The Learner driver progression thread Watch

overclocked
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys,

I have my test on the 12th January at 9:17..is this an okay time to have it? Any advice would be helpful
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bob9001)
Hey guys,

I have my test on the 12th January at 9:17..is this an okay time to have it? Any advice would be helpful
9:17 lol!?

Be a lot of traffic around then won't there!?
Anderson8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys,

Busy
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Ha, yea I knew they wouldn't keep my money but didn't want to look for a new date only to find other choices on my original date were taken too so I need a later one!

That's cool then, will probably be about 27-30 by the time you get your test because of waiting times, that's about average (or so my mate says). I have had 7 hours so far (2 a week, 2nd of this week tomorrow) plus probably about the same with my friend so somewhere in between 15-20hours total. I really started late though (birthday was in May) wish I started earlier now as now I have even more pressure to pass by the summer for uni (which is why I’m doing 2 lessons a week, or I would be even later, 1 a week would mean it’s taken 2 months to get where I am rather than 1, certainly reduces the chances with test waiting time and all that!).

Haven't done that yet luckily, but says he likes people to have a good standard of general driving as our awareness etc will help with reverse parking etc (observation is one of the main things people fail (!?) on, by now I'm used to checking my mirrors (well when I feel like it, I forgot sometimes)), but he says the next 5 or 6 hours following tomorrows lesson (so 3 weeks) will be spent on reversing etc as for some reason he thinks I'll be able to do it well and quickly so should only take that long :eek:. I have a feeling it'll be more like 6 weeks min to get bay parking/round a corner etc done properly :eek: :banghead:.

I might do what one of my mates did if it takes too long just to perfect one, move on and hope I’m not asked to do that one in the test! Got to be cheaper than having lessons over and over!!

Haha, I need to know to improve for next time!! :p: That's why I am getting so high on the computer DVD I think as I know from before, so I think it'll have to be a case of seeing what it's really like and possibly failing as it doesn't seem like I'm moving forward at all with anything at the moment

Thanks, that's so annoying though!!! About the worst way possible!!!
Hopefully! I havn't had any private practise cause mother won't insure her car for me, lol!

Haha, when's your birthday? Mines the 13th of may!

At least you getting close to passing now. I get confused with the manouvers cause my instructor is like, "Ok, tell me when the corner disappears", and I'm like, "Ummmm, well, what do you define as a corner?"
"Well has the kerb disappeared?"
"No.."
"It should have!"
"It's hasn't.."
"Are you sure?" :p:

Anyways, don't you get like 7 mins per manouver on your test? In that case I'd just take my time and try not to worry about it. :o:
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn)
Hopefully! I havn't had any private practise cause mother won't insure her car for me, lol!

Haha, when's your birthday? Mines the 13th of may!

At least you getting close to passing now. I get confused with the manouvers cause my instructor is like, "Ok, tell me when the corner disappears", and I'm like, "Ummmm, well, what do you define as a corner?"
"Well has the kerb disappeared?"
"No.."
"It should have!"
"It's hasn't.."
"Are you sure?" :p:

Anyways, don't you get like 7 mins per manouver on your test? In that case I'd just take my time and try not to worry about it. :o:
LOL, mines 6th May

Haha, yea it's like when you're going to cut in from right "lane" to left at the roundabout to turn off check your left side mirror!? He only told me that last lesson, all the others I have just been cutting in and it's been ok:o: I suppose it's because of the big glowing learning thing on top of the car lol, if I'm in a normal car they'll probably smash into me, don't get when I'm supposed to be looking for, if I do see someone there I can't really just stop in the middle of the roundabout until they have gone past can I!? :confused:

I thought it was 5 minutes or if you hit the kerb (minor?) or someone/something else (major lol) then they would just tell you to drive on. Yea lots of people try to do it in like a minute, I'm taking forever.
overclocked
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anderson8)
Busy
Will it?

Whenever I have gone out at around 9.30..there aren't many people around because people are already at work/children at school ?
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
LOL, mines 6th May

Haha, yea it's like when you're going to cut in from right "lane" to left at the roundabout to turn off check your left side mirror!? He only told me that last lesson, all the others I have just been cutting in and it's been ok:o: I suppose it's because of the big glowing learning thing on top of the car lol, if I'm in a normal car they'll probably smash into me, don't get when I'm supposed to be looking for, if I do see someone there I can't really just stop in the middle of the roundabout until they have gone past can I!? :confused:

I thought it was 5 minutes or if you hit the kerb (minor?) or someone/something else (major lol) then they would just tell you to drive on. Yea lots of people try to do it in like a minute, I'm taking forever.
Awww we're nearly birthday sharers haha!

Yeah I don't see the point cause when I look in the mirror at that point it's just a big silver mess of nothingness lol! I think though it's to make sure nothing is overtaking you?

Aw my instructor told me 7 mins. Ah well I don't think it'll take that long anyways. :p:

Btw, see on the car insurance websites, you know it asks how much you car is worth, what does it mean?
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Will it?

Whenever I have gone out at around 9.30..there aren't many people around because people are already at work/children at school ?
I personally think that all the times tend to be fairly similar in terms of how busy it is. I've had tests at 8:40 and 12:45.. and both were about the same. Unless your in a city, then obviously it's different.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I don't see the point cause when I look in the mirror at that point it's just a big silver mess of nothingness lol! I think though it's to make sure nothing is overtaking you?
Yup, you're just glancing into it to see if there's another car besides your own. You don't need to look hard into it, just enough to see if there's something there that usually isn't.
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Awww we're nearly birthday sharers haha!

