The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Impossible princess
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Does anyone else find practising with parents just awful?
I found it pretty awful with my boyfriend tbh. Didn't help that the car was absolutely knackerd, he looked like he was crapping himself half the time haha and I couldn't help taking offence when he criticized me sometimes!
Dan?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hmmm had 16 hours now. Has anyone else found that the test routes printed off the dsa website have loads of mistakes?

Got reverse around corner sorted now
Kelly^2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dan?)
test routes printed off the dsa website
Didn't know these existed to be honest! You got a link?
Dan?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kelly^2)
Didn't know these existed to be honest! You got a link?
It was my driving instructor who printed them off actually, but I just had a look and you just click on your driving test centre and on the right you can download the routes.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/atozdtcinfo.asp?cat=38
musicforsanity
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Failed my first driving test back in early September and resitting in two weeks.
Have to pass this one or it'll be a very long wait til I can sit it again. Driving tests are backed up until the end of January next year.

Fingers crossed eh!
alexa123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *******)
Does anyone else find practising with parents just awful?
Kind of.
Well ive only been once with mum as ive only just got my car, and i would rather go than not at all but she was quite nervous which made me a bit panicy! But i think it is scary for them as they have no control over what you do when you are in the drivers seat.

Hopefully now she has released im not as bad as she thought she will calm down a bit!!
overclocked
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Passed my theory !
BananaMuffin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OMG i have booked my test

1st December, but looking for cancellations.

I am so nervous already, a month comes round quick! I really don't want to fail, mainly because of the money! but i'd love for it to be a first time pass, but tbh i really can't see it happening because of the stupid mistakes i made on my mock.

Is a month long enough to improve the silly mistakes i keep doing? (For example speed limits, missing 1 mirror check when bay parking, Road markings - i stopped the car too far over the line at a couple of roundabouts)
thebirthoftragedy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Passed my theory! Yay
ace101
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BananaMuffin)
OMG i have booked my test

1st December, but looking for cancellations.

I am so nervous already, a month comes round quick! I really don't want to fail, mainly because of the money! but i'd love for it to be a first time pass, but tbh i really can't see it happening because of the stupid mistakes i made on my mock.

Is a month long enough to improve the silly mistakes i keep doing? (For example speed limits, missing 1 mirror check when bay parking, Road markings - i stopped the car too far over the line at a couple of roundabouts)
depends on how many hours of practice that you have in the week. 2 hours a week and then you should be fine.
Cy4nide
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Provisional arrived today! Currently looking for a driving instructor, the one my cousin leart with was only £19 p/h so I'm gonna check them out.

My Mum and Dad don't drive so private lessons are gonna be difficult but a family friend has offered to take me out in her car sometimes but I feel a bit bad asking lol I don't want to interrupt on their spare time or anything xD

Still confused about how to save up for my car though. Do I save while having my lessons or wait until I pass untill I start saving? I don't want to pass and then wait 6 months until I can afford a car. And do I save up extra for insurance or should I buy the car first and keep it in the driveway until I've saved for insurance? Lol so confusing!
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cy4nide)
Provisional arrived today! Currently looking for a driving instructor, the one my cousin leart with was only £19 p/h so I'm gonna check them out.

My Mum and Dad don't drive so private lessons are gonna be difficult but a family friend has offered to take me out in her car sometimes but I feel a bit bad asking lol I don't want to interrupt on their spare time or anything xD

Still confused about how to save up for my car though. Do I save while having my lessons or wait until I pass untill I start saving? I don't want to pass and then wait 6 months until I can afford a car. And do I save up extra for insurance or should I buy the car first and keep it in the driveway until I've saved for insurance? Lol so confusing!
Depends on how much you save each week really, if you save say £20+ a week then it might be worth putting that into another lesson a week and possibly passing quicker. On the other hand if you are only able or only want to do one lesson a week then saving for a car now would be good (plus if you put it into a ISA account you get interest on it). Do you have a proper off-road driveway? As if you park it on the road you need insurance, police round here tow loads of cars away for not having it! So if that's the case you would need to save for insurance too. Plus even if you do have a off-road drive, do you really want to have your nice new car sitting there that you can't drive!? That would be even worse than not having one for me!

Luckily, I don’t have to make this decision as I don’t want a car! Although if I do ever pass and get into uni I think I might change my mind! I know people who have done it both ways really, but one of them passed his test the other week, but isn’t happy as he can’t drive yet!
Cy4nide
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Depends on how much you save each week really, if you save say £20+ a week then it might be worth putting that into another lesson a week and possibly passing quicker. On the other hand if you are only able or only want to do one lesson a week then saving for a car now would be good (plus if you put it into a ISA account you get interest on it). Do you have a proper off-road driveway? As if you park it on the road you need insurance, police round here tow loads of cars away for not having it! So if that's the case you would need to save for insurance too. Plus even if you do have a off-road drive, do you really want to have your nice new car sitting there that you can't drive!? That would be even worse than not having one for me!

Luckily, I don’t have to make this decision as I don’t want a car! Although if I do ever pass and get into uni I think I might change my mind! I know people who have done it both ways really, but one of them passed his test the other week, but isn’t happy as he can’t drive yet!
Hmm, the ISA account thing is a good idea, I should probably check interest rates, I've got 2 bank accounts and a post office account so I'll see where I can get best interest.

How comes you don't want a car? Do you prefer motorbikes? I used to want a motorbike but my Dad said that I'll realise I'll be better off with a car, a motorbike can't really carry anything lol!

We do have an off road driveway yes, I think I read somewhere that I won't have to pay off road expenses or tax on it like I would if it's kept on the street.

Mums bought me some lessons for my birthday so maybe if I save up as much as I can while using the bought lessons I'll have a bit extra for when I start using my own money to pay for my lessons.

And maybe if it takes longer to learn than it does to save up (which it probably will do!) I can practise in my own car
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cy4nide)
Hmm, the ISA account thing is a good idea, I should probably check interest rates, I've got 2 bank accounts and a post office account so I'll see where I can get best interest.

How comes you don't want a car? Do you prefer motorbikes? I used to want a motorbike but my Dad said that I'll realise I'll be better off with a car, a motorbike can't really carry anything lol!

We do have an off road driveway yes, I think I read somewhere that I won't have to pay off road expenses or tax on it like I would if it's kept on the street.

Mums bought me some lessons for my birthday so maybe if I save up as much as I can while using the bought lessons I'll have a bit extra for when I start using my own money to pay for my lessons.

And maybe if it takes longer to learn than it does to save up (which it probably will do!) I can practise in my own car
No I would never go for a bike, I just wouldn't use a car round here, that's why if I get into uni I might get one (although that would depend on parking and things too) but otherwise not at the moment.

Oh cool, yea don't think you have to if it's off-road which is a good thing. Yea getting used to your car (by using it for some actual lessons and the test) would be good, my mate found it really strange first time out in his new car after passing the test as he hadn't practiced in it. Some people take to it better than others though, and obviously everyone will get used to it eventually anyway.

Good luck with learning, and good luck with your test BananaMuffin!
BananaMuffin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
No I would never go for a bike, I just wouldn't use a car round here, that's why if I get into uni I might get one (although that would depend on parking and things too) but otherwise not at the moment.

Oh cool, yea don't think you have to if it's off-road which is a good thing. Yea getting used to your car (by using it for some actual lessons and the test) would be good, my mate found it really strange first time out in his new car after passing the test as he hadn't practiced in it. Some people take to it better than others though, and obviously everyone will get used to it eventually anyway.

Good luck with learning, and good luck with your test BananaMuffin!
Thanks
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just had another lesson on left and right turns in Odd Down (another area I used to live) so I knew what was coming up and was breaking for what I knew would be a hill before a T-Junction, he said I'll have to go somewhere I don't know and as I know most of Bath it'll have to be him randomly saying right and left where I am not expecting it. I did left ok so went onto right, nearly hit the cones in middle of the road on my first time lol (turning from minor to major they are right by where you straighten up). Then had to drive back, this bus was stopping (couldn't go round it) so I slowed right down and managed to come to a crawl then it moved off again .

I feel so stupid though, at one junction there was always lots of traffic so I had the handbrake on and one time I took my foot off the clutch because it hurts a bit to keep it there (is that normal!?). Obviously I stalled, I keep doing stupid things like that! When I'm actually driving I'm ok but it's just all the other stuff like turning from stationary and starting smoothly (he’s still moaning at me for not doing the clutch smoothly, I’m getting better now though (I think!?)). Ahhhhhhhh it’s going to take ages at this rate!

Having 2 a week is helping though so even if it costs lots I just hope I pass!
BananaMuffin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Just had another lesson on left and right turns in Odd Down (another area I used to live) so I knew what was coming up and was breaking for what I knew would be a hill before a T-Junction, he said I'll have to go somewhere I don't know and as I know most of Bath it'll have to be him randomly saying right and left where I am not expecting it. I did left ok so went onto right, nearly hit the cones in middle of the road on my first time lol (turning from minor to major they are right by where you straighten up). Then had to drive back, this bus was stopping (couldn't go round it) so I slowed right down and managed to come to a crawl then it moved off again .

I feel so stupid though, at one junction there was always lots of traffic so I had the handbrake on and one time I took my foot off the clutch because it hurts a bit to keep it there (is that normal!?). Obviously I stalled, I keep doing stupid things like that! When I'm actually driving I'm ok but it's just all the other stuff like turning from stationary and starting smoothly (he’s still moaning at me for not doing the clutch smoothly, I’m getting better now though (I think!?)). Ahhhhhhhh it’s going to take ages at this rate!

Having 2 a week is helping though so even if it costs lots I just hope I pass!
Odd down! i live by there :eek: who is your instructor? what car do you learn in?

and don't worry, eveyone comes out the habit of stalling, and turning into junctions will gradually become smoother
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BananaMuffin)
Odd down! i live by there :eek: who is your instructor? what car do you learn in?

and don't worry, eveyone comes out the habit of stalling, and turning into junctions will gradually become smoother
Haha! It's a Ford Fusion. I hate that turning onto Bloomfield Road!!

I hope so! It's pretty scary to think that I could drive on my own (with nobody to save me going into another car/post/person) in like 8 months though :eek:. Now I have started I really want to pass, I can just see it being a long, long, long process lol! :banghead:

If I get on well I might try and get a lesson every day for the next half term to go through everything I am learning around then and try and get everything smooth, that'll be interesting! Consistent practice like that should (hopefully) help, that's why I wanted to go on a intensive one, but that's like £1,500 including somewhere to stay:eek:.
grace_xo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont know what to do! Just had my 25th lesson and my instructor says i should book my test ASAP however i just don't think i'll be able to do it...
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just booked another lesson for Wednesday, with a new school, after the hassle I had in the summer. Kinda looking forward to it, although it'll be in the dark...
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (151)
18.04%
No (510)
60.93%
Not really bothered about them (176)
21.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise