The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

theory test tomorow :s lol will go ok I hope.
Had a lesson earlier practised a load of reversing round corners, which I have a bit of a problem with because I'm kinda short haha.
equinox3o0o
passed 7 minors im happss!

Well done dude :five:
Impossible princess
theory test tomorow :s lol will go ok I hope.
Had a lesson earlier practised a load of reversing round corners, which I have a bit of a problem with because I'm kinda short haha.

Hope you passed ok :smile:

I had my 4th lesson today, went pretty well actually, only stalled once, starting to do a few things instinctively instead of waiting for my instructor to tell me, didnt almost kill myself on roundabouts either :biggrin:
I don't know whether i want to do my test or not :frown: Mum seems to think that i'm not a very good driver - but i dread to think how many lessons i've had (free, not cost im worried about). Erm, i dunno..
becky.fm
I don't know whether i want to do my test or not :frown: Mum seems to think that i'm not a very good driver - but i dread to think how many lessons i've had (free, not cost im worried about). Erm, i dunno..

Ive lost count how many lessons ive had but i know im not ready. I really think it does depend on the person, my friend had 12 hours and passed easily. my other friend is about to take hers and she must of had around 50 hours.
I would keep practicing as much as you can until YOU feel confident enough to take it and pass!
Reply 4064
becky.fm

If it's free then I would carry on with it until you are sure (apparently when you are ready you know yourself...), then you won't have to pay for a test which your mum doesn't think you are ready for, unless you really think she is wrong or you really need to pass soon :smile:

I had a free "controls" lesson yesterday, ended up driving for about half hour in the end on the main road out of here! I was going 50ish and being told to speed up! The confidence dual controls give someone!

I don't get the car though :frown: I started ok without stalling (although it was flat!), I was on a hill once which I know has awful traffic lights as I always go through there as a passenger, I was getting worried I would have to do a hill start as the lights were red as I came round the corner but green when I got there :biggrin:. It doesn't seem comfortable though, my gear changes are really crazy too! And I managed to go from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th :mad: Only just got round to doing them smoothly in the other car!
Zack
If it's free then I would carry on with it until you are sure (apparently when you are ready you know yourself...), then you won't have to pay for a test which your mum doesn't think you are ready for, unless you really think she is wrong or you really need to pass soon :smile:

I had a free "controls" lesson yesterday, ended up driving for about half hour in the end on the main road out of here! I was going 50ish and being told to speed up! The confidence dual controls give someone!

I don't get the car though :frown: I started ok without stalling (although it was flat!), I was on a hill once which I know has awful traffic lights as I always go through there as a passenger, I was getting worried I would have to do a hill start as the lights were red as I came round the corner but green when I got there :biggrin:. It doesn't seem comfortable though, my gear changes are really crazy too! And I managed to go from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th :mad: Only just got round to doing them smoothly in the other car!

The thing is, the lessons with my mum are getting worse and worse. Until my first test, it was ok, we had a couple of arguments, but nothing major. Now as soon as we set off, it just gets all stressy and a lot of tension builds up between us. So i want to pass so she'll get off my case. And i definitely want to pass quickly! My car looks at me everytime i leave the house :frown:

You'll start to get used to the car more, the more you drive :smile: I hope it all goes well for you. So how much driving have you done?
Reply 4066
becky.fm
The thing is, the lessons with my mum are getting worse and worse. Until my first test, it was ok, we had a couple of arguments, but nothing major. Now as soon as we set off, it just gets all stressy and a lot of tension builds up between us. So i want to pass so she'll get off my case. And i definitely want to pass quickly! My car looks at me everytime i leave the house :frown:

Sounds like that BBC3 show that was on the other week!! Can see how it could get quite bad though! Hopefully you'll pass soon though:smile:

becky.fm
You'll start to get used to the car more, the more you drive :smile: I hope it all goes well for you. So how much driving have you done?

I hope so! Took ages to not stall the one I was in before! I think after stalling infront of the bus that was my determination not to do it again as I was so embarrassed! I have only stalled once since then lol.

Ummm about 6 hours, something like that, with my mate. The instructor said for controls lessons with people who have already driven he would normally give them the choice of easy or hard, where easy means he does the clutch and gears, but I didn't get the choice because I said I had done about 6/7 hours before:frown: :p: So he said it would be better for me to just do it straight off even if I do stall. It was ok in the end but I'm really not looking forward to left/right turns or the stupid traffic lights on a hill!

The next one is Monday but I don’t know when the next will be after that, if I can I might get him to try and give me 2 lessons a week and then my mate said I would get another practice one once a week, don't know if the instructor will agree though or how beneficial that would be to take more than 1 a week :confused:
Zack

Argh, I am useless at hill starts! Just can't do them :frown:
I managed to go into 1st when I wanted 3rd. Needless to say, it was not pleasant :wink:
thebirthoftragedy
I managed to go into 1st when I wanted 3rd. Needless to say, it was not pleasant :wink:

On about my 5th lesson, i was doing a right turn off a REALLY busy road. And i went into 3rd rather than 1st. So when i pulled away, well, you know. Bad times.
thebirthoftragedy

just put a **** load of revs on if you're in doubt lol and its easier
Ive had 19 lessons, done all manouevers apart from Emergancy stop, will have about 5 more lessons then book my test:smile:
oh how it feels good to have passed first time :biggrin: :P
Reply 4072
becky.fm
On about my 5th lesson, i was doing a right turn off a REALLY busy road. And i went into 3rd rather than 1st. So when i pulled away, well, you know. Bad times.

I'm scared of doing that! My biggest worry is stalling in Bristol/Brislington (where the test centre I'm using is), there is a massive hill which is so stop/start during rush and I would be soooo embarrassed!
thebirthoftragedy

I keep getting 2/4 mixed up, annoying when you're trying to come down to 2nd to do a corner and it goes to 4th:mad:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
just put a **** load of revs on if you're in doubt lol and its easier

I don't think the examiner will be too impressed!
oh how it feels good to have passed first time :biggrin: :P

I really do wonder why you have so much neg rep!?
Zack
I'm scared of doing that! My biggest worry is stalling in Bristol/Brislington (where the test centre I'm using is), there is a massive hill which is so stop/start during rush and I would be soooo embarrassed!

I keep getting 2/4 mixed up, annoying when you're trying to come down to 2nd to do a corner and it goes to 4th:mad:

I don't think the examiner will be too impressed!

I really do wonder why you have so much neg rep!?

Don't worry about stalling, i stalled in my test

you probably know this (or maybe you don't) but the gearstick is filled with springs so for fourth just knock it into the middle push down with your fingers and don't grab the stick and for second push to the left then down :smile:

why not? i don't mean excessive i just mean more than usual lol eg if you can pull off with 1k use 2.5k

and haha you love it :P
Reply 4074
Booked my theory test, it's in 2 weeks!

Had 14 hours now, and I'm also gonna start practising in my my mum's car.

Hope to take my practical exam after 20-odd hours of lessons.

Done everything apart from emergency stops I think
Had about 12 hours :smile:
Done everything apart from bay parking and parallel parking!

Got my theory next thursday!:biggrin:
Hope you passed ok

Yeah I passed thanks :smile: 49/50 and 60/75 I was actually getting quite worked up about the hazard perception test, but I can officially say it is nothing to worry about now!
Just a case of doing the damned practical now :/ I need to seriously work on my monouvers before I even think of taking it though!
Reply 4077
Am I right in thinking that if I fail the reversing round corners/parallel parking etc in the test it’s a major fault? If it’s minor I’ll be so happy, can’t see myself being able to do any things like this properly! If it's minor then never mind if it's wrong (that's why I'll get about 40 minors on my test with that attitude!

Don't worry about stalling, i stalled in my test

When I get used to the car I should (hopefully) be ok, I don't think I'll swap cars in the week or 2 leading up to the test though unless I get good at switching between the 2, if it goes like yesterday every time I switch i'll never pass! Like you say stalling is fine, it's repeated stalling they do you for :frown:. When I stall once though (if it's on a stupid hill) it'll probably be 2 or 3 before I move lol

you probably know this (or maybe you don't) but the gearstick is filled with springs so for fourth just knock it into the middle push down with your fingers and don't grab the stick and for second push to the left then down :smile:

Yea used to do it in all those arcade games (that's where my crazy things come from!) I just end up knocking it or something when trying to steer/avoid the lamppost etc!

why not? i don't mean excessive i just mean more than usual lol eg if you can pull off with 1k use 2.5k

and haha you love it :P

A small amount more maybe, but if it sounds too loud they won't like it, plus it scares horses etc

lol!
Zack

QUOTE]

same test centre as me! and i live in somerset :biggrin:
second lesson and I drove all the way back to my house (which was at least quite a way away!!) :biggrin:. Never driven before those 2 lessons aswell!

My driving instructor is moving me on fairly rapidly, and I think he hates the idea of my passing in a few lessons hehe.

Quick Reply

Latest