Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

I'm doing 2 hour lessons whenever me and my instructor can fit them in (so roughly 2 or 3 a week). I'm with the AA so it's £23 per one hour lesson, but I book online and I order in 12 hour blocks, and you save 50p per lesson for ordering online and £2 a lesson for booking 12 at a time, which means I 'only' pay £20 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    Had another lesson today, it went well

I'm finally getting used to mini roundabouts- I can turn left quite well, struggling turning right a little.

Crossroads and t junctions are fine, still using the handbrake when I stop on the line though :P

Got my theory in 3 weeks I have the DSA book and have just been reading the questions and watching some hazard perception clips on the interactive DVD- how else can you prepare?

ReputationRep:
    Had another lesson today. Went well. Got a practice test next week.
    The only thing thats bugging me is my mirrors. I dont dont use them enough !

ReputationRep:
    why do bad things happen to me! i lost my glasses this morning..probably while i was running for the bus lol. anyhooo.... i would get charged to cancel my lesson and i really cant afford to waste money. So for an hour and half we did turn in the road like 4 times and i made her go through most of the show me/ tell me Q. Im not wasting my money lol! ooh i have my test in a few weeks aswell :Oxxx

ReputationRep:
    I've had 6 lessons so far, everything's going pretty well, but accelerating from still is a slight problem, anyone got any tips? I end up either revving too much or accelerating really slowly :\

ReputationRep:
    I was the same and because of it i used to think i was a rubbish driver and that I'd never be good enough to pass my test. The only way to really get it right is practise practise practise. Any problems i thought i had i told my instructor and we worked on that the whole lesson until i got it right.

ReputationRep:
    I've almost had 15 hours now, and loads in my car with my parents - i would say 20-30. Hmm, i'm really considering taking my test in my own car, i'm just more used to it and i think i'm a more better driver as i feel more comfortable in it. It also saves a lot of money.

Do you think instructors mind when you take your test in your car rather than theirs? Any disadvantages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BananaMuffin)
    I've almost had 15 hours now, and loads in my car with my parents - i would say 20-30. Hmm, i'm really considering taking my test in my own car, i'm just more used to it and i think i'm a more better driver as i feel more comfortable in it. It also saves a lot of money.

Do you think instructors mind when you take your test in your car rather than theirs? Any disadvantages?
    If you want to do it in your own car - that's fine. Your instructor won't mind, quite a number of people do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BananaMuffin)

I took my test in my own car, it was fine. The only thing is that the examiner has to have absolute confidence in you at all times, because he/she doesn't have dual controls like they usually do. Plus you need to make sure that it fulfils all of the requirements, i.e extra mirrors

ReputationRep:
    Booked my first lesson for 20th October.

ReputationRep:
    Dan - I've had 6 lessons too and I'm having the same problem, hopefully it will get better with practice!

My lessons are going well and I feel really confident when I'm with my instructor. I've also started practicing with my friend though and it's so much harder!

ReputationRep:
    Got a two hour lesson tomorrow at 9. going to the test centre and doing test routes for first time!.

how long does this normally last? (hours/weeks)

ReputationRep:
    Well I didn't do any test routes at all. Just a few of the nasty roundabouts and stuff. There again I'm a bit of a special case - I went from only knowing one manoeuvre and being a not very good driver to passing my test in 5 weeks...

ReputationRep:
    Just had a two hour lesson. went to the test centre.. and started to do a test routes. Asked my instructor about taking the test in my car and he was totally fine with it! woo

ReputationRep:
    gonna take my last 10 lessons and hopefully i will be ready for the practical test.

ReputationRep:
    Finally got round to booking a lesson with a new instructor (gone back to uni), eeeeeek! Need to pass need to pass...

ReputationRep:
    i've had 7 lessons now and a few hours of practice with a friend. did roundabouts and 3 point turns for the first time last night. i'm slowly getting a feel for things and getting more confident. i'm still a bit hesitant and rely quite a lot on my instructor but i think after a few more hours practice i'll be getting somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    Gah, they have moved my test back by 2 weeks :/ Arghhh!

I might go for one of the 18th Oct, but that might be too soon

ReputationRep:
    im actually begining to realise that my test is soon and im kinda getting nervous BUT i have an exam at uni 2 days before my driving test soo im not as nervous as i expect to be! hope i pass

ReputationRep:
    booked my test :afraid: but its not til the end of november

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.