Aw my instructor told me 7 mins. Ah well I don't think it'll take that long anyways. :p:

Btw, see on the car insurance websites, you know it asks how much you car is worth, what does it mean?
Haha!! One of my friends is born on May 14th (but 1990 not 1991) so she said we nearly were, only the year out though! :p: :eek:

Yea exactly it's just nothingness, what is the point! I never use the side ones anyway and the instructor has been saying I’m doing well so far! I know I’ll have to make a big deal about using them in the test though :rolleyes:. Yea the overtaking seems right but if you wait someone will probably smash into the back of you! Anyway if they’re overtaking isn’t it their problem to break as they need to ensure they can overtake in good time?

That's how much you paid for it isn't it? Maybe! Isn't there a choice to put what you paid for it and when (say 12 months ago) then they will work out it's new value (slightly less)? I don't know really as I'm not interested in getting a car yet because of insurance etc and I don’t need it yet. Do you know anywhere that does short term insurance? All the ones I have found say (hidden somewhere in T&Cs) that it’s only for over 21/25 .
username156343
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You will eventually die if you don't check your side mirrors, and examiners will be able to tell if you aren't really paying attention to them.
BananaMuffin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My test is in 10 days (1st December)... i can't seem to stop thinking about it! For some reason i am certain i will fail, i know a few people who have took their test there and most failed a few times...

I know i can drive! *think positive*, my main concern is roundabouts really. Its weird there is a possiblity in 10 days time i could be driving on my own! i would be so happy!
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Haha!! One of my friends is born on May 14th (but 1990 not 1991) so she said we nearly were, only the year out though! :p: :eek:

Yea exactly it's just nothingness, what is the point! I never use the side ones anyway and the instructor has been saying I’m doing well so far! I know I’ll have to make a big deal about using them in the test though :rolleyes:. Yea the overtaking seems right but if you wait someone will probably smash into the back of you! Anyway if they’re overtaking isn’t it their problem to break as they need to ensure they can overtake in good time?

That's how much you paid for it isn't it? Maybe! Isn't there a choice to put what you paid for it and when (say 12 months ago) then they will work out it's new value (slightly less)? I don't know really as I'm not interested in getting a car yet because of insurance etc and I don’t need it yet. Do you know anywhere that does short term insurance? All the ones I have found say (hidden somewhere in T&Cs) that it’s only for over 21/25 .
One of my best friends is the 12th may and another friend is the 13th too :p:

I agree with the roundabout thing, but I do use my side mirrors when pulling out and going in, cause my instructor used to shout at me for not doing it haha!

I'm confused cause on that Quinn direct website, I put down a 2001 Seat Leon, my mum paid £3000 for it, so I'm assuming that's it's value? Anyways it's came out with £598.28... doesn't that seem really low? But I've probs done something wrong because I don't know that first thing about cars or insurance lol!

I've no idea about short term insurance, sorry.
Is that for like insuring someone elses car for you to learn in?
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I agree with the roundabout thing, but I do use my side mirrors when pulling out and going in, cause my instructor used to shout at me for not doing it haha!

I'm confused cause on that Quinn direct website, I put down a 2001 Seat Leon, my mum paid £3000 for it, so I'm assuming that's it's value? Anyways it's came out with £598.28... doesn't that seem really low? But I've probs done something wrong because I don't know that first thing about cars or insurance lol!

Haha, crazy!

Oh yea I have to check over my right shoulder when pulling out, he used to go mad, I was parked at the end of a housing estate, there can not possibly be anyone overtaking me!!

Lol no idea, maybe phone one and ask them then you can use that value when comparing others (even though you aren't getting insurance from the company you phone lol, just so a experienced person can say)

You can get that too, it's insurance for a specific day or a week/month/3 months etc, whereas most insurance is for a full year (some allow you to get refunds but it's hell/some may charge penalties etc).
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Yes, that is it's value.

And Quinn direct are a lot cheaper than elsewhere, that's about what my insurance is (on a much older car ), elsewhere started at about £280 more.

And a site for Learners to insure cars shorter term, from 28 days. http://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/
BananaMuffin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GemmyMonster)
Yes, that is it's value.

And Quinn direct are a lot cheaper than elsewhere, that's about what my insurance is (on a much older car ), elsewhere started at about £280 more.

And a site for Learners to insure cars shorter term, from 28 days. http://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/
I'm with Quinn Direct and it cost me around £450 to get insured as main driver for a year!
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BananaMuffin)
I'm with Quinn Direct and it cost me around £450 to get insured as main driver for a year!

Can everybody get quotes like this? If so why do people complain about really expensive insurance so much?
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BananaMuffin)

Hmm, how old are you though? I'm 17 and a learner. In a 12 year old Fiesta :yep: And lucky! Not too bothered though, just glad I could about afford it:woo:
BananaMuffin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GemmyMonster)
Hmm, how old are you though? I'm 17 and a learner. In a 12 year old Fiesta :yep: And lucky! Not too bothered though, just glad I could about afford it:woo:
17, learner too. Ford KA 1999. My mum is a named driver if that makes it any cheaper?
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Haha, crazy!

Oh yea I have to check over my right shoulder when pulling out, he used to go mad, I was parked at the end of a housing estate, there can not possibly be anyone overtaking me!!

Lol no idea, maybe phone one and ask them then you can use that value when comparing others (even though you aren't getting insurance from the company you phone lol, just so a experienced person can say)

You can get that too, it's insurance for a specific day or a week/month/3 months etc, whereas most insurance is for a full year (some allow you to get refunds but it's hell/some may charge penalties etc).

Lol I hate it when they shout at you! :p:

Oooooh I'll maybe I'll look into this temporary insurance thing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads