuck into manouvers in their first few lessons. Is this true from peoples experiences?

Mine was roughly...

Hill starts - lesson 6 (I know it's not a manoeuvre, but whatever)
3-point turn - lesson 9
RRC - lesson 15
Parallel Park - lesson 25
Bay Park - lesson 30
Emergency stop - lesson before my first test! :eek:
Mine was (all doubles)

Lesson one - rrc, mini roundabouts, general driving
Lesson two - Turn in the road " "
Lesson three - Bay parking " "
Lesson four - Town driving
Lesson five - More town driving and parralell parking
Lesson six - Instructor just went through show me/ tell me question combined with more town driving

had another one hour lesson in there...

next i'm going to do test routes!
Reply 3944
Got my first test at 3:29pm today wooooo.
Reply 3945
Got my test on monday, have done around 17hours with my instructor and I can drive around pretty well, just need to make sure I do all of my observation and I dont make a silly mistake like I did in my mock exam like 35 in a 30 or not checking before turning into a RRC.
Good luck to everyone with tests coming up!

I passed my theory this morning :biggrin: I got 50/50 on the multiple choice but only 44/75 on HP so only just scraped through! Oh well, a pass is a pass!

Had my 5th lesson last night, drove constantly for an hour for the first time. Went quite well, things are slowly coming together!
It's less than four weeks until my test now :yep:
Reply 3948
Passed mine with 13 minors yesterday!
dag
Passed mine with 13 minors yesterday!

Congrats :biggrin:
Reply 3950
I've now done parallel parking, turn in the road and reversing round a corner and I've only had 8 lessons :biggrin:
Reply 3951
eternal_sunshine
cancellations don't always come that quick, they're a lot about luck-sometimes theres loads, sometimes theres not, but yeah, cos you live in N.I. theres no time limit on when you can resit the test. Good luck with your theory-you'll be fine :-) where abouts are you doing your test? I passed mine in larne a few weeks back

Yeah, we usually get them not too bad here as I've quite a few friends who failed first time and passed again quickly through a cancellation! I passed my theory, one mark off full marks :smile: woo! So I'll be booking my test within the next two weeks, agh, I definitely won't pass first time though as no one seems to around here. I'm from Ballymena, haha what a lovely place it is..

EDIT: I've done all the manoeuvres and have passed my theory, woo. I've had six lessons so far. Booking the test soon, nervous but very excited. I need to touch up on controlling my speed (as I always forget to stay at the right speed), along with the manoeuvres as I can do them perfectly with his instructions so I need to learn them myself and I just need to make sure I can observe enough but I know I can. Exciting, I can't wait to get out in my little car!
Got a lesson at 8am tomorrow ahhhhh
StotheL
Yeah, we usually get them not too bad here as I've quite a few friends who failed first time and passed again quickly through a cancellation! I passed my theory, one mark off full marks :smile: woo! So I'll be booking my test within the next two weeks, agh, I definitely won't pass first time though as no one seems to around here. I'm from Ballymena, haha what a lovely place it is..

EDIT: I've done all the manoeuvres and have passed my theory, woo. I've had six lessons so far. Booking the test soon, nervous but very excited. I need to touch up on controlling my speed (as I always forget to stay at the right speed), along with the manoeuvres as I can do them perfectly with his instructions so I need to learn them myself and I just need to make sure I can observe enough but I know I can. Exciting, I can't wait to get out in my little car!

Hmm why are you booking your test after only 6 lessons?

But congrats on passing your theory :biggrin:
Reply 3954
becky.fm
Hmm why are you booking your test after only 6 lessons?

But congrats on passing your theory :biggrin:

Because I can drive well? :s-smilie: I drive everyday in my car with my mum, if she needs to go somewhere then I'll drive so I've got some experience I guess. Most of my friends booked their tests around the 6 lessons mark, some even booked it after 3 lessons. I'm booking my test for 4 weeks away though so I'll get more lessons squeezed in.
StotheL
Because I can drive well? :s-smilie: I drive everyday in my car with my mum, if she needs to go somewhere then I'll drive so I've got some experience I guess. Most of my friends booked their tests around the 6 lessons mark, some even booked it after 3 lessons. I'm booking my test for 4 weeks away though so I'll get more lessons squeezed in.

It's just unusual because most people need around 30 lessons to pass their test.
StotheL

My friend did this and they passed first time, best of luck :smile:
Reply 3957
becky.fm
It's just unusual because most people need around 30 lessons to pass their test.

THIRTY?!? :woo: How much do they charge per lesson? My instructor charges £24 and his lessons last for an hour. Maybe your lessons are shorter are something :s-smilie: Most people have around 5-13 and pass their test! EDIT: (over here they do, sorry that appeared rude!)
StotheL
THIRTY?!? :woo: How much do they charge per lesson? My instructor charges £24 and his lessons last for an hour. Maybe your lessons are shorter are something :s-smilie: Most people have around 5-13 and pass their test! EDIT: (over here they do, sorry that appeared rude!)

Well the govt. guidelines over here suggest 35-40 hours of professional teaching to pass your test. Which they work out at 8 months (1 per week) to pass. And then they suggest extra driving, privately, to top these up. It's about the same.. about £22 a lesson (they are all one hour) round here i think.

I don't know how anyone can learn in 5 lessons, gawd. I was just getting used to driving by that point.. and my clutch control wasn't great then.
I get two hours a week, had two lessons so far, waiting to get insured on my mums car so i can get some extra practice in with that... So far iv got up to third gear, done the typical left and right turnings, thought cant entirely master coming out of a junction (stop to late or to soon hahaha)... like driving, hate the lessons! -I hope to me done by new year! :s-smilie::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest